Can you temporary close your account for a few months?

This is definitely an extreme, but ask bar owners that have been sued by DTV that brought in their personally owned receiver from their house, so they can air Sunday Ticket for their customers. They paid for the ST, they can do as they please. NOPE, that is incorrect. They can locate that receiver in the bar, but the second they hook it up and display it for public viewing, they have now been in violation of Digital Rights Management. I saw one case from an individual that was sued by DTV for $15k for this very thing just about 2 years ago. He only brought in one receiver while his bar receiver was down, and it was only for the one Sunday, but he lost his case, and then had to pay out big time. I beleive his bar went under because of it.

I know a guy that lost his bar doing this very same thing. I was picking with a local sports bar owner about bringing his home box to the bar and using that when he told me what the PPV for the last big boxing match would cost on his business account.

He said, not no, but hell no. They are known to do audits during these big events and his luck aint that good. lol

WARNING: I just attempted to use "Dish pause" (6/4/2015), for a six month period, for my customer owned VIP 211K+1000.2 with EHD service. The rep informed me that six months is the limit, but you can call in for an additional 3 month extension.
I stated I would be watching recorded Dish programming and OTA channels, she did not inform me of any additional
consequences..

On 6/7/2015, after powering up the 211K, I discovered that Dish had bricked it, EHD disabled, OTA disabled, local tv channel guide non-functional (expected).. nothing but the interactive channels alive(96, 100, 215)... (no free previews, nothing, everything blocked.)

Grrr.. I called up Dish to complain.. Big time..
Talking to a normal csr and even if they do not tell you of something does not mean that is the way it is. Most Dish csr's are so clueless as to what will or will not be of consequence. Using DIRT or at the very least, an online chat will get you better/more complete information every time. Also, DEMANDING Dish do anything never works as all you are really doing is making it easy for a csr to not want to deal with you even if there may be something they could do.

As soon as you cancelled, guess what....you no longer have Active Subscription, and not longer can receive or use that service..

I did not cancel, I used "Dish pause" service which cost $5/Mo to maintain.

From What I've researched over many forums is that .
the bricking of receiver while in "Dish Pause" mode is a NEW Behavior, imposed by a recent firmware update.

I.E. Functionally, that I once had is now gone.. Stolen/hacked/gone.

Now, If I had a leased receiver, I would have no standing to claim damages. But I own that receiver and Dish has damaged it's functionality and subsequent resale value via an unauthorized software update.

That is an actionable tort in both civil and criminal courts.

Might want to read your manual and residential service agreement again. You own the equipment. Not the software. They can change the software anytime they want and you have no recourse. Period. And the resale value likely went down, because the MsRP went down when overtime. The 211 was once $199, can now be picked up anywhere from $49-129. I'd have to look but I believe the last I saw was $89. That is how the life of electronics go. Same with cars, and appliances. Your argument, in this case, is moot.

This is really a joke, right?

"That is an actionable tort in both civil and criminal courts."

Are you kidding me?!?

Tim42 sounds like a lawyer or retired lawyer with way too much time on his hands.

Lol this is one of the few, maybe the only one in history, where I actually have to side with Dish. Gimme a break...

I warning all potential Dish customers.. I will soon post this tidbit on Avsforum, Dbstalk, and Dslreports.

It might change a few minds if potential customers find out that DishNetwork can screw them over at anytime.. (legal or not).
In my opinion, Dish network actions are violation of both FTC rules and the Federal "Computer Fraud and Abuse Act".

I needed a good laugh on this Monday afternoon, thanks!

I did not cancel, I used "Dish pause" service which cost $5/Mo to maintain.

From What I've researched over many forums is that .
the bricking of receiver while in "Dish Pause" mode is a NEW Behavior, imposed by a recent firmware update.

I.E. Functionally, that I once had is now gone.. Stolen/hacked/gone.

Now, If I had a leased receiver, I would have no standing to claim damages. But I own that receiver and Dish has damaged it's functionality and subsequent resale value via an unauthorized software update.

That is an actionable tort in both civil and criminal courts.
Then find a lawyer to take the case on a pure contingency fee basis - no cost to you unless you win.

Be sure and let us know how that works out for you.

Reactions: ChadT41
We moved into our new house over last Thanksgiving weekend. We have a 722, 722k, & a 211k. My Dish service has been on pause since then while we decide to stay with Dish or switch to Comcast. All the free previews each month come in fine in HD, the ota tuners all still work and we can still record on the 722 and the 722k. The Op's problem sounds possible if he cancelled outright, but on Pause he should still have useable features.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The whole point is that they want your money every month and do not want you getting away paying nothing watching free OTA shows and recordings on your external hard drive.

Honestly just sell your Dish garbage on ebay and either get a DTV PAL or Tivo.

I think it sucks what they are trying to force on you and for that I wouldn't pay then another dime

The whole point is that they want your money every month and do not want you getting away paying nothing watching free OTA shows and recordings on your external hard drive.

Honestly just sell your Dish garbage on ebay and either get a DTV PAL or Tivo.

I think it sucks what they are trying to force on you and for that I wouldn't pay then another dime
a3d6f95v.gif

Maybe a call to the Better Business Bureau is in order. Since when can a company charge for their services and use of their equipment or software? This has to end.

Reactions: ChadT41
We moved into our new house over last Thanksgiving weekend. We have a 722, 722k, & a 211k. My Dish service has been on pause since then while we decide to stay with Dish or switch to Comcast. All the free previews each month come in fine in HD, the ota tuners all still work and we can still record on the 722 and the 722k. The Op's problem sounds possible if he cancelled outright, but on Pause he should still have useable features.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Yes, that is exactly my understanding of how the Dish Pause works. It has been well documented on this site and others that you lose access to an external hard drive while on Pause, but if you have a receiver with an internal hard drive and / or OTA capability, then that functionality still works, along with any free preview channels, while you are on Pause, except that there is no guide data for the OTA channels since you are no longer paying for the satellite-delivered locals. If OTA and DVR functionality stopped working while on Pause, then what would be the point of paying the $5 per month when you could simply close your account completely, and save the $5 per month?

Have I described the Dish Pause program correctly, or am I missing something? I am considering putting my account on Pause when my free DVR service credits run out in a few months, and I want to know what to expect. I have a ViP722k with the OTA module, and no external hard drive. Will my DVR and OTA still function if I put my account on Pause? I know this type of question has been asked many times before, but I am wondering if anything has changed recently.

I can't comment on the EHD since my 211k doesn't have one attached.
You are correct on all the other things. Our 722k's OTA module still works, and you can record using manual timers since the OTA locals have no guide info.
Same with the built in OTA tuners of the 722 and 211k, they both work, and the 722 can also record OTA with manual timers.
Any free preview programs in the guide, (example for this weekend, HBO/Cinemax) can be recorded from the guide like usual.
You can also view any content already recorded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)