Canales en Espanol - 93.1W & 116.8W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
NOTE: This is a continuation of my "Sky Mexico" thread, I thought I would post a new thread because this will cover a how to combine 2 satellites that are spaced so far apart.

I have someone that is very interested in getting two popular spanish channels that are in the clear but the channels are on two different satellites. The problem is at the condo she resides in she is allowed only one dish....

Here are the two channels she wants:
AZTECA 7,13,40 @ 93.1w Ku
Televisa Tijuana @ 116.8w Ku

I will be using a 90cm GloryStar dish with two linear bullet lnb's. I would like to fabricate a lnb holder of some type and secure the lnb's on one dish to look at both 93.1 & 116.8

Is this something that either has been done before or is it even possible?

Hehe.. I knew she wanted Televisa and Azteca.. good deal.
Now as far as catching both birds with same dish with the 23.7 degree separation can be a pain to achieve properly. Best bet would be to motor that setup, or probably use a 1m dish to be able to get signals from 93/116w somehow.

There was a thread some time ago where someone considered trying nine degree separation. That was really far apart back then.

I think you will find the LNBFs are so far away from the focal point that the signal will be too low for a 90cm dish.

It won't hurt to try it, except possibly being a waste of time. If you make it work, people will bow at your feet.

Motor is the way to go.

The other thing to consider is the satellite footprint of 116.8
The farther north you go the worse it gets. Here in MN I can barely get anything with a 36" (but Azteca I can get on an 18" dish and KU LNB...its that strong)

Folks in the Southern US can get those channels on 116.8 with no issues

Azteca I can get on an 18" dish and KU LNB...its that strong

Interesting, I will consider testing a DSS dish next time I do an install at 93w for family that wants tv Azteca.

We'll see how strong it can do from Socal.

outside the box:

Yea, good thinking.
Maybe you could sneak in a 20 or 22 inch dish in addition to a 36 or 1m dish?
Still have to consider rain-fade, of course. ;)

What I originally was going to suggest is maybe using the "one dish per condo" rule (which is not enforceable) and offer to share signals with a neighbor, for allowing your customer's 2nd dish outside the other unit.
Or, if there are numerous clients for these Spanish-language services living there, maybe one or two big dishes on the roof, fed through a multiswitch to several units?
Share the cost, but get you more business?

rethink:
The other thing to consider is the satellite footprint of 116.8
The farther north you go the worse it gets.
Here in MN I can barely get anything with a 36"
(but Azteca I can get on an 18" dish and KU LNB...its that strong)
Well, based on that info and your customer's location, if you have any chance at all, put the 116 LNB on bore-sight, and the other LNB far off center.
I'm not holding out much hope, but good luck. - :up

Last edited:
This may be a good application for a toroid dish like the T90. 14 degrees of spread in satellites is trivial on such a dish as one can go up to 40 degrees and sometimes a little more. It's also easy to add more satellites down the road if you plan ahead in the initial alignment. One can also add LNBs for DBS down the road and keep to a single dish.

Toroids are a little more expensive, but less than two dishes of comparable size and less than a motorized setup. You can save some money by telling Wave Frontier not to include any LNBs with the dish and picking it up at the shipping company's depot.

This might help .. I've always been tempted to use one of those adjustable LNB brackets..

Attachments

• 6-lnb-bracket-layout-1.jpg
    6-lnb-bracket-layout-1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 185
I'm using one of those on a 30" dish for 91-97-103, but I wonder if non-DBS satellites are really do-able any wider than that. For some reason all the pictures always show 82-91-110-119 :rolleyes:

I would definitely point at 116.8w and with a bracket try to pull 93w which like Iceberg said, its the stronger bird.

I'm using one of those on a 30" dish for 91-97-103, but I wonder if non-DBS satellites are really do-able any wider than that. For some reason all the pictures always show 82-91-110-119 :rolleyes:

Uh huh...

The DBS satellites are much higher power, so they can get away with doing 82-119 easier.

UPDATE:

I think I got in over my head a little, I don't know what to do. Requesting advice please.

After installing a Dish for my customer with the three Azteca channels, Now I got many phone calls from her friends and family that wants me to install the same thing for them. I would say 6 families are requesting my services.
Here is the problem, Lets say I go ahead and buy a dish, lnb and receiver for all 6 families and get them all up and running with Azteca channels and then Azteca decides to black out/scramble their channels on FTA.... I would be the first one they call and blame.
I explained the best that I could to my first customer that these channels are not guaranteed to last and could go away at any given moment, She said she understands. But would she still understand if she lost those channels?, I think not.

Should I go ahead and install all of the spanish families here in town and use the profit to buy a small corporate jet or be safe and not pursue this at all?.

Should I go ahead and install all of the spanish families here in town and use the profit to buy a small corporate jet or be safe and not pursue this at all?.

Yes, just do it, the time go and go, FTA always remain (I hope so), if Aztecas disappear, you go to your costumers and move the dish to get Telemundo, if after that, Telemundo goes, you move to the 43W (2 spanish stations), if 43W no more free, then you seek the spanish channels of 30W (if you can get it). Other options are 95W and 97W.

At this time, we hope more spanish channels enter to the FTA world.

Univision & Telefutura were 5 years FTA, Estrella Channels only 1 month, we don´t know how long we can have that channels with us, but only what can we do, is this: enjoy.

If your customers want sure TV. subscription is better!;)

Well just to let ya know, Azteca's on 93w did go black (encrypted) for a while back in 2007 and returned back months later.. i'd say about a year later.

With my luck, The week after I did these installs then there will be some extreme, never before seen, once in a million years huge solar flare that knocks out all of the satellites that have the spanish channels on them.

With my luck, The week after I did these installs then there will be some extreme, never before seen, once in a million years huge solar flare that knocks out all of the satellites that have the spanish channels on them.

Do it before world reaches 2012...:eek:

You didn't get in over your head, you just found a new market! I would not hesitate for a moment to install FTA systems for these families! Word of mouth advertising will keep you busy!

Make sure that you install a receiver and LNBF that you trust and can provide support. Show the customer how to blind scan, then have them sign a simple two or three sentence acknowledgement of training and that they have been informed that the channel availability is subject to the broadcaster's discretion. Include your warranty and service information so they will have an understanding of what to expect if they call you with questions or need you to return.

A word of advice from a former installer:
Do not even consider installing a motorized system for a non-techie person. Too many things can go wrong with a motorized system and it is extremely difficult to provide technical support over the telephone. The simpler, the better!

Is that any worse than a charge back from Dish Network? :eek: LOL!!!

I agree with Brian

If all they want is Azteca, then set it up just for that. You might want to keep the setups the same (especially the receiver) in case they call with issues you dont have to worry about "now what buttons do I push to do a manual scan??" with the different receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts