Can The Roxio East VHS To DVD 3 Plus Work With A Dish Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
I installed the software and hooked up the usb device from a HWS to my XP Home computer with 3MB of RAM. When I start the software and select either of the options, I get a few seconds of sound and then no sound and a green screen. Am I doing something wrong or does this configuration not work. I have a 2nd HWSthat is connected to a Toshiba DVDR and I have no problem making dvd's from the Hopper using the composite outs.

The usb ports on can only be used by Dish's Sling Adaptor or an external hard drive. I am not familiar with the device and software you are using, but you cannot copy files from Dish receivers to burn dvd's. The only way is to record in real time using the video/audio outputs. If you are asking about how to copy/burn, such conversations are not allow via this site.

Garys seems confused. The Roxio is a USB video capture device that connects to a computer. So I believe it will indeed work just fine capturing SD video from the Hopper.

On the Roxio support forum, it was suggested that I try hooking the composite connectors to another video out source. Haven't done that yet.

Ah... Have to ask this; sorry. If you plugged the cables in wrong, e.g. the yellow into the sound jacks, I would expect the behavior you reported in the OP. If it's plugged in correctly, I expect the Hopper composite output ports are bad, or else the Roxio is DOA.

Here's what I have determined. There is a problem when video is connected. I have connected the device to a cable box and a bluray player. Same thing happens on all three devices. When red/white audio cable are connected, I get sound through the device. As soon as I connect yellow video,the sound lasts a few seconds and goes out and the video screen turns green.

Based on a comment on the Roxio support forum, I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling it and then connecting the usb device. Still a no go. So back to Staples tomorrow.

Returned it to Staples. No questions asked. Stopped at Best Buy to see if they had any alternatives. They said they didn't. Anyone know if there is a dongle that will record on a pc via a usb port from a dvr?

There are a number of similar USB capture devices on the market. The Diamond VC500 has been around forever. Pinnacle has a couple. I have recently ordered the Hauppauge and newest StarTech units to test for my job. I have high hopes for the Hauppauge.

You should try exchanging the Roxio for another one, as it sounds like an issue with that particular device. One other thing to consider is a ground problem. Although, if the laptop is on battery, there shouldn't be an issue between the source devices and the laptop.

BTW, have you tried a different AV cable from the source to the device? A bad cable can cause the symptoms you describe.

There are a number of similar USB capture devices on the market. The Diamond VC500 has been around forever. Pinnacle has a couple. I have recently ordered the Hauppauge and newest StarTech units to test for my job. I have high hopes for the Hauppauge.
Is that the Hauppauge 1212 (or similar)? I have heard/read good things about it.

You should try exchanging the Roxio for another one, as it sounds like an issue with that particular device. One other thing to consider is a ground problem. Although, if the laptop is on battery, there shouldn't be an issue between the source devices and the laptop.

BTW, have you tried a different AV cable from the source to the device? A bad cable can cause the symptoms you describe.

Do you know if anyone has used this device on a Hopper? The price is right. Half of what the Roxio was.
Yes I used different cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)