Can Voom channels move to 148?

Dr_Gaston

Original poster
May 7, 2005
My understanding is that Dish has bought a Voom satellite located at 61.5, and therefore the Voom channels are broadcasted from the Voom bird, not from the Dish bird. Is this correct?

If so, then replicating the Voom channels to the Dish 148 bird, which usually replicates the channels off the Dish 61.5 bird, would mean that Dish has first to broadcast the Voom channels out of their own satellites.

Is there enough free bandwidth on these birds to accomodate for 10 new HD channels? If so, any guess as to when Dish would make the move? How much of technical work would be involved?

I am unable to gain LOS to the 61.5 from my home. I emailed Dish regarding mirroring on the 148, attached is their response...

Thank you for your e-mail. At this time, we do not have the bandwidth
available on satellite 148 to mirror the channels. We do have a
strategic
plan that we are currently developing for the addition of more HD
channels,
but for obvious reasons it cannot be publicly disclosed. With a
successful
purchase of the Rainbow Satellite coupled with the launch of the Echo X
Satellite this summer, we plan to use the incremental bandwidth to
support
the launch of numerous new HD channels. We hope to have something to
announce sometime in the near future.

Thanks,

Technical Support
Dish Network

Liars!

The calculations have already been done and posted by me and others that they CAN easily come up with four transponders to carry the existing V* channels. :mad:

They have 6 transponders that aren't even being used, which can enable them to mirror voom without even messing what's on 148

Do we know that those 6 transponders are full bandwith and operational to cover the footprint necessary. We all know that all transponders are not equal. Maybe these are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)