Can such DSTBs be used for other FTA channels/satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

intellizen

Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Dear friends,

I am absolutely new to the exciting world of DTH and DSTBs. I have recently bought a package by Dishtv india and have been provided with a korean made Handan Broadinfocom CD-1005S DSTB .After buying this package I realized the service provider is not airing much worthwhile channels.Now my question is can I see other FTA channels through this DSTB or am constrained to remain tied to this service provider alone.The specifications of my DSTB are given in detail below.The service provider is airing its programs through NSS6 satellite in India.Another mischief this service provider has done is that through an automatic software update it seems it has made the add/delete function of the DSTB dysfunctional. I really do not know whether I can download some software from somewhere to install on this DSTB to make it responsive to other FTA satellites/channels or this DSTB as such can pick up those FTA programs.With no such forums in sight in India I am constrained to ask you for help/advice in this matter.Thanks in anticipation.

Intellizen

1. Tuner & Channel:
Input connector I x F type with lOOp through
Output Connector lx F type 75 Ohm, IF signal out
Frequency range 950MHz to 2I5OMHz
Input impedance 75 Ohm
Signal level -25 to -65dBm
LNB power & polarization Vertical 13.5V ±IV
Horizontal 18.5V ± iv
22kHz tone Frequency 22kHz ± 2kHz
Amplitude O.6Vp-p ± O.2Vp-p
Demodulation QPSK
Input symbol rate 2 - 45Msps
FEC decoder Convolutional code rate
1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 with constraint
Length M=7
2. MPEG transport stream A/V Decoding:
Transport stream MPEG2 ISO/lEC 13818
Transport stream specification
Profile & level MPEG2 MP @ ML
Input T/S data rate 80Mbit/S max.
Aspect ratio 4:3(Full, Center, Letter Box), 16:9
Video resolution 720 x 576 (PAL), 720 x 480 (NTSC)
Audio decoding MPEG audio layer 1 & 2, musicam
Audio mode Stereo, dual channel, joint stereo, mono
Sampling rate 32, 44.1 and 48kHz

3. Memory:
Flash memory Up to 2M bytes
Program DRAM Up to 8M byte
Memory
FlashMemory upto 2M bytes
Program DRAM upto 8M byte
EEPROM 2K bytes
4. A/V & Data in/out:
CVBS video out RCA x I
Analog audio out RCA x 2 (L-CH x 1, R-CH x 1)
Resolution l6bit DAC
Output Level 2Vrms Max
Data interface: RS232C, Baud Rate 9600 115200, 9PjnD-Sub

5. PCMCIA:
Number of Slot 1
Type I, II DVB Common Interface Standard
6. Conditional Access: Embedded CONAX 1 Smart Card Reader

7. RF-Modulator:
RF-connect 750hm, 1EC169-2, male/female
Output frequency 54MHz to 68MHz
470MHz to 860MHz
Output channel( VHF) CH 3 and CH 4
Output channel(UHF) CH21 CH69
TV standard PAL B/G
Dish Size 30" approx.

Intellizen,
Hello welcome to the forum! As soon as anyone knows the answers they will post here, please check back often as people come and go all the time and hopefully someone will answer you questions in time, Good Luck!

Off Topic!
I come from the UK and we are BIG fans of Indian food, any chance of giving us the recipe for Pakora or Vegetable Samosa, I am very interested in your country and culture, hope to see a lot more of you here, all the best!

OK I found the website of the manufacturer, http://www.handan.co.kr/english/main4.htm
It is a FTA receiver but the only question is do you have the capability to enter and edit satellites and transponders or did the company you are receiving service from load proprietary software on the unit to prevent this.
Have you tried to investigate the on screen menus to find installation options?

Thanks for your help.i did try to ask the company for the propriety FTAsoftware but they have'nt responded to my mail.Can any other fta software be loaded on this set?

Hi All,

I have the same problem. In the edit menu, the add channels and satellites option is not available. If there is a patch for this please let me know. Thanks.

Networks.

The Ku band DTH market in India has registered its millionth subscriber recently. But unfortunately, the availability of receivers in India is officially limited to doctored Zenega CD-1005S receivers from the Essel Group, and cheap ones from Indian Government's official broadcaster, Doordarshan. There appears to be some deliberate attempt to keep tabs on the DTH customers, so as not to allow them to shift to other broadcasters. Remember, Rupert Murdoch was ready to bring in DTH to India way back in 1997, and the Indian Government deliberately stalled its advent in the name of censorship. Even today he is struggling to get a licence for bringing in a StarTV-TATA collaboration DTH service into Indian market. I have a feeling that the problem being faced is more because of the policy of the Government, which is a product of fear of control by foreign media. You have to check the DTH part of the Prasar Bharti bill which the Indian Parliament had passed, to be sure.

However, black / grey market third party (=undoctored) receivers must be available in places like Delhi in India. Therefore, would any member here from Delhi like to throw some light on this?

Hi

I'm in Calcutta, India. I was looking to build my own DTH setup by buying the antenna and STB from the open market instead of subscribing to Zee's Dish TV. I plan to use the setup to receive DD Direct network initially and then possibly migrate to STAR's spaceTV when its available.

Thus I was looking for help in terms of suggestion for a STB which has component output to connect to the TV and works with BIS standards and have EN 50221 common interface specification as required by the Indian govt for all broadcasters to follow. The conditional access system/scrambling to follow DVB-S (EN 300421) and DVB-CSA (ETR-289) standards.

I was also wondering if I can receive any international FTA channels using the same setup?

thanks,
Vineet

"The conditional access system/scrambling to follow DVB-S (EN 300421) and DVB-CSA (ETR-289) standards."

Wouldn't that be stealing? Remember we do not discuss signal theft on this forum!

I guess you got it wrong. Here in India we have only two options for DTH reception as of this writing, Zee's DishTV offering is a paid service with not very good channel content and the other is from Indian govt. owned DD Direct which has mainly govt. sponsered FTA channels with few other channels which are of no use. Since DTH is new in India the govt. has set certain standards for all broadcasters to follow to maintain interoperatibility so that the consumers can reuse their components when they switch their content providers.

I wanted to go for a decent biggener's setup so that I can use it to get all the FTA channels offered by DD Direct and if possible any other FTA offering that has its footprint in India. I wanted to know if there is a posibility of receiving any other FTA content in India besides DD Direct right now?

Star's Space TV is trying for govt. clearance and is expected to launch some time this year which will bring competetion to this segment and thus the contents of both SpaceTV and DishTV should improve. I plan to then migrate from FTA to paid content thus I wanted to know a STB to serve all the above purpose.

thanks.

Vineet.

I'm not facing such a problem...!!!

Hi all...
I have a Zenega CD-1025S STB that came along with Dish TV's service...
even after the Dish TV have introduced the new software update, i'm able to add new TP (Transponders) in face i just checked it right now...
to add a new transponder i need to go to menu then to personal settings then to edit tp & press the yellow button on the remote...

moreover i can go to the search tp page & highlight the Transponder (TP) & again press the yellow button...

as such I can add new TPs and view more channels if available...

There is a free-to-air Chinese Channel on NSS-6 sattelite on the following parameters
Frequency: 11088
Polarity: Horizontal (H)
Symbol Rate: 29500

Also the people who wanna but the STBs from the market...
I have a great site for you.

w/w/w . a/p/n/a/d/t/h . c/o/m (Please exclude /s)

go check it out...!!!

Hi Navmeet,

Apnadth is a good site but they have not given any price points, one has to call them up for the same. This is not a major issue, but if the prices are mentioned against each option then its easier to decide.

I think one needs to go for a motorized dish since it gives you much greater flexibility than adjusting the dish manually. Since apnadth promotes FTA, they should carry a motorized set in their available choices.

I guess very few ppl are aware as to how much FTA channels one can receive in India. Apnadth lists some 90 FTA channels (with a combined C + KU band dish) which includes a big chunk from DD. Assuming this 90 channels they are talking about is by keeping the dish stationery pointed to NSS6 (I'm not very sure), thus many more can be received with a motorized dish provided other satellites has their footprint upon India and carry FTAs. Any ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)