Cancelling Dish.....how long does it take?

All this said, if price is a major factor, you may still be better off switching to get the new customer deals. Or, set up an install with Direct for a week from now, call Dish and tell them you would like to cancel effective next week, and see what kind of offers you get from the executive resolution team (including an upgrade to the Hopper+Super Joey). If the numbers are close to the DTV new customer price, you can then cancel the DTV install and remain with Dish.

I GUARANTEE you there is more compression watching your locals over satellite via OTA. However, will you notice that difference?

I posted this in another thread: My eyes prefer Dish's satellite locals over the OTA channels that I also pick up. To be clear, I'm not saying they're "better" either. Well, I guess to me, they are... That's my eyes though, not someone else's.

Are you willing/ready to teach your wife a whole new system and deal with her frustration if she has problems? Or deal with her when she looses the ability to watch anything she has recorded?
My technophobe wife had no problem going from a 722 to the Hopper.

Remember that Dish Sat compression is MPEG4, which does a better job of compressing without losing quality, while OTA broadcasts are MPEG2. So even if the OTA broadcast has double the bitrate/bandwidth, the quality would be similar.

That said, in my area, I see many OTA channels have better PQ than the Sat version, while the opposite is true for others. Depends on the channel and what their compression/bandwidth settings are.

Are you willing/ready to teach your wife a whole new system and deal with her frustration if she has problems? Or deal with her when she looses the ability to watch anything she has recorded?
My technophobe wife had no problem going from a 722 to the Hopper.
I use a harmony remote so from her perspective, there won't be any difference. I'll just have to do a little programming.
My wife was information systems technical support. She loves to setup computers yet wants her remote control to be very simple. Go figure.

Remember that Dish Sat compression is MPEG4, which does a better job of compressing without losing quality, while OTA broadcasts are MPEG2. So even if the OTA broadcast has double the bitrate/bandwidth, the quality would be similar.

That said, in my area, I see many OTA channels have better PQ than the Sat version, while the opposite is true for others. Depends on the channel and what their compression/bandwidth settings are.

I though the satillite companies were either reducing bit rate(that be Directv)or changing the vertical resolution (Dish) to save bandwidth. If that's so, then shouldn't the OTA recording be a bit better than the satellite equivalent?

In general, yes. But some local channels with many subchannels bitstarve themselves so much that they look worse than the SAT counterparts.

The differences are minimal either way. You have a 722 now, correct? What do you see?

And regarding changing resolution, I've never heard of the vertical resolution being reduced, only rumors of the horizontal resolution (1440 instead of 1920) being reduced.

I though the satillite companies were either reducing bit rate(that be Directv)or changing the vertical resolution (Dish) to save bandwidth. If that's so, then shouldn't the OTA recording be a bit better than the satellite equivalent?
Doesn't mean *your* eyes will see any difference though...

I posted this in another thread: My eyes prefer Dish's satellite locals over the OTA channels that I also pick up. To be clear, I'm not saying they're "better" either. Well, I guess to me, they are... That's my eyes though, not someone else's.
Note, I didn't say OTA is "better", just that it will have less compression. ;) Whether a given viewer notices... ???

I had DISH and a 922 and a friend had DIRECT one of the original GENIES and we have the exact same television set and to be honest I could not tell the difference in the HD picture. Of course it depends on content and channel. We both agreed that DISH's SD looks miles better than DIRECT. I have since left DISH for reasons other than PQ and tuner numbers. Like you I used a TIVO for my locals.

Better yet for $2 more a month add a second Hopper
Super Joey $10. 2nd hopper is $12
Now I have 6 tuners
Add the OTA tuner to each and now I got 8 tuners
Add in prime two anytime to one of the hopper and now I got 11 tuners
A lot more than Directv or cable
-
I once had directv and dish at the same time for a week while I was switching. They both looked the same side by side for HD. Dish was better with SD
-
Check out the new Hopper software coming this summer. Sure looks like a TiVo to me. See the CES threads

Reactions: brad1138
I'm planning on switching to DirectTV and would like to know what happens when I cancel Dish?

Do they do it immediately or does it continue until the end of the billing period? Then, what do you do about the DVR (722 in my case) and the thing out in the yard?

What I'm trying to avoid is starting up Directv and paying for several weeks of service when the coax has been switched to the Directv system.
It will be cancelled right then and there and then within 24- 48 hours to go through the system after they get the equipment and then you will find out if you owe anything or get a refund and you will get boxes within about 4-5 days and you send them back with labels but you will be charged $17 per box unless you want to pay to send it back yourself but check prices and make sure if you pay for it they sign for it.I cancelled Dish and sent my equipment back and they owe me $45 and they said I should get the refund check within a week or 2 so waiting on it and it has been 5 days as of today!! :)

Canceled yesterday had to wait 10 minutes on hold, went through two people, the second person would not take no for an answer with all the deals he threw at me, but finally convinced him I wanted out. My service was shut down immediately, now waiting for the box to send the equipment back that will cost me $17, good bye Dish will miss the Hopper.

Reactions: Tampa8
Canceled yesterday had to wait 10 minutes on hold, went through two people, the second person would not take no for an answer with all the deals he threw at me, but finally convinced him I wanted out. My service was shut down immediately, now waiting for the box to send the equipment back that will cost me $17, good bye Dish will miss the Hopper.

Can't speak for Dish's PQ/service, but I really enjoyed Direct! Excellent PQ, no problems with equipment (little lag I guess sometimes), would go out in heavier rain which I've heard Dish does too, good customer service.

I'm sure you'll be happy with them. Good luck!

Is it not?
It is different. You need to figure out a way to compare for yourself. If switching is the only way, so beit.

I've seen things that looked better to me on either side in a side-by-side comparison.

In general, I find DIRECTV's picture to be too punchy (oversaturated and a rather high gamma) but some believe that is what makes for a good picture.

The one area of agreement is that DIRECTV's SD channels are not good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)