Can you watch 1 HD & record another HD at the same time?

Well, DUH, this is a satellite tuner/DVR, the OTA recording capability is a perk. Not having a second OTA tuner is not a missing feature.

Let's see, there are 4 major networks, we need 4 OTA tuners in a satellite DVR receiver.

Every other provider allows you to record two local HD stations simultaneously. Comcast 6412 does this, as do to the DirecTV receivers. With Dish, this is only possible if your market has HD locals.

PS - Or if you move... ;)

Last edited:
What company provides 2 OTA tuners along with two sat tuners? If you need more OTA tuners, setup an HTPC and put 4 OTAs in there.

I barely have enough time to watch what I record off the three tuners that I have already! How do you have time to employ 4 or more tuners simultaneously and then watch all of that?

I pick two or three shows to follow live and I get the dvd sets for the others that I did not follow. Just now watching Without A Trace. The upscaled dvd episodes look great on my 90" screen!

The TiVO Series 3 has 6 tuners. 2 analog cable, 2 digital cable, and 2 OTA tuners. You can record two things at a time from any combination of sources while watching any other from the DVR.

Cable companies almost always offer local HD stations, so it's possible to record two HD local stations at the same time.

The DirecTV receivers also allow this, plus in Indy D* offers Indy HD locals, which Dish does not.

But if you live in a Market where Dish does offer HD LIL, then you can record 3 shows at the same time. Something that DirectTV and Comcast can not do.

I used do this frequent on Sunday and Thursday nights. Thank goodness I didn't go with Comcast or DirectTV, unless of course I want to settle for less.

The TiVO Series 3 has 6 tuners. 2 analog cable, 2 digital cable, and 2 OTA tuners. You can record two things at a time from any combination of sources while watching any other from the DVR.

Cable companies almost always offer local HD stations, so it's possible to record two HD local stations at the same time. *** These are not OTA though and as you admit, not everyone gets HD even from cable***

The DirecTV receivers also allow this, plus in Indy D* offers Indy HD locals, which Dish does not. ***Dish DOES allow you record up to 3 HD channels at one time, if you have LiLs in your area so it's not something Dish CAN'T do, it's just no possible for you at this time. Go do what you can do.***

Sounds like you need a Tivo Series 3 then.

The drawback to that is that the Tivo is only recording in mpeg2 and it can only record two events at one time while I can record 3 events AND watch 2 already recorded events simultaneously.

Like everyone else, you have to match service and equipment capabilities with your needs.

As I said earlier, you can setup an HTPC and record as many OTA events simultaneously as you want, something cable and DirecTV cannot do, not just Dish.

Sounds like you need a Tivo Series 3 then.

The drawback to that is that the Tivo is only recording in mpeg2 and it can only record two events at one time while I can record 3 events AND watch 2 already recorded events simultaneously.

Like everyone else, you have to match service and equipment capabilities with your needs.

As I said earlier, you can setup an HTPC and record as many OTA events simultaneously as you want, something cable and DirecTV cannot do, not just Dish.

Actually, the S3 can handle MPEG 4.

It's moot now anyway. I "moved" to Atlanta last night and I'm quite happy. :)

Hmm.. I can record 3 OTA channels and 2 Sat HD Channels on my TV.. At the same time. OH yea.. I have a E* 622 and a D* HR20 on my Theatre system in the Main TV Room.. And if that isn't enough I move to the bedroom to record 3 more shows on my other 622.. Or a couple more on my 625 in SD if I get desparate.

It's all relative.. You can do whatever you want as long as you are willing to put the money out there. But if you go with a standard setup you are going to miss something at some point in time.

As far as I know, it will play mpeg4 but not record it. Regardless... go record some LiLs!

The quality of the locals is surprisingly good. I tried as hard as I could to find a quality difference between OTA and Dish LiL (comparing Letterman and Leno, on a 61" screen, sitting 11 feet away as well as very close to the screen) and I could not come up with anything concrete.

Maybe there's a difference in an action movie, but in typical viewing I thought the quality was far better than Dish's current MPEG 2 channels.

As far as I know, it will play mpeg4 but not record it. Regardless... go record some LiLs!

Series 3 records the bitstream just like a dish dvr, it does not matter if the source is mpeg2 or mpeg4. The series 3 only encodes video if recording from an analog source.

I think its funny how tivo fans think the series 3 has 6 tuners but for some reason can only use two at a time.

I have the same question, the original person asked.... Can I record one HD program and watch another HD Program. As per my telephone call to Dish, they said that I would only be able to watch one HD program or record it while the other would be in SD mode. How is a person able to watch one HD program and record another HD program? As the quick facts state here: "View HD or SD content on TV1, and TV 2 you have SD or down-converted HD". No where does it say, Record HD on TV1 and watch HD on TV2.

Last edited:
I have the same question, the original person asked.... Can I record one HD program and watch another HD Program. As per my telephone call to Dish, they said that I would only be able to watch one HD program or record it while the other would be in SD mode. How is a person able to watch one HD program and record another HD program? As the quick facts state here: "View HD or SD content on TV1, and TV 2 you have SD or down-converted HD". No where does it say, Record HD on TV1 and watch HD on TV2.

You are confusing tuners with outputs, which is not uncommon since Dish has used the same nomenclature for tuners and outputs.

The 622 has three HD tuners, two are via satellite and one is an OTA ATSC HDTV tuner. They are named TV1(OTA), TV1(SAT) and TV2(SAT) parenthesis added. All three tuners can record HD simultaneously.

The 622 has 2 outputs strangely called TV1 and TV2. TV1 outputs HD via hdmi and component ports and SD via s-video, composite and the agile modulator (RF). TV2 outputs SD via composite and agile modulator (RF).

Depending on whether you are in single or dual mode the tuners are linked to outputs in various ways, but anything prerecorded off any tuner can be played back to any output.

You are confusing tuners with outputs, which is not uncommon since Dish has used the same nomenclature for tuners and outputs.

The 622 has three HD tuners, two are via satellite and one is an OTA ATSC HDTV tuner. They are named TV1(OTA), TV1(SAT) and TV2(SAT) parenthesis added. All three tuners can record HD simultaneously.

The 622 has 2 outputs strangely called TV1 and TV2. TV1 outputs HD via hdmi and component ports and SD via s-video, composite and the agile modulator (RF). TV2 outputs SD via composite and agile modulator (RF).

Depending on whether you are in single or dual mode the tuners are linked to outputs in various ways, but anything prerecorded off any tuner can be played back to any output.

So, if I were to record something under TV2, would it be recorded in the the true HD? Or which port should I hookup TV2?

If the transmission is HD, the 622 records it in HD.

If you watch it via output TV1, you'll see it in HD.

If you watch it via output TV2, it will be down rezzed to SD by the 622.

All SD transmissions will be seen in SD regardless of output used.

Then, how do you record something in HD-TV 1 and watch something else in HD-TV 1? When I tried to record something in single mode, it would still record the program under SD-TV 2.

Then, how do you record something in HD-TV 1 and watch something else in HD-TV 1? When I tried to record something in single mode, it would still record the program under SD-TV 2.

There is no such thing as recording "under XX-TV2". If you are in single mode, the only TV is TV1 - your HDTV. Start recording an HD program. Once it is recording, go to the guide & select a different HD program. The one that is recording is being recorded just as it comes in from the satellite - in HD. Later - watch it on the HDTV.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)