Cannot get White Springs on new system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bruin95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Sin City
I was helping a friend install a motorized system this past weekend. This is like the fifth install I've done over the past year and a half, so I have pretty good experience in setting these up. Each install has had their various issues to deal with to get the system up and running smoothly, but this one is very strange. I cannot get a signal on White Springs. I know I'm on the satellite as two other transponders have quality, and the receiver (Sonicview 8000) indentifies the satellite. We're using an Invacom lnb (both linear and circular) and it locks on and indentifies Echo 5 with excellent quality, so we know that were pointed at Galaxy 27 also. The two TP's that show quality on G27 are 11780 and 11800. The quality readings are in the 60's. Of course, I had to enter the frequency info for WS manually and get zero quality. I have checked the settings over and over to make sure they are correct. 11964 H 2920 SR FEC 1/2. I used the step feature to move a little in each direction and don't even get a blip. What's really strange is that, after doing this and having no luck, I entered the PID info to see if that would help. The signal level on the TP dropped from around 65 to 40. All of the other TP's remained at 65. I rebooted the receiver, but nothing changed. Everything else on the system is fine. I've got everything from 72 to 129 with no probelms, except for WS. I'm at a total loss. I don't know what else to try. I can't understand why I'm getting nothing in terms of quality on WS. Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm at a total loss.

White springs is linear, if you do not have the LNB skew correct you will not receive it even if accurately on the sat. Here is a calculator for generating the skew angle for any location.
SatLex Digital :: Technology :: Calculators :: AZ/EL Calculator

The motor takes care of the skew and the lnb used in the system receives both linear and circular signals. Like I said in my post, I'm experienced at setting up a motorized FTA system and have never had any problems with getting WS in the past. That's why I cannot understand why I'm not getting it on this system, when everything else works fine.

The two TP's that show quality on G27 are 11780 and 11800.
Those Data TPs are pretty strong for me Q80, and White Springs is Q70.
Also, for my Diamond 9000 to Lock it, I had to drop the Freq 2pts to 11962, this receiver usually Locks with Lyngsats numbers.

Did you do the Push / Pull on the Dish when parked on G27?
Double checked the Setup Menu for proper LNB & Switch settings?
How's the weather?

As Lak7 said, it sometimes helps to play around with the frequency numbers. I've seen +/- 3 mhz off on my Visionsat, and it too is stubborn about WSTV.

The motor takes care of the skew and the lnb used in the system receives both linear and circular signals. Like I said in my post, I'm experienced at setting up a motorized FTA system and have never had any problems with getting WS in the past. That's why I cannot understand why I'm not getting it on this system, when everything else works fine.

That's the theory providing the motor arc is correct and I'll wager it is not especially at the arc extremes. When the dish is on the sat, just check it manually agrre with that site for your location. When I put did the same it was over 10 degrees outshown on my Satlook NIT

As Lak7 said, it sometimes helps to play around with the frequency numbers. I've seen +/- 3 mhz off on my Visionsat, and it too is stubborn about WSTV.

I called my friend and had him change the frequency. He tried several and it didn't work. I'm going to take my receiver over there this weekend and see if I can pick it up on that. If it still doesn't work with my receiver hooked up, I'll try playing with dish. Honestly, my friend actually doesn't really care if he gets WS or not, but it's really driving me crazy that it's the only thing his system is not getting. I'm not going to stop until I solve this problem. :yes

Many receivers won't blind scan it due to the low symbol rate. I've never had trouble getting instant quality once I manually input the TP frequency and SR, though...

Bruin. Humour me, a frequency of 1/2 mhz either way does not make a significant difference in Ku. Skew can take signal and quality totally out if wrong by as little as 5degrees on weak signals, just rotate the LNB a little about 3 degrees at a time either way. Galaxy 27 Tp14 is a lower powered than the Star band Tps. check my profile
Good luck

Well, I went back to my friend's house with my receiver and guess what, I got WS on it with no problem. So the problem is in his receiver. For whatever reason, it just won't scan it in. The interesting thing is, we both have the same receiver, a Sonicview 8000HD. With my receiver hooked up, Quality reading is 65. With his, nothing. The settings are EXACTLY the same in both receivers. I guess this is one mystery that will go unsolved.

His firmware may be different to yours and not scan WS's low symbol rate (02920). Have you put the figures in by hand and done a single tp scan?

Same firmware and yes, I did enter the TP info manually. I also tried to scan it in, but the SV 8000HD's blind scan is horrible. I usually need to enter the TP info manually to get any feeds at all. Bottom line is, my box works for this channel, his doesn't.

Don't you just hate these little problems. Have you tried deleting the frequency completely, then add new transponder . it does not matter what number your receiver then calls it but input the WS data again ( I always put in a 5 figure SR by adding initizl zero as some receiver software default to 22K or 27.5k if only a 4 figure SR is used) and scan just that transponder. Blind scan is a waste of time.

Don't you just hate these little problems. Have you tried deleting the frequency completely, then add new transponder . it does not matter what number your receiver then calls it but input the WS data again ( I always put in a 5 figure SR by adding initizl zero as some receiver software default to 22K or 27.5k if only a 4 figure SR is used) and scan just that transponder. Blind scan is a waste of time.

WS's TP wasn't even in the list of TP's on the SV8000. I had to add it manually. I did play with the settings a little, but could never get any quality to come in. The data TP's on G27 have quality in the 70's and 80's. I remember when I got my receiver. I just added the TP, got good quality, scanned it, and had the channel. But he's a happy camper. He's getting his sports feeds on H2 and others, some in HD, and he's just fine with that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)