Can you use 5.1 speaker system with 7.1 receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Steve Mackay

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
I thought I posted this yesterday but it must have gotten burried. Sorry for the re-post if someone found it somewhere else.

It's hard to find a 5.1 receiver these days all of them seem to be 7.1 but my room is too small for a 7.1 system (and there are no good placements fot eh extra 2). Can I buy a 7.1 receiver and just use a 5.1 speaker setup leaving the 2 rear speaker terminals empty?

Yes, I do believe you can......and because speaker placement is such a subjective and sometimes difficult thing to get right, 5.1 is plenty for most folks. I'm pretty sure most 7.1 receivers can be used with 5.1, they probaby even have a setting for it.

Receivers with 7.1 capability often have a second "zone", where you can assign 2 channels to play a completely different program, say in a different room. Take a look at the detailed specs for the receiver you are looking at. In this case, the receiver knows that there are only 5.1 channels to send out, so it should work great.

Yes you can. When you go into setup most all allow you to specify size and whether or not a speaker is connected to each certain output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)