cancel dish and sending in equipment

catman60

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
michigan
i cancelled dish and got the prepaid boxes to send my equipment back to dish but it doesn't say anything about sending back the remote. am i required to send it back?if not i can give it to my son

Dish isn't the only provider that doesn't require the remotes. When my mom cancelled Comcast, the csr only wanted the boxes back. She was told to keep the remotes.

Anyway, does anyone know why this is so? Can't refurb a remote?

Why would you want to send back the remotes? My theory for keeping the remote is that Dish has no idea if you purchased that remote or not. Remotes get replaced all the time. Plus, a new remote does not cost them much and wouldn't have much value being used.

i'm returning a 211 and 612.they sent 2 boxes but only a return shipp label in the 211 box,nothing in the 612 box

Dish isn't the only provider that doesn't require the remotes. When my mom cancelled Comcast, the csr only wanted the boxes back. She was told to keep the remotes.

Anyway, does anyone know why this is so? Can't refurb a remote?

Even though some remotes may still work, we don't send customers used remotes. Since we will send a new one to them, returning the old one isn't required.

When I recently returned a Joey the instructions specifically stated to return the remote. I didn't. 2 days later I was cleared.

Can you imagine if you received a used remote? Only thing I can think of is Dish might part out the old remotes, but then again, is it even worth the effort?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Why would you want to send back the remotes? My theory for keeping the remote is that Dish has no idea if you purchased that remote or not. Remotes get replaced all the time. Plus, a new remote does not cost them much and wouldn't have much value being used.

Remotes can get pretty grimy, and the cleaning cost probably costs far more than just using a new remote for the next customer.

Used remotes are just sickening.

I can't tell you how many times I get back a remote that is greasy or has food stuck between the buttons or in the seems.

I would never give a used remote to a new customer.

I do keep the used remotes we get back from customers. They all go in a big box and I let customers buy them for $5 each if they don't want to spend $20 on a new remote.

Only people who actually don't mind the used remotes is a mental hospital we service, as the patients like to throw the remotes and break them. One of my customers go through 1-2 remotes per week.

I don't keep all the remotes we get back, I trash the really bad ones. A few times I had to use pliers to take the remote out of the box just to throw it away.

That blows. I had a Joey taken out when I moved and the tech wanted the remote for it. Sure would have been nice to have a spare...

That blows. I had a Joey taken out when I moved and the tech wanted the remote for it. Sure would have been nice to have a spare...

When I upgraded one of my leased Hopper 2000s to the Hopper w/Sling, the tech wanted the old remote. What I did was wait until he was done, then when once he was on a hurry to leave I said "oh heck, I need to restore my timers from the remote backup." He said "OK sure," and we went to his van to get the remote. I asked "do you mind waiting a sec while I restore?" and he said "You can keep it I'll just throw one in from another receiver. They don't really care about the remotes anyway." So if you want to keep your remote, that's a good way to do it :p .

Clueless. When I send out technicians to get equipment I tell then to get everything, as everything has a value.

I just hate it when you get a remote and its all shiny looking like someone rubbed Vaseline over it.

I find that as the remotes wear down they get glossy. The texture of the plastic just wears off, like it's been carefully polished by hand :p . My sister has Dish too, and somehow she manages to make every button stick and the remote is just plain awful to touch. I'm a bit of a recovering germaphobe so I (politely and discreetly) wash my hands after touching it. My remotes never end up sticking even after 2-3 years. I'm pretty careful about food and grease and crap. Then again I guess it's because I'm so used to handling touchscreen devices. But even before I had them I was careful, I guess sometimes germaphobia pays off. One thing's for sure, I rarely ever get sick, maybe once every couple of years.

Clueless. When I send out technicians to get equipment I tell then to get everything, as everything has a value.

I just hate it when you get a remote and its all shiny looking like someone rubbed Vaseline over it.

Don't ask what channels he subscribes to!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts