Can we connect 2 cable modems to one internet connection?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

oki

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
usa
I have a basic (100 GB/month data limit) internet service plan with Cox.

There is one cable modem on the account. There are several bedrooms that receive basic cable TV.

Can we connect a 2nd cable modem to the service?

Is this automatic?

Would a 2nd modem automatically be blocked by Cox unless we have them set it up?

The second modem is also a Cox modem that a new resident of the house brought with them from a previous residence.

I would actually rather the 2nd modem be BLOCKED and only my original Cox-provided and Cox-installed cable modem function. I see no reason that this user can't use our family wi-fi for internet. But, if the person also plugs in their cable modem, would 2 cable modems work without Cox's help in our house with basic internet and basic cable TV?

Can we just plug in additional cable modems on our plan and it work?

I don't understand why you'd want more than one modem. If you want the internet in more than one spot in your house (say, both upstairs and downstairs) you would need a router, not a second modem. What's your goal with having the second modem?

The modem needs to connect to the Cox network..if they don't know about it..it won't connect in other words..cox needs to assign the modem a IP address for it to work (they also need the mac address of the modem)..so the only modem that will connect is the one that is authorized by cox

Welcome to Satguys, Oki!

Like Claude stated, you can, with two separate bills. You'd have to call Cox and give them the MAC address of the second modem for them to set it up as another account. If that person just plugs the modem in, it shouldn't work.