Can you keep the DVR on its side?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigpro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
My wife hates where it is and would prefer it on its side next to the TV. Any problems with this?

bigpro said:
My wife hates where it is and would prefer it on its side next to the TV. Any problems with this?
I have my R15 on its side next to the TV with no problems so far. Had it since Nov. Comments from anyone else?

If you place it on it's side, better brace it against tip-over...hard drives can suffer
head to platter crash failure if they hit hard enough...

As long as you don't cover any vent holes you should be ok. If one side gets hotter than the other make sure that's on top.

Thanks to Pepper, moonman, and Bob Haller for their advice. I'll keep my eye on the heat. Takes some heat off me if it doesn't live on top of the TV, so maybe it'll balance out ;) !

One other thing....since these units have hard drives, hard drives don't care which way they are standing. But, if you leave it on its side and decide 2 years from now to lay it back down normally, then the drive could go bad. I have seen this a lot in my pc repair business where people like to set their pc's on there side and a year or so later they return it to normal position. Then after a while the drive crashes. Drive gets used to being in a certain position. So as long as you intend to keep it on its side, you are good to go.....

hubcap1324 said:
One other thing....since these units have hard drives, hard drives don't care which way they are standing. But, if you leave it on its side and decide 2 years from now to lay it back down normally, then the drive could go bad. I have seen this a lot in my pc repair business where people like to set their pc's on there side and a year or so later they return it to normal position. Then after a while the drive crashes. Drive gets used to being in a certain position. So as long as you intend to keep it on its side, you are good to go.....

Wow, very insightful piece of info! I'll keep that in mind.

One question, though. You can go from lying flat to standing on the side at any point (i.e., no matter how long it has been lying flat) but not the other way, right? I had it lying flat for about 6 months and need to know if I'm in for a 'surprise' now that it's on its side.

make sure you have the thing turned off before you move any equipment with a hard drive :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts