Can you repair Fiberglass satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chipoole

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I recently picked up an old primestar dish 36" round fiber glass. It has a small 1"x1" hole busted in it. the piece from the hole is still dangling there, I was thinking I could just patch it back in place with some car body repair fiberglass paste, and then repaint. can this be done? has it been done befor?? Also, does anyone know if these lnbs from the prime star is any count. I have two of these dishes one of which the lnb looks fine and the other is missing the plastic lense, can you replace those lenses? are they of any importance???

Well Thanks
Regards
Charles Poole

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum :welcome

The Primestar dish can certainly be painted! Mine is Matt Black!

I would go ahead and try patching it up, it can only help and should look better. These dish are pretty easy to pick up so you may come across a replacement. I find people who have one on their home are VERY HAPPY to give it away for free if you do the work.

The LNB should work but can be replaced if needed with a new super low noise model, I would try to cover the LNB lense with something as if water ingresses it can render it useless.

I also have one with the plastic lens cover missing. I covered it with Saran(R) Wrap.

Before using bondo, just try some duct tape top hold the piece in place. If that works, then go for the permanent fix.

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. It sounds like I will be getting off on the right foot.

The damaged place is toward the far left side. 1"x1" about 2 inches from the rim. other than that it is a great looking dish. Well the LNB bracket is broken, I was planing on just fabricating a new bracket although I am not certain how important the alighnment of the LNBS are. Besides the 36"round primestar dish, I also have an oval 34"x22" also missing the lense, I was thinking some thin clear plastic would do the trick, however both of my lnbs have been exposed to moisture and water, I am assuming that once dried out they will work fine.(all semi retoricale)

BTW: Any body in southern Ohio or northern WV. I'm in the New Martinsville, WV area.

Regards
Chipoole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts