Cannot Reach KASA-DT in ABQ NM Area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RioRanchoTJG

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 17, 2021
Rio Rancho, NM
I'm trying to reach KASA-DT (Digital 27, -1 to -5) (KASA-DT on RabbitEars) from Rio Rancho, NM. I have an amplified indoor antenna which has direct line of site to the transmitters on Sandia Crest, 10.3 miles away. I used it on all tests.
My Tivo can find KASA-DT and run programs fine.
The tuner on my 6 year old Samsung finds all channels the Tivo does except KASA-DT.
Same story with my new Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD. I set it up in Plex server, and in the WinTV10 app from Hauppauge on a separate PC.
The Hauppauge finds everything except KASA-DT when scanning in either app.
I've opened a ticket with Hauppauge since all signs point to the tuners, but I'll bet my NM neigbors know what this is.
Ideas? Suggestions?

I'm in Albuquerque. I have no problem receiving KASA on an old Sharp 720P, a Samsung 1080P and a Silicondust HDHomeRun networked receiver. My antenna is outside though. I've had too much trouble with indoor antennas even though I too have line of sight with the transmitter site. My antenna is a Winegard HD7694 which is overkill. But I knew I'd be using a three way splitter. Splitters attenuate the signal 7db or so depending on what you have. I wanted a completely passive setup with no booster amplifier(s) or anything. That's why I went with an antenna that was larger than necessary to overcome losses in my feed lines.

Is your antenna in a window, in the attic etc.? What brand? I know that I had issues when the U.S. switched to digital 12 or so years ago. Digital signals are less forgiving than analog was. What's strange is that KASA has a really strong signal and is coming from the same direction that the other channels you have no problems receiving. :imconfused

I'm trying to reach KASA-DT (Digital 27, -1 to -5) (KASA-DT on RabbitEars) from Rio Rancho, NM. I have an amplified indoor antenna which has direct line of site to the transmitters on Sandia Crest, 10.3 miles away. I used it on all tests.
The tuner on my 6 year old Samsung finds all channels the Tivo does except KASA-DT.
Same story with my new Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD. I set it up in Plex server, and in the WinTV10 app from Hauppauge on a separate PC.
I've opened a ticket with Hauppauge since all signs point to the tuners, but I'll bet my NM neigbors know what this is.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Temporarily hook the tv set up to the antenna coax removed from the back of the Tivo, and scan again. See if it now finds that station. If so, your antenna doesn't have enough signal level down the line at the other devices.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm in Albuquerque. I have no problem receiving KASA on an old Sharp 720P, a Samsung 1080P and a Silicondust HDHomeRun networked receiver. My antenna is outside though. I've had too much trouble with indoor antennas even though I too have line of sight with the transmitter site. My antenna is a Winegard HD7694 which is overkill. But I knew I'd be using a three way splitter. Splitters attenuate the signal 7db or so depending on what you have. I wanted a completely passive setup with no booster amplifier(s) or anything. That's why I went with an antenna that was larger than necessary to overcome losses in my feed lines.

Is your antenna in a window, in the attic etc.? What brand? I know that I had issues when the U.S. switched to digital 12 or so years ago. Digital signals are less forgiving than analog was. What's strange is that KASA has a really strong signal and is coming from the same direction that the other channels you have no problems receiving. :imconfused

The antenna is a Mohu Leaf 50 (Mohu® Leaf® 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna). It's inside the house on glass facing Sandia Crest. I agree about KASA - strong signal and right there in the farm with other stations I *can* reach.
And I'm not using a splitter. I'm trying to eliminate variables.
Side note: Another Samsung TV with a non-amp antenna cannot get 27, but my wife's hand-held 10 year old TV with a single antenna can get it - barely.
Thanks for the reply.

Temporarily hook the tv set up to the antenna coax removed from the back of the Tivo, and scan again. See if it now finds that station. If so, your antenna doesn't have enough signal level down the line at the other devices.
Thanks, Mike. All the tests were done with the same indoor antenna in the same location, so it's likely the tuners. I'm hoping that Hauppauge can shed some light on this.

Thanks, Mike. All the tests were done with the same indoor antenna in the same location, so it's likely the tuners. I'm hoping that Hauppauge can shed some light on this.
Have you considered contacting that stations engineer, and report your issue? IF they've heard it before, they may have a fix of some sort to their transport stream. Though, I've had transport stream issues cause my Tivo to not scan in stations, it's never happened to my tv set.

But, it couldn't hurt to try them anyway. I've Googled the info and contacted via email some of my local station engineers, and they've been prompt in getting issues fixed for me.

P.S. One other thing, have you scanned your tv set with NO antenna hooked up at all, to clear the matrix? After that, hook the antenna back up, and scan again.

Have you considered trying the antenna without the amplifier? If you're only 10 miles away from the transmitter and have line of sight, perhaps the amplifier is over -driving the signal. At 10 miles from the tower, a very cheap set of rabbit ears ought to be able to pick up those stations I would think.

I'm no expert on the subject but it could be a multipath issue. Only the Hauppauge is struggling with decoding the signal. There is a discussion from a while back. There may be some nuggets of info in there to guide you.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Have you considered contacting that stations engineer, and report your issue? IF they've heard it before, they may have a fix of some sort to their transport stream. Though, I've had transport stream issues cause my Tivo to not scan in stations, it's never happened to my tv set.

But, it couldn't hurt to try them anyway. I've Googled the info and contacted via email some of my local station engineers, and they've been prompt in getting issues fixed for me.

P.S. One other thing, have you scanned your tv set with NO antenna hooked up at all, to clear the matrix? After that, hook the antenna back up, and scan again.
No attempts to call the station yet. I'm hoping it's a setting or something easy. I like the idea of clearing the listings out before rescanning. I'll try it. Thanks.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Follow up:
Hauppauge recommended a utility Capture4Me, which located KASA-DT2 to KASA-DT5 as 15-1, 15-2, 29 and 33. And at low resolution.
And yet the Tivo finds them right where they are supposed to be at 27-x.
I look like my picture now.

• Haha
Reactions: Howard Simmons

Ideas? Suggestions?
1vxKTVh-lnc5g9Sb-UZMQgDIM800x600.jpeg
Patients Come First
To preserve community loyalty, hospital leaders must go beyond care access & convenience to build quality virtual care.​
Follow up:
Hauppauge recommended a utility Capture4Me, which located KASA-DT2 to KASA-DT5 as 15-1, 15-2, 29 and 33. And at low resolution.
And yet the Tivo finds them right where they are supposed to be at 27-x.
I look like my picture now.
I once had a problem similar to this. Tried many things and in the end a 2 foot vertical move of my antenna fixed it. RF black hole ?
So I suggest you try a slight move of your antenna.

I don't see a rabbitears.info report from you. Here is a report from your area:
RabbitEars.Info

Your signals are very strong. Could be overload and multipath.

I suggest you try the antenna without the amp.

Reactions: TRG
From what I remembered they are running at 370 KW ~ ERP, from KASA-DT, which is the most powerful TX on Sandia Crest Mountain antenna farm.

2nd place is KNAT-DT, which runs at 340 KW last time I checked from the FCC's database. :hatsoff

Oh, one other thing that is KASA-DT being sold from Ramar to NBC Universal Telemundeo subject to FCC'S approval.

So you might want to change your contact to NBC Universal Telemundeo instead of Ramar broadcasting company. :hatsoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts