Can You Use a HD-DVR on a Non-HD Television?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jyafink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
First off, I of course know I can't get HD on a standard television. The reason I ask this question is because I have a new customer install on August 8. I told the CSR I wanted two HD-DVRs but she told me existing customers almost always get a better deal when they upgrade and it would be cheaper for me to wait 30 days and upgrade to another HD-DVR at that time. However, responses to this post of mine said what she indicated is not true and I should get all I can installed up front (http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...add-extra-hd-dvr-initially-after-30-days.html).

So, if I know that by the end of the year I'll have another plasma television, if I get two HD-DVRs on the initial install will I be able to hook one up to a regular television and use it there until the other plasma is bought? Will I run into any problems or be missing any features if I do? Any comments to this (and also my above post) would be appreciated. I'll need to call D* in the next couple days and let them know I want another HD-DVR if it will work. Thanks.

First off, I of course know I can't get HD on a standard television. The reason I ask this question is because I have a new customer install on August 8. I told the CSR I wanted two HD-DVRs but she told me existing customers almost always get a better deal when they upgrade and it would be cheaper for me to wait 30 days and upgrade to another HD-DVR at that time. However, responses to this post of mine said what she indicated is not true and I should get all I can installed up front (http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...add-extra-hd-dvr-initially-after-30-days.html).

So, if I know that by the end of the year I'll have another plasma television, if I get two HD-DVRs on the initial install will I be able to hook one up to a regular television and use it there until the other plasma is bought? Will I run into any problems or be missing any features if I do? Any comments to this (and also my above post) would be appreciated. I'll need to call D* in the next couple days and let them know I want another HD-DVR if it will work. Thanks.
First of all, Welcome to the site !
Yes, you can use a HD DVR on a Non HD set without any trouble as long as it has connections for the rec., you can use anything pretty much to connect it, they have Composite/ Component and HDMI on the boxes, I would imagine your older non HD set has at least one of them.

Remember when you set it up again on your NEW set your getting to use the correct connections so you get the HD signal.
HDMI is the perfered connection, but not the only choice available.

Jimbo

Wow, thanks for the fast response. I just thought of two more things.

1. Will I be able watch HD channels like HDNET through the HD-DVR on the regular television and have them come through in SD?

2. Will I be able to record in HD on the HD-DVR even though it is hooked up to a regular television? I'm thinking I might need it as a backup in case the other HD-DVR hooked up to the plasma screws up for some reason. That way, if needed, I'd just unhook the HD-DVR from the regular television and hook it up to the plasma.

Wow, thanks for the fast response. I just thought of two more things.

1. Will I be able watch HD channels like HDNET through the HD-DVR on the regular television and have them come through in SD?

2. Will I be able to record in HD on the HD-DVR even though it is hooked up to a regular television? I'm thinking I might need it as a backup in case the other HD-DVR hooked up to the plasma screws up for some reason. That way, if needed, I'd just unhook the HD-DVR from the regular television and hook it up to the plasma.

1. Yes, as long as you have the proper sub with D*, which you pretty much have to have anymore in order to have an HD rec.

2. Yes, also see 1.

Also, you can hook a OTA antenna to your HD DVR (depending on the unit you get) and record your locals in HD as well.
I don't know where you are and if OTA is the way you get your locals, but if it is, you will probably get the newer HD DVR (HR21) this unit does NOT have a OTA connection, if you want OTA make sure to get a AM 21 from them, it's a seperate box that will allow you to get the OTA channels and record them that way, they usually go for $ 50, you may do better if you ask.
IF you get the older HR20 HD DVR's you do not need the AM21 as this funtion is part of the rec. already.

Jimbo

By "sub" do mean the $9.99 HD service (I'm a relative newbie)? I'll of course have that due to my other plasma. Also, the CSR told me for sure I'd be getting an HR-21 since locals are available in my city.

By "sub" do mean the $9.99 HD service (I'm a relative newbie)? I'll of course have that due to my other plasma. Also, the CSR told me for sure I'd be getting an HR-21 since locals are available in my city.

Yes, you need to have the HD package (9.99) to get any of the HD channels, which you already have accounted for when you tell them you want the HD channels :)

You should really be good to go.... :)

You are not REQUIRED to get the locals from D*, but it is an option, did she say if they were available in HD for you as well.

I currently have SD available to me thru D*, but pass on it, because the HD is not available... I've been watching locals in HD for 10 years now with the OTA set up.

If D* is giving you the locals in HD, go for it, if you don't like it, you always have other options.

Jimbo

If I'm not required to get locals, that just means I can opt to have them via OTA, correct? If so, what is the advantage to that? I will get locals through D* she said and five will be in HD. What I'd like to do is bypass the locals all together and opt for the national feeds instead, but I did another post on that a while back and was told it was not possible (legally).

If I'm not required to get locals, that just means I can opt to have them via OTA, correct? If so, what is the advantage to that? I will get locals through D* she said and five will be in HD. What I'd like to do is bypass the locals all together and opt for the national feeds instead, but I did another post on that a while back and was told it was not possible (legally).

Yes that was correct, you cannot legally get the East or West National feeds, unless there are NO options and you cannot get a signal from the local guys. This design is made by your locals that you would have to talk to about it, not D*, if the locals give you the OK for the Nationals, then it's OK, you would have to talk to all the stations individually, also, just because say CBS gives you the OK, that doesn't mean the other s will as well.

You CAN opt out of the locals thru D* if you want, let them know when you sign up, it will save you a whopping $ 3 p/m.

Jimbo

Thank you for all your help tonight!!! It's getting late here but I did have one more thought before I shut down. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable so maybe you know the answer to it - [URL]http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/144241-will-installer-hook-up-hd-dvr-not-bought-through-d.html#post1470216
[/URL]

Like Jag said, it all depends on the installer....
If he has what you need on the truck, they are usually pretty good to work with. it also will depend on how the guys day is going, if he's behind on his installs or ahead.
Be pleasant and see how he feels about it.

Jimbo

First of all, Welcome to the site !
Yes, you can use a HD DVR on a Non HD set without any trouble as long as it has connections for the rec., you can use anything pretty much to connect it, they have Composite/ Component and HDMI on the boxes, I would imagine your older non HD set has at least one of them.

Remember when you set it up again on your NEW set your getting to use the correct connections so you get the HD signal.
HDMI is the perfered connection, but not the only choice available.

Jimbo

When I called for one, they told me the installer wount install it on a non HD TV.:(

They said he can't install the B-Band converters.:confused:

Rent a TV for the install?

Well hopefully this month I might get my first HD TV., WOOHOO.:D

My friend is getting a new LCD TV., so he's selling me his 30" samsung CRT TV. I know it's not the best, but for the price and my first, it will help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts