GEOSATpro Cannot receive" MPEG-2" Or "MPEG-4" Only" DVB-S" TPs And Channels

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
I don't know if this question has been asked.

After doing a factory reset and rescanning the satellites I noticed that something was missing, aftetr taking a deep look at Lyngsat, I noticed that all of the FTA TPS for the K/u bands and C bands channels that the microHD had found and downloaded were all designated consistanly as DVB -S, not a single FTA TP and channel designated as MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 was downloaded.

Have been using the same hardware as before, as far as I can tell the only different things in the equation are the new software, and new channel list offered a while back.:confused:

Any logic on this problem is welcomed.

Thank You.

What is missing? Has the scan only logged QPSK channels?

Services cannot be simply given a MPEG2 or MPEG4 designation.

Channels have been identified as QPSK, h.264, H8PSK, 8PSK, 16PSK along with the source resolution.

The Micro has never shown if its MPEG4 or MPEG2

If you're KU there are only a few MPEG4 DVB stations....Punch TV (95w) and Cubana DeTelevision (97W) are MPEG4

The Micro has never shown if its MPEG4 or MPEG2

If you're KU there are only a few MPEG4 DVB stations....Punch TV (95w) and Cubana DeTelevision (97W) are MPEG4

Thanks, Brian and Iceberg.

Brian, I do not know if QPSK channels are equal to DVB-S or DVB-S2, then the answer to your question is a defenite YES.

How come when scanning after the factory reset, am I not seeing and receiving the TPs that shows at Lyngsat as (MPEG-2 and MPEG-4) 8PSK, such as at 87W SES 2 C band TP 3736 V 14400 8PSK, and many, many more with the same designations.

The K/u band dish is indicating a quality reading of 70% and above on the majority of the channels, and on the C band the quality readings are for most channels in the upper 60%.

As Brian asked, I am not seeing any channels with a designation of QPSK.

avenger.

Brian, I do not know if QPSK channels are equal to DVB-S or DVB-S2, then the answer to your question is a defenite YES.
Its not equal. It can be MPEG4 DVB-S2 8PSK, MPEG4 DVB-S, MPEG4 DVB-S2 QPSK
But pretty much all SD is QPSK

see attached pics
1st pic is DVB-S QPSK (test card on 91W KU) MPEG2
2nd pic is DVB-S2 8PSK (LPB HD)
3rd pic is DVB-S QPSK (Cubana DeTV) but MPEG4...it doesnt say that but on my Coolsat 5000 it shows up under radio
4th pic is DVB-S2 QPSK

Attachments

• PICT0062.JPG
    PICT0062.JPG
    850.9 KB · Views: 285
  • PICT0063.JPG
    PICT0063.JPG
    835.2 KB · Views: 264
  • PICT0064.JPG
    PICT0064.JPG
    834.3 KB · Views: 272
  • PICT0065.JPG
    PICT0065.JPG
    759.7 KB · Views: 257
What is missing? Has the scan only logged QPSK channels?

Services cannot be simply given a MPEG2 or MPEG4 designation.

Channels have been identified as QPSK, h.264, H8PSK, 8PSK, 16PSK along with the source resolution.

Thanks Iceberg for the pictures, did noticed earlier as mentioned that channels were missing.

Brian, I have just spent half an hour and verified that all the scan only logged QPSK channels of many values as 480i, 1080i etc, and nothing else.

Using the same method of scanning as before, but missing a whole lot more channels...Do you think that the LNBF are getting faulty/failing and causing this problem, or do you believe that something else my be the cause.

I am having fun playing and working with the microHD, and as I use it more, I am finding things that I do not understand about this hobby, and questions pop up.

What do I need to do to gain access to the other FTA channels that are not just of the QPSK type?.

avenger.

Are you receiving channels that Iceberg listed such as the Lousiana HD?

Try performing a factory reset and rescan?

Maybe list a few of the Lyngsat channels that are not being received.

Are you receiving channels that Iceberg listed such as the Lousiana HD?

Try performing a factory reset and rescan?

Maybe list a few of the Lyngsat channels that are not being received.

Today was a very busy day for me and the wife just got back from running errands.

Yes Brian, I am receiving the channels that Iceberg mentioned (Punch @ 75W and Cubana de Television @ 97W), and have verified the three Louisina PBS to be good.

Did a factory reset two days ago, that is when I noticed that I was missing channels.......Well I guess that another factory reset is needed...Has anyone reported having this problem with the new satellite list that was offered about a month ago.

If I am receiving the channels that you and Iceberg pointed out, that that means that there are TPs and channels showned at Lyngsat that I will not be able to receive with the microHD, untill a factory reset is done?....Could you please send me a copy of the original satellite list that came with the microHD.:)

Thank You.

avenger

Last edited:
I am receiving the channels that Iceberg mentioned (Punch @ 75W and Cubana de Television @ 97W), and have verified the three Louisina PBS to be good.
Those channels are a few examples of MPEG4, and h.264 channels. When you press the Info key twice, what modulations and resolutions are displayed?

Did a factory reset two days ago, that is when I noticed that I was missing channels.......Well I guess that another factory reset is needed...Has anyone reported having this problem with the new satellite list that was offered about a month ago.
No problems have been reported with receiving the available modulations and resolutions. What channels are you missing? Maybe we can help troubleshoot.

If I am receiving the channels that you and Iceberg pointed out, that that means that there are TPs and channels showned at Lyngsat that I will not be able to receive with the microHD, untill a factory reset is done?....
If you are receiving the channels that Iceberg pointed out, the receiver is displaying channels that are beyond the standard MPEG2 channels. It would be helpful if we knew examples of channels that you expect to be receiving, but are not logging in.

Could you please send me a copy of the original satellite list that came with the microHD.
Don't have a .ddf default datadase copy. Why do you want to install an old .ddf with incorrect satellites and outdated transponder lists? This has nothing to do with what modulations and resolutions that the receiver is logging.

Thanks Brian,

Tomorrow I will supply a list of satellite channels and some TPs that I was able to receive prior to the factory reset.

For me today has been a very long tiresome day.

Thanks.

Brian,
After seen how many TPs and channels are missing, I decided that it be best to do as you suggested and that is to re-factory reset the microHD and start all over again from scratch.

Will use the same software as before, and will report if anything different happens this time... Will get back to you and Iceberg later on today or early tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help and patience with me.

Spent the better part of yesterday and some of today, threre was a slight improvement on the amount of channels received.

Not all here as before, but I am still working on it. Still having problems mostly with some of the "C" band channels.

Still cannot scan nor view "MPEG-4 DVB-S2 8PSK H-264 video"

A while back I posted a thread asking for some help of how to receive this type of signal while using the microHD, at that time I was not too clear in explaining what I was looking for.:confused:

Well now I know for certain that I can not scan nor receive this specific type of signal with the microHD. What is needed for me to do with the moicroHD, LNBF, or anything else needed for me to scan, receive, download, and view MPGE-4 DVB-S2 8PSK H-264 video.:(

Alot of C band programming shown is usually of this type, and I am missing the boat. The microHD is an excellent receiver but I must be doing something wrong somewhere, and I humbly need someone to help me and set me straight.:eek:

Thanks for any help.

nothing extra is needed. I receive those channels (MPEG4 DVB-S2 8PSK) just fine

In your previous thread I showed examples

nothing extra is needed. I receive those channels (MPEG4 DVB-S2 8PSK) just fine

In your previous thread I showed examples

Yes, I am receiving and viewing very few of those channels and TPs. This is about 10% or less of what I should be receiving overall.

Is there anything such as specific settings that is needed to be done to the receiver or maybe I am using the the wrong LNBf, or the dish is not up to par, there must be something in the mix that is not working for me as it should.

Lyngsat is not helping much, so I went to (global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html), and according to this website, which shows all of the (MPEG-4 DVB-S2 8PKS H-264 video) highlighted in red, I am only receceiving as mentioned earlier Less than 10% of these channels. The quality of the scanned channels are of anywhere from the middle 60% to as high as 75%, cannot get any higher readings.

I am sure that not everybody is capturing 100% of these channels, but I am sure that they are viewing alot more than what I am receiving.

Also even when checking and scanning individual TPs, the majority these TPs don't scan at all, as if the TP frequency is wrong for the channels.

Any comments, ideas or advice is very welcomed.

Thank You
avenger.

You need a LOT more signal for those sorts of signals, and your dish system needs to be tuned right up to snuff to get that if it's a smaller one.

You can't have too many compromises in your system as a whole for these signals, unless you have such a huge dish, you have signal and quality levels to throw away.

Get your system tuned up and peaked perfectly, perhaps install a new lnb, replace older cable, switches, and eliminate couplings, etc and you should be good to go. Unless you just need a larger dish. You need to check EIRP levels at your location for the partcular sat, AND match your dish size with that. If it says you MUST have a 10ft dish for instance, then you MUST have a 10 ft dish. There is nothing special needed other then this, as Ice has said.

Not all locations are going to be capable of recieving all signals from a particular sat. The beam's are aimed, and you could be out of footprint for it.

can you give an example of 2 or 3 channels you are not getting? maybe your dish is off.

tdti1,

If you please look at "http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html", starting with 87W SES-2 none of the channels that have a RED
MPEG-4.......H-264 video name next to them, and if they just happen to show up on the scan, they are not viewable.

All the ones from 91W Galaxy17 are good.

None from 95W Galaxy 3-C

97W Galaxy19, none of the RED designated.

99W Galaxy16, I receive all the LESEA BROADCASTING, Puerto Rico network, KCWY-TV13, and not much more.

101W SES-1 none of the RED designated channels, only get ME TVs, no THIS TV.

105W AMC18, none of the RED designated channels.

The rest of the satellite channels are a hit and miss situation, there is no consistency on the receiving of the overall channel.

avenger.