Cancelling Service and Setting up Service with Different Name

Perfect example of why Dish continues to loose customers and loose money.

Im glad that you got a new 722K out of the deal, but this just cost Dish several hundred dollars instead of taking a few minutes to change the name and SSN on the account as you origionally requested which would not have cost them anything except for a few minutes on the phone with one of their customer service representives.

I AGAIN asked dish if I could just change the name and SSN on the account but again they refused and told me I HAD to cancel and set up a new account.
How is this a problem?

Charter won't let me assume control over my dad's account without an original death certificate (presented by me, in person, to their offices) and a credit check. I've been the trustee of my father's estate for almost 14 years.

Perfect example of why Dish continues to loose customers and loose money.

Im glad that you got a new 722K out of the deal, but this just cost Dish several hundred dollars instead of taking a few minutes to change the name and SSN on the account as you origionally requested which would not have cost them anything except for a few minutes on the phone with one of their customer service representives.

But Dish has shut down how many retailers over the last six months (30 something or more if I remember correctly) and one of the reasons was because of this issue. Closing a customers account and signing them up under someone elses name...

But Dish has shut down how many retailers over the last six months (30 something or more if I remember correctly) and one of the reasons was because of this issue. Closing a customers account and signing them up under someone elses name...

Which is exactly why I didn't go through Dishstore.net.

You got it. Makes you scratch your head a little huh. :rolleyes:

There are definitely two sets of rules out there. One for the retailers and one for Dish.

a guy I work with talked about flip flopping his wife and himself with DISH to get new equipment and the new deals. He said since they had two credit cards, diff ssn, and diff names that it worked.

Is this sort of thing really true??? I'm just as mad as any guy when people you refer get sweet deals and not yourself, but this just seems like way to easy of a loophole with the husband/wife combo.

????

pfan

a guy I work with talked about flip flopping his wife and himself with DISH to get new equipment and the new deals. He said since they had two credit cards, diff ssn, and diff names that it worked.

Is this sort of thing really true??? I'm just as mad as any guy when people you refer get sweet deals and not yourself, but this just seems like way to easy of a loophole with the husband/wife combo.

????

pfan

Yes and No. If his account is still active when they call to change it to the wife it will not work.
Now if he goes through a local retailer, gives his wifes info, and it goes through the retailer will be flagged for fraud since there was an active account at that location. The retailer will then be charged back everything he made and could be terminated for fraud even though he had no idea that there was another account under the husbands name.

With the economy the way it is today, all I ask is that anyone who is thinking about "tricking the system" just to get all the new freebies consider the consequences first. You could be contributing to the unemployment, home foreclosure, etc........, problems out there by putting a local business out of business.

Is it really worth it?

Just curious, I am bundled with my phone and am getting a sweet deal of top 250, hd, 622, 612, cinemax for .01, digital landline for $55/mo after taxes. Just wanted some ammo to share with the dude I work with. So could you actually get charged for this? What about if you cancelled for a while? Your wife has a different ssn, credit card, etc, so how does she not qualify as a new sub?

pfan

Just curious, I am bundled with my phone and am getting a sweet deal of top 250, hd, 622, 612, cinemax for .01, digital landline for $55/mo after taxes. Just wanted some ammo to share with the dude I work with. So could you actually get charged for this? What about if you canceled for a while? Your wife has a different ssn, credit card, etc, so how does she not qualify as a new sub?

pfan

If it is at the same address it's not a new sub.
Old sub disconnects + new sub signs up = zero net new subscriber and higher acquisition cost for subscriber.

The husbands account would have to be disconnected for at least 6 months and then he would be considered a "Former" customer. Formers have a little different promotion that is not quite as sweet as a new customer. Why? Because Dish has all ready spent a lot of money on that customer and if the customer has only had service for less than 3 years then Dish lost money on that customer.

What you are asking to do with changing the account to the wifes info is call flipping. This is what retailers have been getting terminated for.
The right thing to do is;
1- If he just wants new hardware then do a DIU.
2- If he wants to try and save money on his bill then try to negotiate with customer service. There are plenty of threads up here that talk about this.

I believe that example #2 is just wrong in my opinion. All this does is add expense to the bottom line, and in the long run, costs everyone more.
Trust me when I say that the day of getting everything for free over and over again is coming to an end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts