Can we SUE DISH NETWORK for the POOREST SECURITY on website

But again, email address is greyed out on the 2nd page if you use phone number on the first page.

I don't disagree that this is shoddy security, just relaying accurate information.

OH MY GOD !!!!!
Someone is working on the issue....
It was not the case all these days....
Lets wait and watch....

How come no one from DISH is reading this ?
Dish has been taking these complaints for years. DIRT has been taking these complaints pretty much since they started being on this site. Nothing has changed since... DIRT is powerless when it comes to executives who just sweep privacy issues under the rug for years. At best DIRT can help resolve issues with your specific account.

Take my previous advice and get the information out into the public...

YES, they are fixing it...
Today morning, I was able to create another USER ID....
Now its giving me this error....

The DISH account you have identified already has an Online ID. Retrieve your Online ID.
even if they fix that specific login issue , that's only a cosmetic cover up of the real problem. Third parties will still have unlimited access to customer information that is being used to defraud customers.

True, but you still need at least 1 of receiver, account, SSN last 4, or city of birth, since if I only enter phone number on the first page, then on the 2nd page email is greyed out, so at least I can't get in just with email and phone number.

I wonder if the scammers are stealing paper statements out of people's mailboxes to get the account numbers.

What I mean is that you only need two pieces of information to go from not having anything to having user name and password. If you already have email or phone number, now all you need is one piece of information

It isn't difficult to fix it either. Just take the existing pages and make ALL fields required, except maybe receiver#. Done. Third parties won't have access to PIN, SSN last 4 or city of birth.

It isn't difficult to fix it either. Just take the existing pages and make ALL fields required, except maybe receiver#. Done. Third parties won't have access to PIN, SSN last 4 or city of birth.
It's odd how many easy fixes they seem to find too difficult to implement, especially with web development. Dish Online/Anywhere is a shining example. It hasn't worked correctly from day one.

I've done web development in the past. Some things that seem like easy fixes to an end-user truly are exponentially more complicated. Making fields required is not one of them.

Who could that be? ;) :D

Rofl. Hahahah.

As for the OP's question, can you sue Dish? Yes. This is America, after all. You can sue anybody you want to. The real question is, will you win? Who knows.

I think the best advice was the consumerist advice so far. Also, maybe everyone that got hacked could try to recollect which retailer they used, see if there is one in common.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Not me. I destroyed my customer records as required.

I wouldn't think you would do anything like that Claude. It wouldn't surprise me if some disgruntled retailer would do it or just some money hungry company. There are some companies out there selling Dish and the only thing they care about is how many sales they can make no matter what it takes.

You can. But, it will only make them stronger, as Dish feeds off of lawsuits like that glowing entity on Star Trek that fed off of negative emotions.

Dish will counter sue claiming he developed methods to hack into their network and sick the FBI on him!

I think Dish has an obligation to secure their customer information.

They need to be made aware of the issue, given the opportunity to fix it, then you can sue.

In the meantime, if you feel Dish is not doing a good job securing your customer information, then maybe you should consider canceling your services with them and getting cable or Directv.

Good news? Dish has changed their password reset function on their site. When you click on the "Forgot Password", it asks for your online ID and then sends an email to your email of record with a link to reset your password. Better than it used to be, but not ideal.

Sorry, I'll delete my cross-posts in the other threads. This is the one I was looking for primarily anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)