Canceled MLB EI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I just canceled MLB EI. DirecTV will raise the price again this year to a little over $200 for the season, while MLB.TV will lower their price another $10 this year. When I went to cancel they told me they will take $10 off for all 6 payments to save me $60. Even with that discount, it will sill be more than MLB.TV about $50 more than MLB.TV.

Now I can still watch all of the games on my TV through my PS3, but I also get the added benefit of being able to watch it on any PC, my laptop, my phone, and my iPad.

The only thing I will miss is the EI mix channel and the fact that I do not have to flip between two different devices to watch a game and watch other programming. I pretty much only watch baseball during the summer anyway, so that is not that big of a deal.

I had MLB.tv last year. Don't forget to add in the cost of your phone and iPad apps into the equation. It drove me nuts that I essentially had to pay for the same content three times.

dangue said:
I had MLB.tv last year. Don't forget to add in the cost of your phone and iPad apps into the equation. It drove me nuts that I essentially had to pay for the same content three times.

I always by those apps anyway, as I listen to the audio and watch the few free games each day.

ddinsm said:
Thinking about doing the same thing myself, do they have a player for the xbox 360?

The last I heard, the only game console it was on last year was the PS3. I have yet to hear if the are offering it on others this year. Although the XBox is the only one to get ESPN 360

I had MLB.TV last year for my PS3 and it was mostly a good experience. Except for one minor thing. I watch the Cubs and on MLB.TV, during the 7th inning stretch (which I happen to enjoy as the Cubs often have celebs doing it), MLB.TV cuts off and won't allow you to see it for whatever reason. With Extra Innings, I of course don't have this issue. I was going to go back to Extra Innings this year but the price increase is concerning.

There is supposedly an app for my Samsung Internet HDTV for mlb.tv. However I have downloaded it and everytime I go to access it; it tells me a software update is needed for it but there is no way to get it. Anyone else having issues with it on their internet tvs or other devices?

There is supposedly an app for my Samsung Internet HDTV for mlb.tv. However I have downloaded it and everytime I go to access it; it tells me a software update is needed for it but there is no way to get it. Anyone else having issues with it on their internet tvs or other devices?

Internet@TV | SAMSUNG

Every now and then, you may need to update your software/firmware to access the latest Internet@TV features. There are three ways to update your software - automatic, internet manual and USB manual.

1. AUTOMATIC VIA INTERNET
Beginning mid-September 2009, your Samsung HDTV will automatically alert you if a new version of your software is available (if you are connected to the internet). When the screen pops up on the TV, you can select "YES" to download the latest software (it will take about 10 minutes) or you can select "NO" and you won't be prompted again until the next time you turn on your TV.

2. MANUAL VIA INTERNET
If you don't want to wait for your TV to prompt you, you can manually update your software by going to the set-up menu on your TV and selecting "By Online". Note: You must be connected to the Internet to complete the software update. To find the latest software, go to our Software Update Quick Guide for more information.

3. MANUAL VIA USB
If you don't want to wait for your TV to prompt you, you can manually update your software by downloading the latest software update onto your computer, then moving it on your USB drive and inserting the USB drive into the USB slot on your HDTV. In the set-up menu, select "By USB" to complete the software update. To find the latest software go to our Software Update Quick Guide for more information.

We also dumped EI in favor of MLB.TV last year, mostly because we had season tickets for the Twins, and it made it easy to keep tabs on the White Sox while we were there. I can't say that I really missed EI much at all. With the PS3, it streams a high enough quality to be acceptable (they say it's "HD", but that's probably a stretch). If they added a little more bang for the buck with the At-Bat app, I think the $15 charge wouldn't be as painful. For us, adding a little more in the way of "at the ballpark" features would go a long way.

I totally understand the cost issue. I did try MLB.TV about three years ago and i totally hated it....lag.....pixelating....etc. BUT in MLB TV's defense I was on Cox cable in VA and they totally sucked at the time ( I assume they still do). I never tried it again once I got FIOS and maybe I should have.

Picture quality, especially frame rate sucks compared to Directv. I have both. When I watch thru my Roku box, it is practically unwatchable. I even have a very good internet connection. I can't speak for PS3 and others, but Roku/MLB is a joke. There are tons of complaints about it all over the net. It constantly freezes, and often I have to completely reset the Roku box which takes a few minutes. That seems to always happen when the bases are loaded and a 3-2 count on someone. I am not sure if it is MLB or Roku's fault, but as of the 2010 season it was awful.
Also, note that you wont get any of the pregame/postgame shows, etc, plus there is a delay.

who will you be going to next
I have a High speed internet and digital Phone install on Febuary 10th from Blue Ridge Communications.
Its $49.99 for the first year and 69.99 after that, but that includes Ulimited phone service with all the bells and Whistles and G10 Internet( 10MBPS) and NO commitment.
So it will just be a matter of time before I take their 4 free HD DVRs and Bundle their entire service.

Best of all No commitments.

Right now, Verizon is wacking me $56.99 for just basic no long distance or caller ID and 3 MBPS internet DSL, And then I have Vonage that cost another $35 per month.

Verizon and Vonage can go suck it!

Satellite tv is near the end for me.
I've had both Dish and Direct and they both have major issues.
Price increases across the board, Limited selection on just about everything, the VOD take forever to download, and both companys do nothing but raise rates and make record profits every year.
And to get any equipment that functions properly you have to spend $200 out of pocket on recivers you don't own.

Sorry , I'd rather Spend $40 per month in fees have a 4 fast working HD DVRs then pay $400 just to add 2 HD DVR and pay their fee's on top of that, while committing another 24 months on equipment that I'll never own.
NFL ST is the only that won't be available to me, But Red Zone is and so is all of my Home teams including Comcast Philly.

Last edited:
I have a High speed internet and digital Phone install on Febuary 10th from Blue Ridge Communications.
Its $49.99 for the first year and 69.99 after that, but that includes Ulimited phone service with all the bells and Whistles and G10 Internet( 10MBPS) and NO commitment.
So it will just be a matter of time before I take their 4 free HD DVRs and Bundle their entire service.

Best of all No commitments.

Right now, Verizon is wacking me $56.99 for just basic no long distance or caller ID and 3 MBPS internet DSL, And then I have Vonage that cost another $35 per month.

Verizon and Vonage can go suck it!

Satellite tv is near the end for me.
I've had both Dish and Direct and they both have major issues.
Price increases across the board, Limited selection on just about everything, the VOD take forever to download, and both companys do nothing but raise rates and make record profits every year.
And to get any equipment that functions properly you have to spend $200 out of pocket on recivers you don't own.

Sorry , I'd rather Spend $40 per month in fees have a 4 fast working HD DVRs then pay $400 just to add 2 HD DVR and pay their fee's on top of that, while committing another 24 months on equipment that I'll never own.
NFL ST is the only that won't be available to me, But Red Zone is and so is all of my Home teams including Comcast Philly.

Only problem, eventually all your promos will end and they will try to sucker you in for $160-170 a month.

Picture quality, especially frame rate sucks compared to Directv. I have both. When I watch thru my Roku box, it is practically unwatchable. I even have a very good internet connection. I can't speak for PS3 and others, but Roku/MLB is a joke. There are tons of complaints about it all over the net. It constantly freezes, and often I have to completely reset the Roku box which takes a few minutes. That seems to always happen when the bases are loaded and a 3-2 count on someone. I am not sure if it is MLB or Roku's fault, but as of the 2010 season it was awful.
Also, note that you wont get any of the pregame/postgame shows, etc, plus there is a delay.
I have see games on the PS3 and the PQ is pretty darn good. EI PQ is a little better, but not worth me paying 100% more

I wonder if we might be getting it on the AppleTV?? With it being on the iPad and iPhone that would be sweet. if not then I'll grab a ROKU and see how it looks. Once they took the "red zone" like channel away from the MLB package it made the MLB one seem like a better deal. FYI, you can get the pre and post game shows if you subscribe to the Sports pack, it will just black out during the games.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts