Can you hook up a DISEQC switch and motor to same receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I was wondering if there is a way to hook up a DISEQC switch and motor to the same receiver. I want to add a circular polarity lnb on my dish so that I can pick up the FTA channels on echostar satellites. I was hoping I could place the DISEQC switch between the LNBs and the motor, use the motor to move to the correct satllite position and then switch over to the Echostar satellite using DISEQC to take advanatage of the circular polarity LNB.

Most likley this cannot be done, but I would love to get an explanation as to why this wouldn't work. Is there something in the motor and switch that would conflict with each other? Thanks.

That is perfectly doable, and in fact you have described my setup. :)

Receiver --- DiSEqC motor --- DiSEqC 2x1 switch --- linear LNB on port 1, circular on port 2

Awesome.
I wanted to double check before I bought the extra equipment.

Thanks Tux!

yep

I have my motor between the switch and LNB

receiver-----4x1 diseqc
port 1 goes to motor which goes to KU LNB
port 2 goes to fixed dish at 119
port 3 goes to fixed dish at Galaxy 3C
port 4 goes to fixed dish at Galaxy 10

Only problem with my setup is if the motorized is on SBS6 (as an exmaple) and the receiver is on G10. If I go to IA6, I have to go to that channel and do a "channel up, channel down" to get the motor to move :)

Its goofy....but I got it figured out :D:D

I'm assuming either a direct TV or Dish Network lnb would work. Right?

RIGHT! As long as its not a Dish Pro LNB : )

Set the L.O. to 11250

Speaking off.... I'm in the process of installing a FTA system myself.

I purchased a Ku Linear LNBF, and a Fortec Ultra Lifetime Ultra, and a SG2100 Motor, and a 4 way DiSEqC switch.

My plan is to use my old 1 Meter Direcway dish with the SG2100 fed to one of the inputs of the switch.

I currently have a DISH 500 (DISH only, not the LNB... it went back to DISH when I cancelled my DHA plan) pointed at 110 and 119.

I have an old single-satellite dual output D* LNB sitting around... can I hook that to the DISH 500 dish, and run each output of the the LNB to the separate inputs of the switch for 110 and 119 respectively? (since the LNB is not capable of switching.)? Might as well take advantage of that dish so for a few satellites I don't have to move the motor....

If you can get it to fit yes, but to see 110 and 119 you would need two LNB, one in each Dish 500 LNB position.

If its the older Dish 500 that used individual LNB hooked to a switch 2/1 you will be fine, do not use the switch 2/1 but use individual cable runs (110/119) to the DiSEqC switch.

PSB said:
If you can get it to fit yes, but to see 110 and 119 you would need two LNB, one in each Dish 500 LNB position.

If its the older Dish 500 that used individual LNB hooked to a switch 2/1 you will be fine, do not use the switch 2/1 but use individual cable runs (110/119) to the DiSEqC switch.

Well, I guess I need to clarify.. I have a old directtv dual LNB I was planning on using. Since my dish network dish is already pointed at 110 and 119, I wanted to use 1 cable attached to the directv LNB to carry the 110 signal and the other cable to carry the 119 signal. Since the LNB has two independent outputs, and the dish is currently pointed to receive signal from both satellites, why would I need two seperate LNBs?

Trying to learn... thanks!

Same here!
One LNB points at 110w and one points at 119w, some Dish LNB look like one big LNB (Quad,Twin....)
The Directv LNB you have is Dual LNB both outputs are from the same satellite.
You can use the DirecTV Dual for only one satellite at a time : (

Best to zip tie your DirecTV LNB to your KU LNBF. A lot of members here do that, but I would wait until you are all set up and happy with your KU set up.

I think I get it... I was making the false assumption that with the DISH network dish, the focal point of both satellite signals was close enough so that a single LNB could be capable of receiving signal from either satellite. Hence I thought I could use the D* LNB to alternately pick up 110 or 119.....

Think I'll scrap that plan and just zip tie the Directv LNB to the DWay LNB I'm going to use...

Iceberg said:
yep

I have my motor between the switch and LNB

receiver-----4x1 diseqc
port 1 goes to motor which goes to KU LNB
port 2 goes to fixed dish at 119
port 3 goes to fixed dish at Galaxy 3C
port 4 goes to fixed dish at Galaxy 10

Only problem with my setup is if the motorized is on SBS6 (as an exmaple) and the receiver is on G10. If I go to IA6, I have to go to that channel and do a "channel up, channel down" to get the motor to move :)

Its goofy....but I got it figured out :D:D

I'm sure that makes for faster switching, but is there any other reason for the mini dish farm you have? :)

Craig

GO GOPHERS!!!!

Craig
I have Dish Network subscription and wanted it hooked to the FTA for the audio channels...so that Dish is there regradless
The dish at G10 goes to 2 different receivers
The dish at Galaxy 3C is for the Fighting Sioux Sports Network..their signal is real low with a 30" dish :)

FTA on Echostar

I am new to FTA so please be patient

I have Coolsat 4000 pro, wingard 30", Universal LNB and SG2100 on the way.

In addition i subscribe to Dishnetwork and have 2 dishes pointing to the 3 satellites and is connected to 3 receivers.

I want to catch FTA channels into my coolsat receiver.
Please suggest whats the best way to connect

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)