Can you pull any video off an internal or external drive to a PC?

nathan118

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
I've been reading about transferring recordings to a PC for editing and saving them.

I've read about how it's a Linux file system and people have figured out ways to read it on a PC. It seems the problem is that the .tsp files are encrypted (though some stuff I've read says they're not encrypted on the internal drive, only on the external). It's hard to find new information, but it sounds like sometime in the last year the programs that COULD convert the tsp files no longer work. Dish changed something.

Anyways, have people confirmed this to be true for both satellite recordings AND OTA recordings? Like if I record something OTA using my antenna and the OTA tuner in the 722, will that mpeg2 recording be encrypted? I understand if the satellite provided feeds are encrypted, but the OTA stuff isn't. Unless the tuner is messing with it, shouldn't it be unencrypted and editable/archivable?

Internal only. Programs going to the external archive disk are encrypted, and reportedly stay that way when restored to the internal disk. Interesting question about OTA channels. I would guess they are gratuitously encrypted as well.

opening VIP for internal Hard drive will void ur warranty, as I was told when I was thinking to recover program from failed HDD.

Actually the seal is on an internal drive cage, not the lid itself. So, if you're careful, you can get at the SATA connector without breaking the seal.

Actually the seal is on an internal drive cage, not the lid itself. So, if you're careful, you can get at the SATA connector without breaking the seal.

Or just go on Ebay and buy a small roll of tamper evident security labels for $10 and put one back on when you're done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)