Can you put an antenna on any metal pole?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Is there a specific pole that you have to put an antenna on? The reason I ask is that I can't put it on the roof as the landlord would rather me not put hole in his roof as he is affraid that it will leak. I live in a ranch style house and thought that I could put a pole on the side of the house put to the roof area and a little beyond for which I could attach the antenna to. Granted, there will be a huge pole going down the side of his house but he don't care, just as long as I don't drill into the roof. Is this possible? How would you ground this?

That will work fine with an OTA antenna. Radio Shack sells various offset brackets that will allow you to mount to the facia board even when your shingles stick over the facia by inches. I'd use both brackets on the facia spaced as far apart as possible for increased strength. I usually use an antenna pole base on a piece of redwood at the ground level which gives you a convenient location to attach a ground wire. I run some very long nails through the redwood that go into the ground giving you more lateral stability. Radio Shack also has 5 and 10 foot long inch and a quarter antenna poles that slide into and lock with each other that are perfect for OTA antennas. I think 20 feet total would be a maximum without guy wires. If you can get 3- 120 degree spaced guy wires another 10 feet is possible.

Thanks for the info Lorenzo. I think that maybe the 10' might be enough. I will have to measure and check it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts