Can two rooms be in two different markets?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Crimsonblake

Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Is it possible to have 2 tv's in the house in different markets? I "moved" this past week so i could get ABC HD. I have another TV in the house that i would like on my actual local market. Is it possible to unplug my HD receiver, call in, and have the CSR "move" me back to my actual residence? If so, how long?

Oh, about the two markets...

Fine, you can try to do that... But when the system 'resends' your info to your receivers... It'll reset to be whatever zipcode is on your account...

Further... With spot-beams... You shouldn't be able to get another markets channels in your area. Unless if you get the DNS locals... Then it doesn't matter.

But... Don't be discovered... Or you might find yourself in with the Signal Integrity Team... And they're not very happy people. =)

~

The RV method is somewhat ok, but as stated if the 2 markets you want are some distance apart you will be screwed. (ex Miami & Dallas) Probably any spotbeam markets more than 200 miles apart, or more for that matter.

I don't think they give you spotbeam markets for RV waivers do they? I just thought an RV waiver gives you a waiver for normal distant service, which is NY/LA (and ATL, etc. too, or maybe the 4 additonal cities is a Dish net only thing?)

The only way to do this, assuming you are close enough to the area to pick up the spot beam from the other market, would be to have 2 accounts. Whatever zip code we have in our system goes to your programming package, and your second reciever is mirrored off of your primary, which gives you the same channels. Occasionally a glitch happens where the old locals still appear in the guide, but with blank screens or Channel not available messages due to the spot beam being out of range. This occurs after a move and requires reaquisition of the guide via reprogramming your mult sat receiver thru the menus most times, followed by a reset to fix.
If you are too far away from the spot beams, you won't pick them up. Period. In either case, unless your reciever has the glitch I mentioned before and you are close enough to the spot beam, you can only recieve one or the other, not both, because our camc info holds the zipcode where the unit is located according to our records.

The only alternative I could suggest in order to aquire both would be an antenna for your current market, and assuming you are close enough to the spot beams to pick up the other market via satellite, call in and have your physical address changed, but set your actual address as your (alternate) billing address of course. This would give you the other markets locals on your receivers, but you would have to switch to the antenna for your current market.

SUCCESS!!!

Here's what I was trying to do.

Living Room: HDTV with HD-Tivo. My problem was, that i could get all my locals digitally with an antenna, but i could not get ABC-HD, due to the fact that my local ABC hasn't gone HD yet. Therefore i need the D* ABC, Fox, NBC, CBS Eastcoast HD feeds. Therefore this receiver needs to be in New York.

2 bedrooms: Standard Tv's. If i make this move to new york, i would no longer be able to tivo or watch local network shows due to the fact that the New York spot beam is too far away. My goal is to keep these receivers in Mobile, Al.

I managed to pull it off, and here is how.

I "moved" to New York to get my HD set all the D* HD feeds. I then unplugged my HD-Tivo, and moved back to Mobile, AL. I left my HD-Tivo unplugged for 24 hours. I then plugged it back and voila!!! HD-tivo is in NYC, other receivers are in my local market!!!

Couldn't be happier!

Crimsonblake said:
SUCCESS!!!

Here's what I was trying to do.

Living Room: HDTV with HD-Tivo. My problem was, that i could get all my locals digitally with an antenna, but i could not get ABC-HD, due to the fact that my local ABC hasn't gone HD yet. Therefore i need the D* ABC, Fox, NBC, CBS Eastcoast HD feeds. Therefore this receiver needs to be in New York.

2 bedrooms: Standard Tv's. If i make this move to new york, i would no longer be able to tivo or watch local network shows due to the fact that the New York spot beam is too far away. My goal is to keep these receivers in Mobile, Al.

I managed to pull it off, and here is how.

I "moved" to New York to get my HD set all the D* HD feeds. I then unplugged my HD-Tivo, and moved back to Mobile, AL. I left my HD-Tivo unplugged for 24 hours. I then plugged it back and voila!!! HD-tivo is in NYC, other receivers are in my local market!!!

Couldn't be happier!

FYI- I know people who have done this. It will work for a short period of time but eventually the system will see that your recivers are getting different locals and reset them to the zip you have on file.

As said above (kinda), the info is set to your receiver more than once. I have no idea what the period is, but eventually the updated ZIP info will get to your HD receiver. Otherwise everybody would unhook their receivers, cancel their service, wait a few days, reconnect receivers and BOOM! free service for life.

I thought that when you "move", you must unplug your phone line so that it doesn't call DTV form then on. Otherwise, the call with show up as your "old" phone number and you will have a problem.

It looks like what you're asking for is the DNS (NY/LA feeds) on one receiver and your actual locals on the other. And it sounds like you've made it work....

But I'm curious to see what happens when your Tivo needs to dial in.

Good luck with that.

it really has nothing to do with the call. whats going to happen is DirecTV will re-send the authorization codes to his box over the satellite and "fix" the glitch. I had an old XM radio that I had disconnected, but it wasn't turned on when I had it disconnected. When I unpacked it to have it reactivated it still had service for about an hour then it went off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)