Can you go backwards from Dish 500 to 300?

ok4ablonde

Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
OK, here's my other question. Thinking the Dish 500 LNB is defective, I took the entire thing down and put the 300 dish back up with the LNB that goes with THAT one. Now, when I turn on the receiver to try and get the Point Signal screen, I get nothing but "snow". I just changed the batteries in my remote 2 weeks ago, but when I press the system info button, nothing happens. I have also tried unplugging the 301 receiver for awhile, reinserting the smart card, still nothing. I need help before I call Comcast to come out.

Thanks for the help Fergie. I have the coax connected and it's set to channel 3. I am thinking maybe with all the wiring behind the tv, I need to undo everything and rehook just to make sure nothing back there came loose.

Fergie, again thanks for your help. I'll be gone from here for an hour while I rewire the back of the tv - hopefully I won't need more help. It's not like I haven't done this dish hookup before. It's my 3rd time but I'm really perplexed and ready to cancel my satellite and take Comcast cable again.

Once you are pointed to either 110 or 119 you need to do a switch check and it should find the bird you are pointed to. (change the settings on your menu from dish 500 to dish 300).

I finally got the old 18" dish up and running again. There was a loose connection on the back of the 301 receiver.

Next weekend, I'm going to try the Dish 500 install one more time! A few more questions: 1. You do the part where you aim the dish to get the most signal strength FIRST, then run the "check switch". 2. What exactly is the "check switch" for? Is it to hone in on the 110 satellite? I don't ever recall doing this part when I installed the 18" dish. 3. The check switch has nothing to do with the number of receivers you have? I only have Dish Network on my tv in the great room, not any of my other rooms/tv's.

Thanks! I guess there are a lot more important problems in the world than this, at least I'm not in New Orleans. I hope everyone makes it through Katrina safely.

ok4ablonde said:
What exactly is the "check switch" for?
Legacy - Check switch runs through all the combinations of serial pulse commands that can be sent to the switch(es). Once the receiver gets the expected results for a test it then know how to select each satellite you are able to see. This can be 38-50 checks depending on what you have selected on the setup screen.

DishPro - The LNBs and switches are able to identify themselves on demand so only 3-5 checks are needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts