Can VIP622 record 2 HD shows at the same time?

NABRIL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Hello all
Just switched to HD with a Panny 42TX600U and I love it. Wow. What a world I was missing!!

1) Can the 622 record 2 HD shows at the same time (in single mode, of course)?
2) When switching from SD to HD channels, I keep having to play with the aspect ratio of the TV. Is that normal? I have read other threads, and I guess it is part of the game of switching between HD and SD.
3) Is the 100 hour non burn-in policy to be followed? I read that somewhere, about avoiding pausing and black bars for the first 100 hours. Is that really necessary?

Thanks to all, and this forum is fantastic!
N

Hi NABRIL,

1. Yes the 622 can record 2 HD shows at the same time, 3 if you have an off air antenna. Single or Dual mode, it doesn't matter, of course the set connected to the 2nd tuner will be limited to watching what your recording at the time.

2. Can't really comment because I don't have that problem.

3. If the set is calibrated correctly you shouldn't have to worry about burn-in under normal usage.

NightRyder

Follow up on 2 - When you say you have to keep switching, do you mean because you want the picture to fill the whole screen? If that is what you want then yes, but you don't have to switch on the TV you can use the format (*) button on the remote. I for 1 don't like things to be stretched or zoomed and would rather watch with the black bars, but to each his own. Let us know what other questions you have and we'll try to help.

Most shows look crappy if you stretch them to fill the screen and they are not shot in 16:9. I leave the SD setting at normal and the HD at normal and just have the black spaces at the edges, much better picture that way. And record 3 shows if you want, if you don't have an OTA antenna on the 622 or are too far away from locals, then you are missing out on some of the best picture quality HD.

I have a Panny Plasma. I used to do the Aspect Ratio Dance too. With a HD receiver, you just leave the Plasma set to "normal" and let the STB do the rest. I like my SD stretched (I saw a little burn-in beginning after the 1st year and got spooked). The 622 (and the 921 & 6000 before it) will remember to stretch SD channels and leave HD channels set to normal. This works pretty good. SD programs on HD channels however are not stretched.

As a point of clarification, you can record 2 Dish HD channels and 1 OTA channel all at the same time. Can't record two OTA signals at once.

Each format setting is of use to me (for SD channels).

1. Normal: That's how I watch 4:3 material.
2. Stretch: To send to DVD recorder.
3. Zoom: To watch letterbox material (e.g. BSG)
4: Partial Zoom: Kids programming, because they like the entire screen filled ;)

(Burn-in is not an issue on my DLP.)

Regarding the original item #2, it all depends on the TV.

Mine is a 4x3 HDTV that has black bars top and bottom when the 1080 input is selected. So my choices for SD channels are either "Normal" with black on all four sides and a small picture, or change to the S-Video input and use "Stretch" mode to fill the screen. I guess a third choice is to use Zoom and "pretend" it's 16x9 instead of 4x3.

The really frustrating thing is, in single mode an SD source set as "Normal" on the HD outputs is squished with bars on left and right on TV2. You can't get a correctly sized picture on both TV1 and TV2 at the same time.

My wife still hasn't figured it out, about 50% of the time if I walk in the room she's watching something either stretched or squished because it's HD source on S-Video input or SD source on 1080 input. But I love her anyway :)

Each format setting is of use to me (for SD channels).

1. Normal: That's how I watch 4:3 material.
2. Stretch: To send to DVD recorder.
3. Zoom: To watch letterbox material (e.g. BSG)
4: Partial Zoom: Kids programming, because they like the entire screen filled ;)

(Burn-in is not an issue on my DLP.)

epsilon, why do you stretch to send to a DVD recorder? Must be a matter of
preference.

And I generally get much better Picture out of Partial Zoom rather than Zoom. And for Letterbox, Partial Zoom seems to do the best.

Just my own preference, I guess. But I find stretch and zoom to be pretty useless most of the time.

epsilon, why do you stretch to send to a DVD recorder? Must be a matter of
preference.
Not really. My recorder would consider the black bars part of the frame, thus wasting resolution. (I'm talking about SD material, not HD, in which case I leave it at normal). DVD format is a 4:3 frame and, depending on the source material, I'll flag it as anamorphic or not, before finalizing the disc.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. The * on the dish remote works perfectly. I will leave the TV on one setting, and then normal or stretch for HD or SD.

Now. I get my Miami locals thru DISH. Do i benefit somehow by getting an OTA antenna? Can I get more channels with it than thru DISH? Prob not, right? I saw once a webpage that gives HD channel info for your local area.

Thanks again,
N

I get my Miami locals thru DISH. Do i benefit somehow by getting an OTA antenna? Can I get more channels with it than thru DISH? Prob not, right? I saw once a webpage that gives HD channel info for your local area.
Depending on your location, you should be able to get a lot more of your local digital channels via OTA. Go to antennaweb.org to find out what's available in your area.

Also, it will give you an additional tuner to record the local channels. That way you can use the 2 satellite tuners in the receiver and the 3rd OTA tuner to also watch/record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts