Can we keep track of new ATSC 3.0 stations going on the air?

Seems like there were more stations earlier in the game.

Here's a not-too-old article speaking to some of the features that the proponents are peddling:

https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/atsc-3-0-one-year-on-are-broadcasters-ready

It speaks to Avis piloting in-car reception (how many rental cars do you see with passengers?).

It also mentions Chicago, Dallas and Michigan as places where the new scheme is being tested and plays down the value of testing in South Korea.

Perhaps contrary to the reasonings of navychop, a Phoenix survey indicates that 42% of those interested in Next-Gen would buy new TVs. Those sets would be available for the 2020 holiday shopping season.

I'm still waiting to see results from markets with acreage and significant geographical features (Philly, Seattle, Portland and many more).

Seems like there were more stations earlier in the game.

Here's a not-too-old article speaking to some of the features that the proponents are peddling:

https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/atsc-3-0-one-year-on-are-broadcasters-ready

It speaks to Avis piloting in-car reception (how many rental cars do you see with passengers?).

It also mentions Chicago, Dallas and Michigan as places where the new scheme is being tested and plays down the value of testing in South Korea.

Perhaps contrary to the reasonings of navychop, a Phoenix survey indicates that 42% of those interested in Next-Gen would buy new TVs. Those sets would be available for the 2020 holiday shopping season.

I'm still waiting to see results from markets with acreage and significant geographical features (Philly, Seattle, Portland and many more).

You would think that with all this supposed "testing" in various markets they'd have some solid info out there by now. I'm thinking they are not getting the results they had been HOPING for, and are keeping quiet.

Hopefully it does turn out to be the "Holy Grail", because nobody will put up with yet a 3rd unseen standard coming beyond that anytime soon.

You would think that with all this supposed "testing" in various markets they'd have some solid info out there by now.
There's a lot to tinker with in the Next-Gen standards. I'd much rather they figure out how to (and if they can) cover everyone before they spend a lot of time pushing out the corners of content.

Reactions: primestar31
So will they push the targeted advertising by preventing ad skipping?

The article certainly admits the possibility of failure.

I still don’t see significant numbers of people buying new TV sets just to test the ATSC 3 waters. Makes more sense to get a cheaper converter box. I note Harshness posted “42% OF THOSE INTERESTED in Next-Gen... “ Very, very few JSPs are interested in Next-Gen. Most probably never heard of it or don’t really understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: comfortably_numb
If they want to make efficient use of the limited bandwidth available post-repack, then it would be wise of the broadcasters and/or government to push for ATSC 3. The technology currently in use is over 20 years old and is far less efficient than it could be. The entertainment industry has transitioned in that time period from MPEG-2 with DVD to H.265 with 4K Blu-ray. Meanwhile, we're still using MPEG-2 on ATSC 1.0.

Reactions: Mr. Sheep
Meanwhile, we're still using MPEG-2 on ATSC 1.0.
There are advantages to using something a lot less dependent on delta compression when you're medium isn't entirely stable.

It remains to be seen whether the new modulation scheme (using the chosen parameters) is sufficiently resistant to noise to not cause long-lasting artifacts.

The longer the "transformation" takes, the more painful it will be. The stations aren't all on board and the gubmint is perhaps giving the broadcasters enough rope to hang themselves but the group that actually has to buy in is the viewers. They have some incumbents (cable TV, DBS) and now OTT to compete with.

Word on the street is the Korean government is currently pressuring one of the makers of the cheapy $40 CECBs to make one of them over there that's ATSC 3.0 compatible. The manufacturer claims it should be certified for RF emissions by the government and all that good stuff by February.

Fortunately for me, Korean television receivers are actually assigned an identifer after certification from their equivalent of the FCC, so I can just scour the daily lists of devices certified there for it until it happens

God I hope this one is cheap

Reactions: N5XZS and navychop
God I hope this one is cheap
As it will probably be built on one of the existing boxes with something like the Sinclair chip and support hardware added, I would expect it to be at least triple the price of the existing box (unless Sinclair is funding the project with the sale of the chips where it will be much more money).

It is also important to remember that the South Korean boxes don't work with what's currently being broadcast in the US (they are UHD-only). IIRC, it is unknown whether or not the Asian boxes support the US sound standard (Dolby AC-4) that is used in North America. The rest of the planet uses MPEG-H (Fraunhofer) sound.

I half expect that STBs will follow TVs as they did with DTV.

So do I foresee a Roku with a built in ATSC 3 OTA tuner?

That would be leaving money on the table.

That would be leaving money on the table.
You may have noticed that they don't offer a DTV tuner so why would they visit Next Gen TV?

I would imagine that Roku places fairly high value on being able to include "channels" from popular streaming services and offering alternatives may raise eyebrows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)