Cancelled Dish, disposed of LNBF's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Big_Ed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Athol, MA
Am I screwed?

The story: I switched to D* last week. I had no particular beef with Dish, except that I am a Red Sox fan and their station (NESN) is not available on Dish in HD -- and it wasn't looking like it was going to be added anytime soon. Meanwhile, Directv has been running some great promotions and I decided to jump on board.

I cancelled with Dish, no problem except that I had to speak to 3 people before I could do this, despite the fact that my decision was already made (and D* already installed). But anyhoo, the retention guy who finally processed my disconnect was very clear that I'd need to return my 2 leased receivers (a 622 and a 501) and the 3 remotes associated with them. We'll send you the boxes, if they aren't returned within 30 days you get billed. Gotcha.

Got the boxes today, and the instructions say to return the LNBFs and switches, too! Fine by me, except I threw 'em out last weekend. Anybody know if they going to charge me for this crap,a nd if so, how bad of a butt pounding will I be taking?

Thanks.

Am I screwed?

The story: I switched to D* last week. I had no particular beef with Dish, except that I am a Red Sox fan and their station (NESN) is not available on Dish in HD -- and it wasn't looking like it was going to be added anytime soon. Meanwhile, Directv has been running some great promotions and I decided to jump on board.

I cancelled with Dish, no problem except that I had to speak to 3 people before I could do this, despite the fact that my decision was already made (and D* already installed). But anyhoo, the retention guy who finally processed my disconnect was very clear that I'd need to return my 2 leased receivers (a 622 and a 501) and the 3 remotes associated with them. We'll send you the boxes, if they aren't returned within 30 days you get billed. Gotcha.

Got the boxes today, and the instructions say to return the LNBFs and switches, too! Fine by me, except I threw 'em out last weekend. Anybody know if they going to charge me for this crap,a nd if so, how bad of a butt pounding will I be taking?

Thanks.
hopefully you recorded that phone call or took detailed notes along with the name and operator ID of the person who spoke with. Otherwise, you'll be stuck paying for the LNB(s). Depending upon what type of dish (1000.2 or 1000 plus) the cost could get up around $100 or so...

or call them up - tell them that you would rather not risk breaking your neck to get them off the roof .. 99 times out of 100 they will tell you not to worry about it.

hopefully you recorded that phone call or took detailed notes along with the name and operator ID of the person who spoke with. Otherwise, you'll be stuck paying for the LNB(s). Depending upon what type of dish (1000.2 or 1000 plus) the cost could get up around $100 or so...

I do have the operator ID (although not name) and notes from the call. No recording.

There were 2 dishes...a Dish 500 and a Dish 300. These are so damn old I can't believe they have any value.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a legit back problem, surgery last summer, temporary handicapped pass, and the whole bit... when I got my boxes and saw the LNB notice, after not being told I needed to return those when I canceled, I immediately got on the phone and called them and told them I disabled and cannot climb on the roof. They "made an exception" in my case and noted my account that they are waiving the LNB return requirement.

You could always call and lie to them (I was telling the truth in my case). Tell them you are disabled and not going on the roof. They aren't going to risk pissing off a disabled person and getting in trouble with disability laws.

Problem solved.

...You could always call and lie to them (I was telling the truth in my case). Tell them you are disabled and not going on the roof. They aren't going to risk pissing off a disabled person and getting in trouble with disability laws.

Problem solved.

Call and lie. Now there is good sound advice! :rolleyes:
Ed, give them a call and explain the situation and they should be able to waive the charge.

There would be no need to lie. Merely state that "I did not put them where they are, I will not remove them unless you take liability for leaky roof, wall, personal injury etc". Neither D or E want that stuff back. If it stays on a house, building, whatever...they get a small billboard on every house in America. It's marketing without paying for location, location, location. nuf said?

Call and lie. Now there is good sound advice! :rolleyes:
Ed, give them a call and explain the situation and they should be able to waive the charge.

Don't start trolling me... what happened to your signature... oh wait... that was my fault too! haha.... foolish.

Since you want to troll me around the site I'll explain better. I am not saying he should lie, I am saying I told the truth about a handicapped and they waived the LNB return. He does what he has to do. He made the mistake of throwing away the LNBs.. they aren't going to accept that and let him off. I offered up another option they will accept.

So troll.... offer a real suggestion.

There would be no need to lie. Merely state that "I did not put them where they are, I will not remove them unless you take liability for leaky roof, wall, personal injury etc". Neither D or E want that stuff back. If it stays on a house, building, whatever...they get a small billboard on every house in America. It's marketing without paying for location, location, location. nuf said?

There is no leaky roof. They want their LNB back, not the whole dish. How ugly is that. They want the dish to remain on the roof without the LNB part of it. Really stupid.

There is no leaky roof. They want their LNB back, not the whole dish. How ugly is that. They want the dish to remain on the roof without the LNB part of it. Really stupid.

According to real estate laws in most states, any article attached to the home in a permanent fashion is considered real property. This same concept applies to things like chandeliers, etc. If you bought a home and saw a nice chandelier in it and when you moved in and found out the old owners took it, you would have a case on your hands to sue. The dish is a fixture of the home and must remain with it unless the owner decides otherwise. The LNB can be removed because it isn't installed to the dish in a permanent fashion, its only held in by two or three screws.

Don't start trolling me... what happened to your signature... oh wait... that was my fault too! haha.... foolish.

Since you want to troll me around the site I'll explain better. I am not saying he should lie, I am saying I told the truth about a handicapped and they waived the LNB return. He does what he has to do. He made the mistake of throwing away the LNBs.. they aren't going to accept that and let him off. I offered up another option they will accept.

So troll.... offer a real suggestion.

Wow, you're paranoid too, nice! :rolleyes:
Read my whole post, not just the part where I called you out for telling him to lie and even telling him what to say when he called.
You could always call and lie to them (I was telling the truth in my case). Tell them you are disabled and not going on the roof. They aren't going to risk pissing off a disabled person and getting in trouble with disability laws.
Though I guess you get credit for saying that you at least told Dish the truth. A case of suggesting to, do as I say not as I do, I guess???
So you think that telling him not to lie and call and explain the situation is not a "real suggestion"? Hmm.

According to real estate laws in most states, any article attached to the home in a permanent fashion is considered real property. This same concept applies to things like chandeliers, etc. If you bought a home and saw a nice chandelier in it and when you moved in and found out the old owners took it, you would have a case on your hands to sue. The dish is a fixture of the home and must remain with it unless the owner decides otherwise. The LNB can be removed because it isn't installed to the dish in a permanent fashion, its only held in by two or three screws.

Nope; NOT, if the equipment is leased or if the equipment is on the property as the the result of "easement" statutes. The landowner does not own the transformer, utility pole, drop/lateral cables or terminal access boxes attached to the outside wall of his home. In case of electrical service or cable, they don't even legally have access to the inside of meter bases and cable boxes.

Wow, you're paranoid too, nice! :rolleyes:
Read my whole post, not just the part where I called you out for telling him to lie and even telling him what to say when he called.
Though I guess you get credit for saying that you at least told Dish the truth. A case of suggesting to, do as I say not as I do, I guess???
So you think that telling him not to lie and call and explain the situation is not a "real suggestion"? Hmm.

I think calling them and explaining the real situation is an option, but they are likely to charge him for what he has done. It is a shame too because they don't really "want" them back. They don't want him to sell them to somebody else. They are likely to think he is lying anyway if he calls and tells them he prematurely threw them away. Most people don't cancel and jump up on the roof the same day and remove the whole Dish or the LNB and throw them in the trash, all before the boxes arrive. This guy did. And that was a major mistake. He can call and tell them the truth... I am anxious to hear how mad he is when he does and they charge his credit card for the LNBs. I'll be very surprised with DISH if they let him off. I agree they should. But they have him by the balls on this one.

Good luck whatever you do OP.

In MA? Tell 'em the roof is coated with ice and it would be dangerous for you to go up there to retrieve LNBs. They'll waive the LNB return.

I called today, said I couldn't get them, and they said "forgettabouta". Thanks all for your input. I will say I didn't expect this thread to become as active as it did!

My guess is people sell those old LNB's and then they don't work so they call E* to complain why your equipment are crap. So they'd rather get the old LNB's back and make sure they end up in the dump.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)