Cancelled my Directv, need advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TexansFan

Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Iowa
Hello all,
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Until yesterday, I was a 9-year DTV customer. But after reviewing my bill and lamenting about my slow, ancient equipment, I decided to call retention and negotiate for a lower bill and some newer receivers... or if necessary cancel my service. After the usual offers to reduce my bill significantly (if only for 12 mos.), and replace some of my oldest receivers, I reached a sticking point with the rep over replacing my HR34 for a HR44. He offered to send a tech to look at my HR34 and bring a HR44 just in case mine needs replacing. Since my HR34 isn't "broken", just slow, I wasn't willing to roll the dice that they *might* replace it. So I cancelled.
Now as I sit here weighing viewing my options, I'm trying to prepare for what to ask for equipment-wise if the DTV winback folks should come calling. I really prefer to have DTV, but I've made my bed and I'll lie in it, even if it's uncomfortable. So after all that backstory, here's where I can use your help:

1. Of my existing equipment, what should I keep and what should I request be replaced?:
- HR34-700 (my main receiver, runs home theater TV & bar area TV in basement via Yamaha AVR)
- HR23-700 (living room)
- HR21-200 (master bedroom)
- D12-100 (garage TV)
- D12-100 (office)
I assume I should want the SD D12's replaced, but should I keep the HR23 and HR21 instead of swapping for minis?

2. As a customer of 9 yrs in good standing, paying over $135/mo, paid on-time (direct debit), is it reasonable to expect the DTV "winback" team will call to try to get me back? Just wondering how long to wait for a call before I jump to Dish?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.

:welcome to Satelliteguys TexansFan!
It's not unusual to get a return offer after you have cancelled, but don't count on it.
I'd want at least the HR44 if not the newer HR54, but you won't get them to replace
the other dvrs for free, but they will give you clients at no additional cost, up to three
I think. Any number above that you will have to pay for, too. If the dvrs are still okay
you might as well keep them. Good luck!

Hi, TexasFan. I essentially dropped DTV a year ago for a cable bundle. But I suspended service for three months, so I could take advantage of cable's 90-day cancel-at-any-time offer. I decided to stay with them, and canceled DTV in March. Since then I've been getting comeback offers, but none of them are any better than what's available to the general public. So I'll see if anything changes in March, when I officially canceled.

If you took the Service call - The Tech would have swapped the HR34 out at your request - all you have to do is ask what he has on the truck and it's a done deal - If your happy with that a $20 thank you would not be refused.

Agree with vazhog, you should have just taken the service call. If the tech had an HR44 on the truck you could have negotiated with him, lots of people have taken this approach to getting an HR34 replaced.

Update for anyone who may be interested: After no call from the winback dept. after 5 days, I ended up talking with the D*tv sales rep at our local Costco. He convinced us we could sign up as new customers using my wife's name, as she often uses her maiden name in conjunction with her married name. Everything went thru okay, the new account was set up, and the service call for the install was scheduled. A few days later however, a customer service rep called my wife to verify our address, and then asked if I was her husband. Once she answered yes, they explained that they could not open a new account for her, and promptly transferred her to the retention dept. She gave me the phone, and after talking with a really helpful rep for about 90 minutes, I had reopened my original account. Basically ended up with new customer pricing, movie channels for 3 mos., and NFLST for next season, plus 2 new genie minis to replace my old D12's. Also, she scheduled a service call to have my HR34 looked at. The service tech was great, and offered to replace the HR34 with a new HR54 before I could even ask. I happily tipped him for making my life easy.
So, all's well that ends well I guess. Got the new equipment and discounts I was hoping for, although we took a weird path to get there. Thanks to those that replied, as it turned out I was able to use some of the advice provided.

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts