Can you use TV2 remote for TV1?

davidrea

Original poster
May 30, 2009
Indiana
My 3 year old has hidden/lost our remote control for our dish receiver. The good news is we have an extra remote TV2. Right now we have 2 TV1 remotes we are using for 2 tvs and it's a pain. Is there a way to take a TV 2 remote and make it work for TV1? Thank you.

David

update to potential fixes

Well, I tried the tab switch and it doesn't work because they are actually different.

I can't get TV2 remote to do anything so I'm not sure how to change the settings. I might be able to go to tv 2 upstairs and see if I can, but not sure how to change that mode. Do you know more? Seems like there would be somewhere some type of easy change.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, I tried the tab switch and it doesn't work because they are actually different.

I can't get TV2 remote to do anything so I'm not sure how to change the settings. I might be able to go to tv 2 upstairs and see if I can, but not sure how to change that mode. Do you know more? Seems like there would be somewhere some type of easy change.

Thanks
Use the front panel to go to System Info.

Remove the Blue Tab and look down into slot where the tabs go. (you can not simply reverse the tab since it is the wrong configuration for what you want to do)

You will see a guitar pick shaped slider that has about five click stops.

I can't remember if it is the second or third click position (from the left) which puts the remote into a "UHF TV 1" mode...but one of them does.

Take something like a paper clip and click the slider over.

Press and hold the white "sat" button on the top left until they all light up.

Then press the numeral 1....then the pound symbol [#] ....wait 3 blinks....then press the Record button.

If you are in the proper click stop, you will see the Tuner 1 block (box i) change from IR to "IR UHF Pro Band A".

Do NOT put the bottom tab back in as it will change the click position.

If you simply MUST fill the hole, clip the tabs down to nubs that are long enough to stick in the hole, but too short the move the slider.

Flipping the key should do it. Depending on what version remote, the opposite color will either be Green (IR) or Black (old style UHF and IR). The remote was probably still set to TV-2 remote address. You just need to match it with TV-1.

Flipping the key should do it. Depending on what version remote, the opposite color will either be Green (IR) or Black (old style UHF and IR). The remote was probably still set to TV-2 remote address. You just need to match it with TV-1.

Thanks everyone!

You can set the AUX button to control TV1 without changing any settings or flipping the tab.
But only in IR.

Since it is an extra remote it is advantageous to change Tuner 1 to accept UHF as well as IR.

Nothing like lying on the couch and changing channels with no concern as to where you are pointing the remote :D

But what if I have two 622 receivers. Will it not control both 622's in the house if I make that change.
There are 15 (actually 30) different codes for Dish receivers.

After holding down the white 'sat' button, you press any number from 1-15 then hit the # key.

The white sat button will blink 3 times if you put in a valid number.

Then you press the record button and the receiver will will change its code to the one you selected for the remote.

So, for example, if you wanted all your tuners to work via UHF, set one 622 to TV1 = 1 UHF...TV 2 = 2 UHF...second 622...Tuner 1 = 3 UHF and Tuner 2 = 4 UHF.

.....etc.

But only in IR.

Since it is an extra remote it is advantageous to change Tuner 1 to accept UHF as well as IR.

Nothing like lying on the couch and changing channels with no concern as to where you are pointing the remote :D

True, but I prefer the convenience of using one remote. And the IR transmitter on the Dish remote is pretty strong. I can usually point it anywhere in the room and it will work. It will even work around corners as long as you point it at a window or other reflective surface that can be seen from both rooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)