Cannot upgrade to new firmware

bruin95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Sin City
I am having problems trying to update to the latest firmware on my Azbox Premium HD. I have tried both via Internet method and USB with no luck. Via Internet, the file will download to around 50%, and then stop, giving me a "failed to update" message. Via USB, the box sees the file and I can select it. I get the "upgrading" message on the screen. After a few minutes, I get failed to update again. I tried rebooting with the USB stick in the machine, but it always reboots back to the settings screen. I never get that special upgrade screen. One strange thing that has happened, since I rebooted, is now my firmware version says 0.9.5020 Azbox Elite HD instead of Premium HD like it should. How do I get it to say Premium again? I have even tried to load older firmware to the box with the same results. Downloads go to about 50% and stop and the USB method fails to update. I have never had any problems up until now with updating firmware. What could be the problem?

I am having problems trying to update to the latest firmware on my Azbox Premium HD. I have tried both via Internet method and USB with no luck. Via Internet, the file will download to around 50%, and then stop, giving me a "failed to update" message. Via USB, the box sees the file and I can select it. I get the "upgrading" message on the screen. After a few minutes, I get failed to update again. I tried rebooting with the USB stick in the machine, but it always reboots back to the settings screen. I never get that special upgrade screen. One strange thing that has happened, since I rebooted, is now my firmware version says 0.9.5020 Azbox Elite HD instead of Premium HD like it should. How do I get it to say Premium again? I have even tried to load older firmware to the box with the same results. Downloads go to about 50% and stop and the USB method fails to update. I have never had any problems up until now with updating firmware. What could be the problem?

Bruin95,

You might have a lot of territory to cover to find the answer on this one. Start off with the simple and easy things first and chip away at all the most logical and possible problems first.

First of all, using the USB stick to upgrade/update your firmware is the best and most safe method, so that is a good step in the right direction.
However, your USB flash drive - is it formatted with the FAT32 system? This is a must. If you suspect this to be a problem, try reformatting it again (save all the files to a backup if you have any on there that you really must have because you will lose them, obviously).

Secondly, do you have any other drives connected to your AZBox? An internal HDD, an external USB drive? Power down and disconnect these before you try to install the update.

Third, are all your attached drives (HDD's or other) formatted in FAT32 or formatted by the AZBox to ext2 or ext3 (linux)? If they are NTFS formatted, don't use them with the AZBox. They just don't like to play nicely together.

Fourth, when you are attempting to upgrade/update your AZBox firmware, which avenue are you using? In my sticky for doing this, I mention inserting the USB flash drive in the AZBox and rebooting. If the firmware file on the USB is properly "renamed" then the AZBox will detect this file during the reboot process and prompt you to install it. However, there is another method available to you in the MENU options. Press HOME > SETTINGS > SYSTEM INFORMATION > FIRMWARE UPGRADE > select USB and press OK and then proceed.

You might have to try this both ways to investigate and troubleshoot this problem.

Fifth, where did you download your firmware from? It might be best to try another source or maybe just try to download the same file over again. You might have inadvertently corrupted part of the file. This is rare, but it can happen.

Sixth, this is the bad one. I don't like to download the files (firmware) via internet directly to the AZBox. My internet connection is via satellite and it is slow. Since it takes longer than someone with a DSL connection, there is plenty of time for something to go wrong. A power dip or outage during the process would be really bad news. So, I like to get the file/s downloaded via my PC first, then (with my AZBox on a UPS) I can allow the box to upload without any fear of power interruption. If at anytime you suspect that this has occurred during your update process, you might have to perform a FORMAT APPLICATION AREA. Which basically means starting from scratch and reformatting the DOM/FDM. The DOM or FDM is just a SOLID STATE hard drive in the AZBox.

DOM = Disk On Module FDM = Flash Disk Module. They are basically just a hard drive, but they do not have the rotating disk or any moving parts. They are intended for industrial use most often. Places that could subject the unit to being dropped, banged and kicked around.

You understand what it is and why it is critical not to interrupt the process of updating? It is akin to the HDD of your computer. If you are in the process of updating and you lose power, even a glitch, you may have corrupted the DOM files. This would mean starting over from bare scratch.

I don't think that this happened to you. I think or I believe that you would detect much worse problems than what you are experiencing. But, I wouldn't rule it out completely. Try all other avenues first, use this avenue as a last resort.

I hope that my experience can help you in your situation. I purposely try to induce problems with my own equipment so that I can discover how to repair them, but sometimes I just don't know how to do everything and somethings are best left untested. I have compiled some good information, though. Please take advantage of it the best you can.

Do so at your own risk, of course.

Sorry, always gotta put that little disclaimer in there at the end.

RADAR

Bruin95,

First of all, using the USB stick to upgrade/update your firmware is the best and most safe method, so that is a good step in the right direction.
However, your USB flash drive - is it formatted with the FAT32 system? This is a must. If you suspect this to be a problem, try reformatting it again (save all the files to a backup if you have any on there that you really must have because you will lose them, obviously).

The USB stick is formatted to FAT32.

Secondly, do you have any other drives connected to your AZBox? An internal HDD, an external USB drive? Power down and disconnect these before you try to install the update.

No other drives are connected to the box.

Fourth, when you are attempting to upgrade/update your AZBox firmware, which avenue are you using? In my sticky for doing this, I mention inserting the USB flash drive in the AZBox and rebooting. If the firmware file on the USB is properly "renamed" then the AZBox will detect this file during the reboot process and prompt you to install it. However, there is another method available to you in the MENU options. Press HOME > SETTINGS > SYSTEM INFORMATION > FIRMWARE UPGRADE > select USB and press OK and then proceed.

I tried both methods. Remember, I have done this before with zero problems. Now, all of a sudden, I can't get it to update. I can't even go back to older firmware. All updates now fail.

When you say "rename" the file, what should I rename it to? I've never had to do this in the past and, as I stated, the box does recognize the file and I get the "upgrading" message on the screen. It fails after a few minutes. The file I downloaded is named "azbox-0.9.5209-patch.bin". Every file I have download, in the past, has been in this format and I have had no problems updating. I have no idea why in the internet method is not working.

Fifth, where did you download your firmware from? It might be best to try another source or maybe just try to download the same file over again. You might have inadvertently corrupted part of the file. This is rare, but it can happen.

fw.azupd.com

As far as the internet method, it's the one I prefer, because my connection speed is super fast. All I have to do is click a few buttons on my remote and it downloads and installs quickly. That is until now. I'm wondering if there is some issue with the website.

fw.azupd.com

As far as the internet method, it's the one I prefer, because my connection speed is super fast. All I have to do is click a few buttons on my remote and it downloads and installs quickly. That is until now. I'm wondering if there is some issue with the website.

Try fw.azupd.nl, the files are available on-site (not from multiupload.com where fw.azupd.com directs you to).

Re-name the firmware to "patch.bin" (and make sure there are no other files on the USB stick).

Try fw.azupd.nl, the files are available on-site (not from multiupload.com where fw.azupd.com directs you to).

Re-name the firmware to "patch.bin" (and make sure there are no other files on the USB stick).

I did not need to re-name the files from that web site.
Radar and I talked about this the other day and it appears that some of our computers for whatever reasons may or may not require you to re-name the file. For me they were automatically downloaded with the file extension -patch.bin
Radar told me that he had a different outcome and the files on his computer needed to be re-named.
So if you are one of the unlucky ones, then you may need to re-name the file.
I had heard many others saying they did not have to re-name this file as well.

I did not need to re-name the files from that web site.
Radar and I talked about this the other day and it appears that some of our computers for whatever reasons may or may not require you to re-name the file. For me they were automatically downloaded with the file extension -patch.bin
Radar told me that he had a different outcome and the files on his computer needed to be re-named.
So if you are one of the unlucky ones, then you may need to re-name the file.
I had heard many others saying they did not have to re-name this file as well.

Thanks for the information, when I updated to 5209 (and then went back to 5020) I re-named them, didn't try them as is. Next time I will try them as is. In bruin95's case it might be better for him to try them both ways, considering the trouble he is having.

The problem with renaming the file has nothing to do with the operation of the file. That has to be made clear. The name of the file or renaming it is only for the purpose of the LINUX OS system to be able to indentify it (to find it). It will load the file and execute it just fine, as long as it can find it. That is the crux. Sometimes (depending upon which avenue you use or how your PC settings are set) renaming the file makes a difference, Don't get too excited over this issue. If you rename your file incorrectly, it won't screw up anything. It will simply be IGNORED. So, you are always safe here.

How you might need to rename the file: "patch" or "patch.bin" as opposed to "azbox-0.9.5020-patch" .

If you use the menu tree to upload/upgrade the firmware from a USB flash memory stick, you don't need to rename the file at all from its download source.
If you reboot the receiver with that memory stick installed, the AZBox will only find the firmware file if it is renamed as "patch" or "patch.bin"
The difference between "patch" and "patch.bin" has to do with your computer settings.

There is a setting on your PC that will assign the appropriate file extension to a known file type automatically.
If this option is setup (enabled) and you add the ".bin" extension yourself, the computer also adds this extension. Now the file is listed as "patch.bin.bin"
The AZBox will not identify the file now, it will just ignore it. It won't cause you any trouble (corruption), but it simply wil not work. The file won't be identified by the LINUX OS.

YOU must be aware of these rules. They won't hurt you, but they can confuse you.

The USB stick is formatted to FAT32.

No other drives are connected to the box.

I tried both methods. Remember, I have done this before with zero problems. Now, all of a sudden, I can't get it to update. I can't even go back to older firmware. All updates now fail.

When you say "rename" the file, what should I rename it to? I've never had to do this in the past and, as I stated, the box does recognize the file and I get the "upgrading" message on the screen. It fails after a few minutes. The file I downloaded is named "azbox-0.9.5209-patch.bin". Every file I have download, in the past, has been in this format and I have had no problems updating. I have no idea why in the internet method is not working.

fw.azupd.com

Your last statement could be possible. Everything else you have done is no different than what I have ever done. Except for loading the firmware directly from the net to the box. You understand why I do not (can not) do that, But, that is not your trouble. It shouldn't be anyway and I don't suspect it right off.

What was the last firmware that you had installed? The one that worked before all this trouble began? Go back to that one and reload it to the box if you can. Try all the avenues we stated and reply back. I hate to tell you to JTAG your AZBox, but you might have to. I have never done this personally, but I know where to get the information.

Let's hope that isn't necessary.

RADAR

Same result. Changed address in Azbox and started downloading file. It stops right around 50% and gives me the failed to update error. This is driving me crazy.

Your last statement could be possible. Everything else you have done is no different than what I have ever done. Except for loading the firmware directly from the net to the box. You understand why I do not (can not) do that, But, that is not your trouble. It shouldn't be anyway and I don't suspect it right off.

What was the last firmware that you had installed? The one that worked before all this trouble began? Go back to that one and reload it to the box if you can. Try all the avenues we stated and reply back. I hate to tell you to JTAG your AZBox, but you might have to. I have never done this personally, but I know where to get the information.

Let's hope that isn't necessary.

RADAR

My current firmware was the latest from this, 5020. I can't load any of the older versions of the firmware. They all fail, whether via internet or USB.

I renamed the file to "patch" and to "patch.bin". I now get to the special update screen and selected USB. It tells me there is no update file on the stick. I downloaded the file from two different sources and tried both with the same results. Ugh! It's been a bad week for my equipment. First my main receiver, the Sonicview 8000HD, bites the dust for no apparent reason after about 5 years of faithful service and now the Azbox won't update firmware. I must have pissed off somebody to have all this bad luck at once.

My current firmware was the latest from this, 5020. I can't load any of the older versions of the firmware. They all fail, whether via internet or USB.

I renamed the file to "patch" and to "patch.bin". I now get to the special update screen and selected USB. It tells me there is no update file on the stick. I downloaded the file from two different sources and tried both with the same results. Ugh! It's been a bad week for my equipment. First my main receiver, the Sonicview 8000HD, bites the dust for no apparent reason after about 5 years of faithful service and now the Azbox won't update firmware. I must have pissed off somebody to have all this bad luck at once.

Bruin95,

Doggone, I really do feel bad for you. I really do as I know the feeling you have right now. I am not just saying so to patronize you. I have one dead AZBox and I cannot even send it back, even though it is under warranty. The customs form won't accept the address for OpenSat. Foreign addresses are a pain. Crap! I cannot get there from here! LOL

RADAR

Bruin, can you go bak to 0.9.5020? Will your systerm allow you to reload that version? That is the one that you had in it last, right?

RADAR

I finally got it to work. The method that worked was renaming the file and then accessing the USB stick via the settings page. I had two files on the stick, one named patch, and one named patch.bin. I selected USB and it listed the two files on the stick. I selected the first one and got the same result I have been having. I then selected the second file and, almost immediately, it began the update process. I was shocked, but happy. The only problem now is I have no idea which file worked, patch or patch.bin. At this point, I don't really care. I'm just glad I finally got it to work. I still don't know what's going on with the internet option, though. It's just not working for the two addresses I used. Oh well, that's a problem for another time. I want to thank everyone for their help, especially "Radar". Believe me, it is greatly appreciated.

I finally got it to work. The method that worked was renaming the file and then accessing the USB stick via the settings page. I had two files on the stick, one named patch, and one named patch.bin. I selected USB and it listed the two files on the stick. I selected the first one and got the same result I have been having. I then selected the second file and, almost immediately, it began the update process. I was shocked, but happy. The only problem now is I have no idea which file worked, patch or patch.bin. At this point, I don't really care. I'm just glad I finally got it to work. I still don't know what's going on with the internet option, though. It's just not working for the two addresses I used. Oh well, that's a problem for another time. I want to thank everyone for their help, especially "Radar". Believe me, it is greatly appreciated.

Bruin95,

I am so pleased that you got your system back and up and running! I don't exactly know what I had to do with it personally. You figured it out on your own, I think.

If you want to thank me for anything, just send me a six pack or a twelve of regular Busch Beer (not the light stuff).

LOL I am just kidding! Don't go out and buy any beer for me, unless you intend to drink it as a toast. That's ok. I will go for that.

Toast yourself if it comes to that point. You all deserve it!

As a matter of fact... Lift your glasses high and let's all toast the new year and eachother!

To my freinds in the FTA hobby, I salute you!

With a snifter of Brandy, a wineglass of Sake, and a shot of Jack Daniels I drink a little of each as a toast to all of you!

WOWQ! :eek!

Sor.. sorry, that drink mis...nix..mix is not a great combination, where did my computer screen go? O)h there it is.

LOL have fun and have a great NEW YEWR

LOL NEW YEAR!

P.S. Hicough, up,hick Salutee! If the ocean were Whiskey and I were a duck, I'd dive to the bottom and never come "hup"

:)

Ahh crud. You all know what I mean!

Last edited:
bruin95,

That is good news indeed. Now, if you want to know which file worked, you could always delete one of the files and try updating again, but I suspect you'd rather forget the whole "adventure" and extremely large waste of time for you that it has been!

Just an FYI, I was having trouble updating firmware as well and discovered that the problem was VLC media player was associating the file types of .bin files as VLC media files. I'm not sure why, but for some reason the Azbox didn't like that and I couldn't get any updates to work. After I uninstalled VLC, the file association went back to being just a .bin file and when I tried to update it worked fine. So I guess if you are having trouble, make sure that your files are being shown as .bin files and not something else.

JB

Found on the AZBox forum, one of the administrators stated that the internet upgrade is not working with the latest firmware, and that it has to be done via USB.

That's good news, I guess. At least I now know it wasn't anything on my end. That was driving me crazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)