Can we change channels on Multichannel?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KaptainRandom

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
mesa az
I have HWS + Hwusbsling + 2 joeys,
HWS is on S342, joey S366,

I see 'off' standby mode has 'ad' for multichannel app on 100.
I gave it a look.
I would like to change 1 or more of the pre-selected channels.
Can we do this?
If so, how?

Thanx in advance.

It's never been possible. If I'm not mistaken, even if they did allow it, it wouldn't be a free range of channels because of the way they "mux" them together from a single feed.

Personally, I've never found anything useful for this or understood what criteria they use for picking the 6 they display. If it is most popular or watched then at least for the Hopper you already have the what's hot or trending shows in another function.

If they want to make this cool, then they should consider letting the Hopper user pick the three channels they want to display. One for each tuner. And, if you have 2 Hoppers then you can pick 6. Would have some challenges to consider, but have to think the three is at least doable.

BUT they should not even consider changing this or adding new stuff until they address and fix the existing problems.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What happens with this multi-channel when ALL tuners are in use ?

Good question. Why I added the part about having some challenges to consider. Logically if all three (or any of them) were in use then it would show the programs being recorded/watched. Like a triple PIP.

But I think this is just a cute thing and no longer has a real value, other than some feature Dish could say that they do and no one else does.

What happens with this multi-channel when ALL tuners are in use ?
It only uses one tuner. The 6 channels are sent on one channel, then the Hopper users its magic to overlay the graphics and switch the audio track depending on which channel you are highlighted on.

You will notice that over time the 6 channels shown will change. When they have an event on like the Masters Golf Event you may have 6 channels dedicated to the Masters... One from Golf channel and maybe 5 other camera angles... Or in the event of a big news item all 6 could be news channels, so you can watch them all at once.

There are times when this mosaic channel will be very useful, but there will be other times when its not.

It only uses one tuner.
I remember that explanation (from you, as I recall) from years ago. My question was, what if I have all of my tuners in use, either live viewing, recording, etc ? I have to think that the channel won't be available (on the Hopper, you probably will get the red-button screen showing tuners in use).

I remember that explanation (from you, as I recall) from years ago. My question was, what if I have all of my tuners in use, either live viewing, recording, etc ? I have to think that the channel won't be available (on the Hopper, you probably will get the red-button screen showing tuners in use).

I am testing a Hopper now and have 7 channels recording. 1 OTA, 2 Satellite, and 4 Network channels. Tuned to channel 100 and a window popped up. Attention EA558, Multi-Channel View is unavailable while all tuners are in use. Is there any other test you want me to try out Hall?

I am testing a Hopper now and have 7 channels recording. 1 OTA, 2 Satellite, and 4 Network channels. Tuned to channel 100 and a window popped up. Attention EA558, Multi-Channel View is unavailable while all tuners are in use. Is there any other test you want me to try out Hall?
Nope - I was only curious about it and this is what I thought would happen.

So Scott, I assume it uses channels on the same transponder in style of PTAT.
It would have to split that pack and recompose them into your picture.
Is the resolution reduced, say halved, as I would expect?
-Ken

So Scott, I assume it uses channels on the same transponder in style of PTAT.
It would have to split that pack and recompose them into your picture.
Is the resolution reduced, say halved, as I would expect?
-Ken

No.

The entire channel is just one channel being transmitted by DISH. At the uplink they have taken 6 channels and put them together to make this single channel. The channels you see on Channel 100 are the same channels everyone else who has a Hopper and is tuned to channel 100 is seeing. It only uses one tuner because you are only watching one channel (channel 100) which in turn is showing 6 channels mixed together by DISH at the uplink.

No.

The entire channel is just one channel being transmitted by DISH. At the uplink they have taken 6 channels and put them together to make this single channel. The channels you see on Channel 100 are the same channels everyone else who has a Hopper and is tuned to channel 100 is seeing. It only uses one tuner because you are only watching one channel (channel 100) which in turn is showing 6 channels mixed together by DISH at the uplink.

If you don't subscribe to one of the channels in the mix instead of video you get a message that says something along the lines of "upgrade your programming" covering up the channel feed. I saw this with Universal Sports Network after I cancelled Multi-Sports before the winter Olympics. So instead of six video feeds you only see five because of the "blackout prompt"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)