Can Use a Diplexer for a Cable Modem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

md37793

Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I have searched and have not found any specific answer to my situation. I was going to activate DSL but verizon said I could not qualify (after they aaid my number and address did...major pain in the ass). I need to reactivate my cable modem. Currently there are four lines going into my house..all being used.

They are:
1&2:hooked up to HR20
3: hooked up to H20
4: hooked up to standard reciever.

Is it possible for me to diplex the cable internet signal with the standard reciever's line? I am pretty sure I can't do it on the HD lines because I have a 5lnb dish and many have said it will drop the MPEG4 signals. I was wondering though, since I don't need mpeg4 signals to be carried to the regular reciever, can i still diplex the cable internet without it affecting the hd signals on my other boxes and have everything working properly?

While it will be OK for the sat service it could interfere with your modem.

i havent seen any issues but thats not promising either, check the specs on the diplexer, modem and receiver. worst case scenario, run a seperate line close to where the wires come in at and run wireless. itll keep u from going in ur attic.

I had my office set up this way, and let me just say that I really cannot recommend it. The diplexer worked for about 2 weeks, but then I started having problems with my Internet. It worked intermittently for about another week (I thought the problem was with Cox initially) until it just totally stopped working for the Internet (satellite was fine, though). After figuring out the the diplexer was the problem, I had them come out and run a separate line for the satellite signal. No problems since, and you really don't want to be splitting up your Internet signal anyway.

But, good luck if you're going to try it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts