Status
Not open for further replies.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
(regardless of this being in Canada or the U.S., it's shameful to disrespect fallen soldiers in this matter)

It's a disgrace to those that gave their lives for Canada, and to make matters worse it happened on Canada Day.

Waves of disgust swept through the nation after a veteran snapped photos of three young men relieving themselves on the National War Memorial in Ottawa.

Retired Major Michael Pilon says most people cheered and laughed when the photos were taken Saturday night.

"I just happened to have my camera, and there they were," he said. "Quite eager to pose, I may add. I guess that's just one of the symptoms of having one beer too many."

But not everybody's laughing. Upon hearing of the incident, Prime Minister Stephen Harper expressed his anger with trio and called their action a "terrible thing to do."

Ottawa Police Detective Mike Walker said charges of mischief for urinating in public will be laid, while the Royal Canadian Legion plans to use the photos to support its call for increased security at the monument.

"The bottom line is let's get something done for next year," he said. "You can't prevent the drunks - that's just part of being young and foolish - so just keep them away from there somehow."

But other veterans aren't so patient or forgiving.

Cliff Chadderton, chairman of the National Council of Veteran Associations in Canada, said such a "despicable act" is proof many young Canadians simply don't respect those that served.

"The Tomb itself is a target for people who don't understand our military history and don't want to understand it," he said.

However, in an effort to have cooler heads prevail while the situation is resolved, Harper insists the actions of three foolish individuals shouldn't represent the attitudes of an entire country.

"As you know often, people who get carried away do thoughtless things," he said.

"Certainly my impression is it doesn't represent in any way the views of any segment of Canadian society," he said. "I think we all strongly honour our vets."

"I notice at all these ceremonies, the veterans always get the largest ovation of anybody, and I think that's how Canadians feel."

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_1740.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)