Can you go both ways?

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
Would like to know if you as a Dish customer have access to a high speed internet connection and are you taking advantage of it currently. I am guessing that the majority of Dish customers are rural/semi rural and have limited to no high speed connection. I have access to both DSL and cable high speed connection and am currently using it. We already know that broadband via satellite is onsite most anywhere.

Last edited:
I can talk and chew gum at the same time.Gotta love multitasking.:D

On a serious note,no way I would go with sat internet over cable or dsl.The caps are way too restrictive for sat.

I live in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama and I have U-verse 24/3 plus T-Mobile HSPA+ which averages around 6-12Mbps most places I go with my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I lived near a couple that "went both ways." They also bought their 16 yr old daughter a water bed and arranged for her to have privacy on her in home and overnight dates. And they went out on dates, not always with each other.

Other than these things, you'd never have noticed anything ..... :rolleyes:

I lived near a couple that "went both ways." They also bought their 16 yr old daughter a water bed and arranged for her to have privacy on her in home and overnight dates. And they went out on dates, not always with each other.

Other than these things, you'd never have noticed anything ..... :rolleyes:

Its a connected world now days, pipes going everywhere.

Dish for internet really is for areas that have no other broadband option because cable, telco, and others always work out better because Dish can be more expensive and with ridiculously low data caps, even with the unlimited at the wee hours of the night, but most users are asleep at that time and can't take advantage of it. Broadband via Sat is only makes sense for those out in the sticks, boonies, the edge of the flat world. And those folks are grateful for internet via Sat.

On a serious note,no way I would go with sat internet over cable or dsl.The caps are way too restrictive for sat.
My wife and I each have a tablet and a computer. I also have an Xbox 360. We use the internet quite regularly. We had Gen4 Sat internet installed 16 days ago and have only used 1 GB so far. We have the 10 + 10 plan. Granted, we don't do any video streaming. And between 2AM and 8AM it's unlimited still. I love it. Works very well. As long as I avoid the video streaming I can't see hitting my cap.

Satellite internet has come a long way but I wouldn't get it unless I really had to. Even the cell phone providers offer higher data amounts now and at least it is more portable and has better pings. Depends on what your application is. I dont like the delay for it to start a video or to start loading a webpage.

My wife and I each have a tablet and a computer. I also have an Xbox 360. We use the internet quite regularly. We had Gen4 Sat internet installed 16 days ago and have only used 1 GB so far. We have the 10 + 10 plan. Granted, we don't do any video streaming. And between 2AM and 8AM it's unlimited still. I love it. Works very well. As long as I avoid the video streaming I can't see hitting my cap.

That's great.My family has gotten so used to video streaming,satellite internet would never work for us now.

Would like to know if you as a Dish customer have access to a high speed internet connection and are you taking advantage of it currently. I am guessing that the majority of Dish customers are rural/semi rural and have limited to no high speed connection. I have access to both DSL and cable high speed connection and am currently using it. We already know that broadband via satellite is onsite most anywhere.

The internet is probably a tainted source for this information. I have Comcast 30mbit and I use it and abuse it.

Seriously? I'll stick to Cable/DSL Internet then.

I do know that Dish has partnered with a DSL company (centurylink I think) to provide DishNet DSL in select areas (certain parts of 68134 & 50022 I know of for sure in my AO). Satellite side, yes there's some extreme caps. I generally recommend it for Rural/Farm houses where their only other options are either dial up or Cellular Dongle. Also keep in mind that Satellite-based internet has a 7-8 latency no matter what. Think how long it takes when you slam on the gas in your car before you zoom off; that's my laymen's internet latency definition. So its great for general browsing, ok for video streaming (great speed, terrible caps), & possibly the worst thing for anything reaction-based like most gaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts