Can the external hard drive on the 722k be used to playback content on a 211K?

ricwhite

Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Layton, UT
I have a 722K DVR to which I have connected an external hard drive. My 211k died on my second TV and I'm considering replacement options. I would like DVR capability on my 211K and I heard I can connect a EHD to it. So I'm wondering . . . If I want to watch content recorded on my EHD on the 722K, can I just connect that EHD to my 211K and watch whatever programming was saved off the 722K? That way I can use the same EHD on both units by switching back and forth depending on where I want to watch the content. Will that work or must I get an additional EHD exclusively for the 211K?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Rick

Two different things. One was an EHD fee that doesn't exist anymore. The other was a fee to turn the 211 into a DVR. So yes, you'll need to pay the 40 dollars for the 211 DVR function.

Yep.

BTW they don't charge the $40 for ViP722s anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Better option is get another 722. Then the ehd can be used on either receiver. ehd's are linked to the account, not the receiver. If you ever upgrade to a Hopper, they will work with that.

Thanks for the replies. Since I have to replace the 211k anyway and it's going to cost me $40 to turn it into a DVR, maybe I'm better off just to upgrade to a Hopper and Joey system.

Better option is get another 722. Then the ehd can be used on either receiver. ehd's are linked to the account, not the receiver. If you ever upgrade to a Hopper, they will work with that.

I understand, though, that another 722K will cost an extra $17 a month. That's over $200 a year - which is far more than the $40 for an EHD for the 211K.

Thanks for the replies. Since I have to replace the 211k anyway and it's going to cost me $40 to turn it into a DVR, maybe I'm better off just to upgrade to a Hopper and Joey system.

That would be the best option. That way, if you get another hdtv, you can just add a Joey and have access to all the recordings on the Hopper or ehd. Also, the Hopper supports 2 attached ehd's at a time.

There you go!!!!! You will be so glad you did.

Better option to replace the ViP211 would be a ViP612. DVR functionality while maintaining EHD portability at a much lower cost than a Duo DVR.

Yep,$10 per month instead of $17,and although it only supports one tv,it does have dual tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts