Canceling Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well last nite it rained and I lost my signal and I went to direct tv and still have a signal. The 24" dish did help but did not eliminate it.

Dtv

Hey, I can certainly understand people canceling Voom because they're losing the signal too often or they don't like the guide (although leaving because of this is a bit of a stretch). But to leave Voom because you think DTV is going to add more HD channels???

Look at their track record. Look at Murdoch's comments in the press about HD and how he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about (paraphrasing here). There are rumors DTV will add more HD channels. Heck, there have been rumors like this for years! Honestly, I'll be shocked (yes, SHOCKED) if DTV adds more than a channel or two in the next year. They do not actively support HDTV and have never done so. To leave because you think (rather, you hope) they'll HD more channels anytime soon is a bit crazy.

As far as the Cinema channels go. Everybody complains about the movies being old. About them repeating too much. Well, Voom is addressing the repetitive nature of the channels. Remember, they've got to license movies then convert them to HD. It takes time. And, quite honestly, I really don't care if they EVER start to get first-run movies on those channels! That's what HBO, Cinemax, Starz, TMC, etc. are for. It's actually nice to be able to watch movies which I would probably never see again since I wouldn't but the DVD. How many people watched Towering Inferno the other night for the first time in YEARS? These channels are good for that. If you want newer movies, tune to the 200s.

In short, Voom is a service which is just starting. There certainly are some issues which need to be worked out. They're all well-documented here and in other forums. The technical issues, I have no doubt, will be worked out. You'll need to be patient but it'll work out. The programming issues. Well, let's face it, there isn't a whole lot of good HD programming relative to SD programing...yet. A service like Voom will attract more HD programming. This is good for everybody.

Voom is actively pushing the envelop in the world of HD. They're not perfect but they're not as bad as many people make them out to be. Obviously, everyone has a right to choose who they want to provide them with programming. I would just caution people to leave (if that's their decision) for the right reasons. If you don't you may regret it later as I truly believe Voom is going to be a bang-up service in the very near future.

The Rickster

Cancel or don't cancel, but I'm so tired of people treating their decision like it's a momentous public event worthy of an announcement in a forum dedicated to people who are subscribing to Voom..

It's like announcing a decision to take a dump. Don't announce it - just do it and move on.

end rant.

Maybe on a more conciliatory note - Admin, can we just make a sticky thread titled "I'm leaving VOOM"? That way everybody that wants to let the world know can do so.

wnpublic said:
Cancel or don't cancel, but I'm so tired of people treating their decision like it's a momentous public event worthy of an announcement in a forum dedicated to people who are subscribing to Voom..

It's like announcing a decision to take a dump. Don't announce it - just do it and move on.

Couldn't have said it better.

Hawkeyee said:
My signal strenth is at 98% but any time it rains I usually loose my picture...my sat installer told me a lot of the problems is the Motorola receivers Voom uses are garbage.
That "expert' opinion obviously struck a chord with you. When I hear blanket criticisms of that sort, I tend to discount them considering the source. If your installer did say that, then he was being disloyal to someone who helping put food on his table. The Voom receiver is capable of being a solid performer, and in time I believe it will be. Just look at the 811 and 921 bug lists.

Because I want more than just 4 or 5 HD channels, I'm sticking with Voom for the foreseeable future. I'll work with them through the problems and shortcomings. Having had Voom for less than a week, I anticipated a few problems and I haven't bee disappointed. But I've been down this road before with E* and everything worked out just fine. What I don't understand are you chronic complainers who tend to jump providers more often than you change your shorts. If you say you want more HD channels, then, by God, show your support for someone who is trying to give you more channels.

Let's give Voom a chance. In a year, I believe we'll see a great improvement, and a steady increase in HD channels and programming, that is unless people like you keep bailing. As HD aficionados, let's give Voom our support by sticking with them for a while. If you don't do this, I don't want to hear you complaining about not having enough HD channels.

wnpublic said:

end rant.

Maybe on a more conciliatory note - Admin, can we just make a sticky thread titled "I'm leaving VOOM"? That way everybody that wants to let the world know can do so.

Very well put! It's like I say to my five year old when she tells me she's going to the bathroom. Just go.

If someone here is so short sighted that they want to cancel Voom, please do NOT tell us. Just go. Mods, could you start a thread called-

"Ten Great Reasons To Keep Voom"!

I never thought of VOOM as a sole provider for service in any house. Im biting the bullet right now and as a present to myself have VOOM as an extra in my house. I have the lowest package and I am very happy with that. Look, charges you more than ten bucks a mth for their HD pack. The only difference being is that DTV has HDNET. Alot of people will claim that HDNET is the best HD quality out there ...and I am not here to say that it isnt. Im saying that for me that all of the HD that VOOM offers ..out ways what HDNET gives you. Hell, I watch MonsterHD more than I ever watched HDNET. Voom is a good add on right now. As VOOM grows and develops more programming and adds ch's they will eventually take over as a sole provider in my house. Directv has football...but at 180 bucks I rather pay for three and a half months of VOOM.

yes i had enough of voom not a bad service when it works but just not for me ill stick with d*

Same here- I wanted VOOM but until it came with the no commitment and no upfront cost, I held out. Now I have it and I subbed to everything I could that wasn't available on DishNetwork or DirecTV. I'm very happy so far although the hardware really sucks! The operational quality of the 921 runs rings around the Motorola VOOM box and that 921 is considered to be a bug's nest of problems. Frankly, I think the way the VOOM box works is the worst in the business, but, I like the programming and the HDTV so far is not at all objectionable.
I have CinemaxHD, StarzHD and PlayboyHD with the $39.90 package. I may upgrade to the $79.90 package since that would add HBO and Showtime for about $12 more. THing is I already have those on D* and E* but I would get TMCHD which I don't have yet. I'm watching that channels offerings to see it it is worth it.

Comparing HDNet to others is not possible as HDNet / HDNet Movies is unique and no other package has that variety / diversity of programming. HDNet Movies are like Showtime's HD movie collection while HDNet itself is like a combination of TNTHD, ESPNHD and Discovery HD all in 1080i.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)