Can the OTA be opened up for all channels?

HDwonderer

Forced ex-VOOMer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2005
Upstate NY
At the moment I receive 5 OTA channels. Is there a way to unblock the rest of the channels on the V* box. There are about 12 OTA's that my ant. will pick up.

-scott

Yes. Just do a channel scan in the Installation Wizard.

Yeah, perhaps not strong enough. If you know their RF numbers, you can actually check the signal strength for each of them.

A good indicator when looking at signal quality screen.....

Try to see that you at least can get 84 on the signal quality meter. The receiver actually locks onto the signal at 80, but I've never been able to watch a channel without at least 84 and sometimes 83 on the signal quality meter. Anything above 85 would be best suited for rain fade issues or otherwise you'd lose certain channels everytime it rained. I have two different sets of frequencies that I lose during rain that I get on fine on clear or cloudy days, but I can't do anything about it because I've got a pre-amp on an 8-bay UHF antenna which is running into a line distribution amplifier and then reaches two receivers. Oh yeah, and I've got a rotor that I have both frequencies peaked on.

Thank you

You both confirmed my suspicions. Thank you. I was thinking about getting the second 4 bay to add to the one I have now. It is a signal strength issue. Have the preamp now. The rotor...well thats another issue. See with that the Canada stations (4 of them) in SD/HD will come in. That might help the local HD stregth too like you said. Well I guess I have to get it now.
-scott

Just A Thought....

Did you check to see if the channels are hidden on the remote? Press VOOM and then the green button. I don't remeber which option but there is one to hide/unhide OTA channels so you can eliminate surfing them when you know there is not a strong enough signal.

Never rescanned for OTA channels so I'm not sure if that would unhide all hidden channels scanned. If it does then disregard above. :D

I did a rescan of my locals - but there are a few that it didn't pick up that I know it should (was never programmed into my box to begin with). So I manually entered the numbers in the "off-air antenna" menu, it picks up the signal just file (82). Yet I still can't watch that channel. What am I missing?

also keep in mind the Voom reciever will only pick up digital broadcasts, many stations still only broadcast in analog.

A good indicator for analog for me.......

Whenever I punch in analog frequencies, I usually don't get above 80% signal strength, even if I have a great picture. It's the digital frequencies that go above 80%. Has anybody else experienced this as well or is it just me?

From what I recall.....

the satellite sent a map of the local OTA's for your area. I don't know about a rescan resetting that map or not. Since it works I'm not going to try it either. Again see if the missing stations are listed in the map with the instructions I posted above. If not then you need to see if there is a way to map them manually. If so that would be good info to know especially if we end up keeping the boxes.

Yeah I never rescanned after the Super DMA implementation and I know I can probably see more OTA stations but I'm afraid to do anything now other than changing channels...I don't want to have to reset for fear of losing what I have altoghether...!!!

Has anyone reset after the VOom Dooms Day?

truqui said:
Has anyone reset after the VOom Dooms Day?
By "reset" you mean "reboot", I assume. Yes, I have rebooted a couple of times. Others have done it too. Everything seems to be fine so far.

Factory Reset (via hidden menu) is a different story - Do NOT DO THAT! Or you will lose the OTA capability!

Thanks Ilya...yeah I would never go into a Factory Reset...
When you mean "reboot" are you referring to holding power button for a few seconds?
I haven't turned off my STB or done anything for at least 4 months when I had a rare freeze...

So your saying it's safe to rescan my locals and even "reboot" (like above) if needed?

I did the power-button reboot. I haven't tried rescanning yet, but that should work too.

Ilya said:
I did the power-button reboot. I haven't tried rescanning yet, but that should work too.

I did a soft reboot.....hold down the power button few secounds.. because my STB froze.... also rescanned the channels everything is normal as before.... all local channels present....after reboot im glad it wiped out the stupid May 1 deadline..and Dish offer on the main screen...no program info..

RF Numbers

Does anyone know where I can get the RF #s for my local stations. I'm not getting a few that I use to get. I've tried to rescan a few time and can't get them to lock. Thought I'd put them in manually.

Thx

Ok Spill It.......

How do you enter the local channel frequencies manually? That would be nice to know to experiment with the fringe channels. Thanks. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)