Can the Joey pause live TV?

Ack

Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
United States
A DirecTV retentions rep just swore up and down to me that when watching live TV on a Joey you can't pause, FF, rewind without first recording the show and waiting 30-60 seconds for it to buffer. I was under the impression that you could simply press "pause" and immediately pause any live show, whether you're watching from the Hopper or the Joey. True or False?

You can also do more than pause. You can resume, resume in slo mo, 30 sec skip, 10 sec rewind, ff, or rev, or jump to live TV. In addition, when watching a recorded show, the Joey's response to 30 sec skip, fast fwd, etc is much better than my previous D* system with MRV.

Thanks for the info. That's what I suspected.

One more question: I the TV I need to hook the Joey to is HD, but will only take component input (no HDMI). From photos I've seen, it looks like the Joey doesn't have a component output and requires HDMI for HD. What are my options here? Can I use some kind of converter, or will HDCP prevent that from working?

If PIP isn't a big deal for you, just put the Hopper by the TV that needs component and the Joey at an HDMI TV.

Well, it's actually not that easy in my case. I simplified the description of my setup in my first post to make my question less confusing. My actual setup will be both the Hopper and the Joey together in a network closet connected to an AV distribution switch that allows me to send the output to any of 5 TVs in my house. My switch only accepts component input -- no HDMI. So both the Hopper and the Joey will have to be attached via component. If I'm understanding correctly the Hopper has native HD component output, so no problem there. The Joey is HDMI only, so I'll have to convert that to component somehow. Is this possible? If so, how?

Well, it's actually not that easy in my case. I simplified the description of my setup in my first post to make my question less confusing. My actual setup will be both the Hopper and the Joey together in a network closet connected to an AV distribution switch that allows me to send the output to any of 5 TVs in my house. My switch only accepts component input -- no HDMI. So both the Hopper and the Joey will have to be attached via component. If I'm understanding correctly the Hopper has native HD component output, so no problem there. The Joey is HDMI only, so I'll have to convert that to component somehow. Is this possible? If so, how?

You can get a converter.They range in price this is one of the cheaper ones.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...ot-HDMI-Cable/6055589/product.html?cid=123620

You can get a converter.They range in price this is one of the cheaper ones.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...ot-HDMI-Cable/6055589/product.html?cid=123620

Some of the reviews on that page say that the converter doesn't work properly for HDCP protected content. Is this a concern with the Joey?

Might be better to use two Hoppers, same monthly fee.

My understanding is that using two hoppers won't give me a unified recording list (i.e., I'd have two separate recorded program lists, one on each hopper). I really need one unified list that lets me program and watch recordings from both TVs.

Some of the reviews on that page say that the converter doesn't work properly for HDCP protected content. Is this a concern with the Joey?

My understanding is that using two hoppers won't give me a unified recording list (i.e., I'd have two separate recorded program lists, one on each hopper). I really need one unified list that lets me program and watch recordings from both TVs.
You can bridge the hoppers and they can see each other recordings-

You can watch recordings on either Hopper from either Hopper, you just choose which one from a dropdown list.

A DirecTV retentions rep just swore up and down to me that when watching live TV on a Joey you can't pause, FF, rewind without first recording the show and waiting 30-60 seconds for it to buffer. I was under the impression that you could simply press "pause" and immediately pause any live show, whether you're watching from the Hopper or the Joey. True or False?

The reason Kangaroo Jr can do that is it ties up a tuner on the Kangaroo
Directv's HD receivers in other rooms does not (they have their own tuner) unless you press record

You can bridge the hoppers and they can see each other recordings-

Hoppers see each others recordings without bridging, bridging only needed for using the coax to distribute network connectivity and should never be enabled on both Hoppers.

The lists are separate, but there is a simple drop down menu that lets you access either list from either hopper. Meaning you can see what is on hopper 1 from hopper 2 and vice versa. It works great, and gives you double the tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts