Can you add more memory to Hopper 2 DVR boxes?

KHG

Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Cameron,Nc
Ever since the software update,my Hopper 2 really lags.Its like a PC that needs more memory.Is there any way to upgrade the memory or make it more responsive???

Ever since the software update,my Hopper 2 really lags.Its like a PC that needs more memory.Is there any way to upgrade the memory or make it more responsive???

Don't think so, at least in a way that doesn't void the warranty or brick the receiver. Just upgrade to the Hopper 3 if you're willing to make upgrades to your existing receiver.

I just upgraded to the Hopper 3 (+2 year commitment) over the weekend. I had the new UI on my Hopper 2 w/ Sling since last summer. It was super slow and laggy. Lived with that for a year. New Hopper is great. Snappy and quick like the old one use to be. EHD works better too. Love the 16 tuners....never have a conflict now. And the multi-image (4 tuner) PIP is nice. Can't wait for football. The upgrade process was seamless although my tech guy was not very chatty or informative (he should read this forum more often).

I just upgraded to the Hopper 3 (+2 year commitment) over the weekend. I had the new UI on my Hopper 2 w/ Sling since last summer. It was super slow and laggy. Lived with that for a year. New Hopper is great. Snappy and quick like the old one use to be. EHD works better too. Love the 16 tuners....never have a conflict now. And the multi-image (4 tuner) PIP is nice. Can't wait for football. The upgrade process was seamless although my tech guy was not very chatty or informative (he should read this forum more often).
It's just a shame that Dish deliberately degraded the HWS and the H1 for the sake of "upgrading" the UI and removing functionality at the same time. Who approves this stuff?

It's just a shame that Dish deliberately degraded the HWS and the H1 for the sake of "upgrading" the UI and removing functionality at the same time. Who approves this stuff?
I agree. I don't hate the new interface, but my HWS worked much better with the old interface.

The only thing I like about the CUI is that it looks better (I like the dark mode), but in every other way, the old interface was better for the older Hoppers. The old guide was better, the old DVR listing was better and made better use of the screen, features that I used to use a lot (like 4X FF) are missing, the new browse banner is too large and opaque, and my receiver went from being really fast, to somewhat slow. That is not what an "upgrade" is supposed to be.

I can understand why Dish would want to use the same software base for all of the Hoppers, but new software should not make the older Hoppers operate worse than they did before the "upgrade'.

Isn't that generally what most technology companies do? I get why some customers want to keep their old technology but doesn't it make sense that the company wants to keep their customers current.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Isn't that generally what most technology companies do? I get why some customers want to keep their old technology but doesn't it make sense that the company wants to keep their customers current.
I'm all for keeping technology on the cutting edge. However, doing this while deliberately degrading their own products functionality is not what most technology companies do.

That does not allow for lost functions or more important, broken functions.

Reactions: littlecloud319
I'm all for keeping technology on the cutting edge. However, doing this while deliberately degrading their own products functionality is not what most technology companies do.

WEll, I guess if it kept working perfectly for customers they'd have no reason to want to upgrade. Usually technology gets so outdated it just doesn't work but that's because they run third party software. I still have a first gen iPad which seems almost worthless now because no recent apps work on it. The device itself works great but it doesn't run many things because it relies on third party apps.

That does not allow for lost functions or more important, broken functions.

It certainly can. It may not be what many like to hear but they can do what they want in order to convince people to upgrade. I'm not saying it's the best way or smartest but it seems to be their goal right now.

Wait, I must not have understood. What problems? I was thinking about the speed of the older Hoppers and other things the CUI update seemed to mess up.

Watching a program then trying to delete it, only to find another program has appeared and you're about to delete it instead.

Having a ghost recording stay on your DVR listing with no way to delete it.

Having a show selected on the left side of the screen but with a completely different show info and name on the right.

Search my posts and you'll see more.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Watching a program then trying to delete it, only to find another program has appeared and you're about to delete it instead.

Having a show selected on the left side of the screen but with a completely different show info and name on the right.

I haven't run into any of those deleting issues, not to say that they don't exist, I just haven't had them. The incorrect info I've seen happen before on every Dish receiver I've ever seen. I know the Hopper 3 has some bugs but so does the HWS and Hopper 1. The 922 had all kinds of bugs. Even the great 722 had some occasional bugs.

If the bugs a receiver has are ones that completely ruin your experience then I can see why one would like it. I haven't seen any major problems that would affect regular viewing with the Hopper 3 though.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Time to pull the trigger navychop. You will love the Hopper 3. :shh

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Won't fix any problems, and will cause a loss of redundancy. And lock me in to a 2 year commitment, which I used to not mind, but do now.

There is a chance we will reduce our Dish subs to minimum and watch our EHDs for a year or two. Might lose a few shows, but find others to replace them.

I've had a Hopper 3 for a year and it doesn't do any of that.

Don't listen to me though. I'm just a rookie here with 10 posts working my way
towards 40,000. :bow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts