Canceled My Service Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ciucca

Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
I'm not here to trash Directv I only want to point out an interesting conversation with the CSR.

When I called I mentioned I wanted to cancel the service, I was transferred to a CSR. She asked me why I was canceling. I mentioned I was getting FIOS hooked up, I told her it was getting hooked up tomorrow and to cancel tomorrow at midnight after FIOS was hooked up (this was actually a lie I already had it installed I wanted to see if they would try to retain me). Well she made no effort! I was surprised. While she was going through the final bill, yada yada stuff, I had to ask why she didn't offer me anything to stay. This was the interesting part. She said they make no effort to stop people from going to FIOS, since they have no success trying to make people stop, and they (D*) decided FIOS was in so few markets it was not worth giving perks to try to make people stay, since it cost the company money (free offers) and customers leave after the freebies anyway.

I did not expect this.

Maybe they also know FIOS can't provide a good product and you will come back on your own.

Do you really think so? I have been really thinking about going to Fios now that I have a new HDTV on its way. I have scheduled to have D* come out next tuesday to upgrade my system to HD. But I know a good number of people who have Fios and love it.

The only thing for me is that Fios doesn't offer SportsNet NY in HD, and thats a deal breaker for me...need my Mets in HD.

My mom and stepdad moved from D* to FiOS and haven't looked back. They have a DLP front projector on a 110" screen. Both SD and HD look awesome on their projector!

Do you really think so? I have been really thinking about going to Fios now that I have a new HDTV on its way. I have scheduled to have D* come out next tuesday to upgrade my system to HD. But I know a good number of people who have Fios and love it.

The only thing for me is that Fios doesn't offer SportsNet NY in HD, and thats a deal breaker for me...need my Mets in HD.

Does Directv have the mets in HD every game? or is it a part time channel? I have been watching a lot of TV since FIOS was installed in my house yesterday, and the SD picture looks better than D* on my HDTV. I have up converted the SD signal to 480P, you can do this with their HD DVR box.

I watched part of the Rangers Islanders game like this yesterday (480P) and switched between that and the D* feed I still had, and the FIOS picture was much better. Even watching hockey in SD on a HD set there was no artifacts that you see on D*. I then checked the picture (same game) in HD on both, and honestly I could see the pixelation on the D* feed during the quick motion that was not present on FIOS.

Does Directv have the mets in HD every game? or is it a part time channel? I have been watching a lot of TV since FIOS was installed in my house yesterday, and the SD picture looks better than D* on my HDTV. I have up converted the SD signal to 480P, you can do this with their HD DVR box.

I watched part of the Rangers Islanders game like this yesterday (480P) and switched between that and the D* feed I still had, and the FIOS picture was much better. Even watching hockey in SD on a HD set there was no artifacts that you see on D*. I then checked the picture (same game) in HD on both, and honestly I could see the pixelation on the D* feed during the quick motion that was not present on FIOS.

As far as I know, SNY is going HD 24/7 come April 1 if it hasn't already.

But, I've heard nothing but great things about FIOS. Someone said the PQ on the HD on FIOS compared to what he had on Cablevision was significantly better. I already have FIOS for internet and Phone, but without SNY, i'm not making the jump.

I have time left on a 2 year commitment when I got an R15 for the bedroom last year, so it would cost me some cash to get out of D*. But from reading around, and asking people I know with D*HD, they all seem to like it, with the exception of some posters on dbstalk. If I really hate D*HD, then whatever it costs me to get out of my deal I'll pay because I want the best possible picture out there, with the most choices.

As far as I know, SNY is going HD 24/7 come April 1 if it hasn't already.

But, I've heard nothing but great things about FIOS. Someone said the PQ on the HD on FIOS compared to what he had on Cablevision was significantly better. I already have FIOS for internet and Phone, but without SNY, i'm not making the jump.

I have time left on a 2 year commitment when I got an R15 for the bedroom last year, so it would cost me some cash to get out of D*. But from reading around, and asking people I know with D*HD, they all seem to like it, with the exception of some posters on dbstalk. If I really hate D*HD, then whatever it costs me to get out of my deal I'll pay because I want the best possible picture out there, with the most choices.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. If Yes-HD was not on FIOS I may be in the same boat as you. I assume SNY-HD is being broadcast in mpeg4. I did not upgrade to mpeg4 before switching which made my decision easier. If you are watching mpeg4 HD do you find the picture better than the mpeg2 HD?

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. If Yes-HD was not on FIOS I may be in the same boat as you. I assume SNY-HD is being broadcast in mpeg4. I did not upgrade to mpeg4 before switching which made my decision easier. If you are watching mpeg4 HD do you find the picture better than the mpeg2 HD?

I haven't been hooked up yet. TV comes on Friday, D* install comes on tuesday 4/3.

I just checked the Fios web site. For my area, Northern NJ, SNY is not listed in HD, but in the New York area, it is, maybe a phone call is warranted.

From what I've seen folks are very happy with FIOS service. Too bad where I'm at all I'll be able to get is AT&T's bastard U-Verse service. So it looks like I'll be with D* for a while until AT&T get's their head out of their a** and get's smart with running FTTP.

Just to those who may be wondering, FIOS should also have nesn hd by the middle of april....it's amazing how much they gotten accomplished for still a fairly new service.

Maybe they also know FIOS can't provide a good product and you will come back on your own.

FiOS is definitely a PQ gem - full rezz on all of its HD channels. But just like with EVERY provider there are downsides to FiOS as well.

It has been availlable in my neck of the woods for a few months now, and some of my neighbors have gotten it. Nice picture for sure.

But I inquired and they will only allow a maximum of 6 lines in. Since I have 8 receivers (2 are HD DVR's), it wouldn't work for me. Each HD set-top box is $9.99 a month. DVR is $12.99 a month. Price worked out a little higher than DirecTV. They have not mentioned if they intend to add to their HD national line-up to match what DirecTV is proposing (FiOS has 11 HD national in their offering now).

Also, their sports offering is weak. They do not offer out-of-town RSNs. No sports packages of the pro-leagues (and I sub to both types).

But if you fit their profile, it looks like a pretty good package.

FiOS is definitely a PQ gem - full rezz on all of its HD channels. But just like with EVERY provider there are downsides to FiOS as well.

It has been availlable in my neck of the woods for a few months now, and some of my neighbors have gotten it. Nice picture for sure.

But I inquired and they will only allow a maximum of 6 lines in. Since I have 8 receivers (2 are HD DVR's), it wouldn't work for me. Each HD set-top box is $9.99 a month. DVR is $12.99 a month. Price worked out a little higher than DirecTV. They have not mentioned if they intend to add to their HD national line-up to match what DirecTV is proposing (FiOS has 11 HD national in their offering now).

Also, their sports offering is weak. They do not offer out-of-town RSNs. No sports packages of the pro-leagues (and I sub to both types).

But if you fit their profile, it looks like a pretty good package.

For me, those extra sports packages D* offers is not what keeps me there. I have season tickets for the NY Jets, so I don't get Sunday Ticket. I'm a huge Mets fan, and pretty much just watch them or whatever national game is on ESPN or TBS.

The only other added benefit the D* offers me besides SNY in HD,is the promise of all those new HD channels later this year, early 2008.

I think the price for me to switch would be close to D*, because FIOS offers that multiroom DVR, so i would probably just get the one extra. But I also don't know what their prices jump to in year 2.

Another thing to consider if changing to FiOS.

FiOS also requires you to change your phone service to fiber optics - that has been an issue regarding the fact that your phone now will go dead if the electric goes off - unlike the standard copper wire service that doesn't use power from the electric company.

That wouldn't prevent me, but it has gotten a lot of publicity down here on Long Island since FiOS has been here.

Another thing to consider if changing to FiOS.

FiOS also requires you to change your phone service to fiber optics - that has been an issue regarding the fact that your phone now will go dead if the electric goes off - unlike the standard copper wire service that doesn't use power from the electric company.

That wouldn't prevent me, but it has gotten a lot of publicity down here on Long Island since FiOS has been here.

I already switched to FiOS phone and internet back in Nov/Dec. To alleviate the problem if you lose power, they install a batter backup that kicks on if there is a loss of power. They say its good to give you phone service for up to 8 hours.

To me, that was good enough, and we still have cell phones either way.

For me, those extra sports packages D* offers is not what keeps me there. I have season tickets for the NY Jets, so I don't get Sunday Ticket. I'm a huge Mets fan, and pretty much just watch them or whatever national game is on ESPN or TBS.

The only other added benefit the D* offers me besides SNY in HD,is the promise of all those new HD channels later this year, early 2008.

I think the price for me to switch would be close to D*, because FIOS offers that multiroom DVR, so i would probably just get the one extra. But I also don't know what their prices jump to in year 2.

You still need a set-top box in each remote room to utilize the multiroom DVR. You CANNOT play-back HD programs (even in SD) on remote set-top boxes. Remote set-top boxes cannot pause or rewind live TV. The monthly cost of this unit is $19.99. Very limited - but next generation product should be better. Remember, if you record a HD program in the living room - you WILL NOT be able to view it (SD OR HD) at another location.

You CANNOT use HD Set-top Boxes as part of the multi-room network (a show stopper right there).

But if this all is ok with you and its what you want, my point is they are a quality provider, but like ALL THE OTHERS have their own limitations. Those thinks I pointed out here and before would preclude me from considering taking it now.

I already switched to FiOS phone and internet back in Nov/Dec. To alleviate the problem if you lose power, they install a batter backup that kicks on if there is a loss of power. They say its good to give you phone service for up to 8 hours.

To me, that was good enough, and we still have cell phones either way.

This wouldn't have stopped me either as I mentioned.

You still need a set-top box in each remote room to utilize the multiroom DVR. You CANNOT play-back HD programs (even in SD) on remote set-top boxes. Remote set-top boxes cannot pause or rewind live TV. The monthly cost of this unit is $19.99. Very limited - but next generation product should be better. Remember, if you record a HD program in the living room - you WILL NOT be able to view it (SD OR HD) at another location.

But if this all is ok with you and its what you want, my point is they are a quality provider, but like ALL THE OTHERS have their own limitations. Those thinks I pointed out here and before would preclude me from considering taking it now.

I know about all those limitations, and the fact that I have placed my order show's I'm willing to stay with D*. To be honest, we have a DVR, 2 DTivo's and 1 R15 on all the TV's we have right now. So we're used to each having its own functionality.

The only reason I would even consider leaving D* is because I hear the PQ is THAT much better.

I know about all those limitations, and the fact that I have placed my order show's I'm willing to stay with D*. To be honest, we have a DVR, 2 DTivo's and 1 R15 on all the TV's we have right now. So we're used to each having its own functionality.

The only reason I would even consider leaving D* is because I hear the PQ is THAT much better.

Not trying to stop you - as long as you know what you are giving up so that you can get 1 HD set going. You won't be able to have more than 1 set with HD if you do it with the multi-room DVR.

Wouldn't work for me, I have 2 already, and will be getting 2 more HD monitors in the next month. FiOS can't support that set-up.

Just to those who may be wondering, FIOS should also have nesn hd by the middle of april....it's amazing how much they gotten accomplished for still a fairly new service.

Hey Q, do they have fios in your area??? they don't seem to have it available here in Columbus.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts