Can you change scheduled recording to record same show/episode at a later time?

Brent L

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
SC
Ok, I know that if you have multiple things the option will pop up asking if you want to change the conflict show to a future airing, and that's great. But lets say I want to go in to any given scheduled recording and want to manually pick a future time for it to record. Is that possible? If so, how would I do it without manually searching for that future airing? Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

If it's a "Record once" event, you can't*.

If it's a series recording, when you're looking at the timer for that show, hit Select and choose "Timer schedule" (I think is the wording) and then find a future showing. You will need to SKIP the earlier recording and then RESTORE the later one. If you restore a later showing first, it will complain that it's already set to record. I think you can ignore it and tell it to record it anyway but if you skip, then restore, you avoid all of that.

* You don't have to manually search either - when you're looking at the timer, just hit the Search button on the remote. It will populate the search field with the name of the show you're looking at the timer for.

Dish Pass (Seek and Record) timers are the most flexible and useful in these situations. You can change them on the fly to look at particular channels or all channels, new or all episodes, skip/restore individual events as desired. If you have it set to all episodes and then skip one, it will automatically record the next airing of the skipped episode, until that episode is in your DVR, then it will automatically skip as "exists in DVR". I set up most of my timers as Dish Pass (Seek and Record).

Now it would be useful if you could change the end time on a timer. Manual timers lose the program name and more. Wish list: specify negative extension to cut off the padding added to some timers for filler like on TCM--often over 15 minutes but less so than in past years.
-Ken

As one who has often selected certain showings from timers for many years, be aware that SOMETIMES the DVR will UNSKIP what you've manually skipped by the next day. And this can happen several times, including with the Hopper, although I think the Hopper is better at not doing as often as older Dish DVR's. It is a good idea CONFIRM each day that the DVR did NOT undo your hard work. Believe me, if you don't verify every day, you stand a chance of getting recordings of you specifically told it to SKIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)