Canseco at it again

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
Report: Canseco sought money from Magglio Ordonez to keep name `clear' in book
January 23, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jose Canseco offered to keep Magglio Ordonez "clear" in his upcoming book if the Detroit Tigers outfielder invested in a movie project promoted by Canseco, The New York Times reported Wednesday night.

The newspaper cited "a person in baseball with knowledge of the situation" in a report on its Web site and said four people in baseball, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Major League Baseball referred the matter to the FBI.

Ordonez decided not to go forward with a complaint, so the FBI didn't open a formal investigation, the newspaper said. Ordonez spoke to Tigers president Dave Dombrowski, who contacted MLB.

"I didn't want to press charges against him," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I don't want any problems. He is probably desperate for money. I don't understand why he is trying to put people down."

Ordonez, teammates with Canseco on the 2001 Chicago White Sox, said Canseco didn't specifically ask him for cash.

"One of Jose's friends was leaving me messages," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I told Dombrowski because I didn't know why he was calling me."

Canseco told the paper that neither he nor any associate asked Ordonez for money in exchange for avoiding mention in "Vindicated," which is scheduled for publication March 31.

"Absolutely not," Canseco was quoted as saying.

Canseco said he unsuccessfully attempted to reach Ordonez. Canseco refused to say whether he would implicate Ordonez with performance-enhancing drug use in the book.

Scott Boras, Ordonez's agent, filed a complaint with the FBI after Canseco spoke with a Boras employee and said Ordonez would be "clear" if the outfielder invested in the movie project, the newspaper said.

Last year, Canseco was reportedly trying to put together a movie based on "Juiced," his 2005 book that implicated Mark McGwire and Jason Giambi, among others, in the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Ordonez was not implicated in the Mitchell Report on drugs in baseball or in Canseco's first book.

If this is true, this guy is a scumbucket. If he had anything on Ordonez, why didn't he publish it in the first book. I don't believe this guy was withholding names for a second book. The next book is just to cash in some more on what he started up with the first book, now that the Mitchell report validated his first book. When he sat down with the ghost-writer I don't think they were envisioning a multi-book series. This guy didn't have the balls to come forward with this steroid matter until he could profit from it. Time to crawl back under the rock.

I don't wanna comment about this, but He was dead on in what he said about the MLB! A lot of people hated him for that. All I'm saying is he could have made a lot more money.

January 23, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jose Canseco offered to keep Magglio Ordonez "clear" in his upcoming book if the Detroit Tigers outfielder invested in a movie project promoted by Canseco, The New York Times reported Wednesday night.

The newspaper cited "a person in baseball with knowledge of the situation" in a report on its Web site and said four people in baseball, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Major League Baseball referred the matter to the FBI.

Ordonez decided not to go forward with a complaint, so the FBI didn't open a formal investigation, the newspaper said. Ordonez spoke to Tigers president Dave Dombrowski, who contacted MLB.

"I didn't want to press charges against him," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I don't want any problems. He is probably desperate for money. I don't understand why he is trying to put people down."

Ordonez, teammates with Canseco on the 2001 Chicago White Sox, said Canseco didn't specifically ask him for cash.

"One of Jose's friends was leaving me messages," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I told Dombrowski because I didn't know why he was calling me."

Canseco told the paper that neither he nor any associate asked Ordonez for money in exchange for avoiding mention in "Vindicated," which is scheduled for publication March 31.

Canseco said he unsuccessfully attempted to reach Ordonez. Canseco refused to say whether he would implicate Ordonez with performance-enhancing drug use in the book.

Scott Boras, Ordonez's agent, filed a complaint with the FBI after Canseco spoke with a Boras employee and said Ordonez would be "clear" if the outfielder invested in the movie project, the newspaper said.

Last year, Canseco was reportedly trying to put together a movie based on "Juiced," his 2005 book that implicated Mark McGwire and Jason Giambi, among others, in the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Ordonez was not implicated in the Mitchell Report on drugs in baseball or in Canseco's first book.

If this is true, this guy is a scumbucket. If he had anything on Ordonez, why didn't he publish it in the first book. I don't believe this guy was withholding names for a second book. The next book is just to cash in some more on what he started up with the first book, now that the Mitchell report validated his first book. When he sat down with the ghost-writer I don't think they were envisioning a multi-book series. This guy didn't have the balls to come forward with this steroid matter until he could profit from it. Time to crawl back under the rock.

I don't wanna comment about this, but He was dead on in what he said about the MLB! A lot of people hated him for that. All I'm saying is he could have made a lot more money.

Did anyone notice that Conseco thought so much about how bad steroids were that he waited till he was OUT of baseball before he came up with his idea.
Wonder what he would have said had someone done this WHILE HE WAS PLAYING ?
He would have denied it entirely.

Jimbo

January 23, 2008

Some people will do anything for money. It's too bad he is a hack writer that made millions off of garbage. I give Conseco even less credibility than McNamee

the Mitchell report validated his first book
That's a scary thought! Mitchell is too light on any direct evidence, so now MLB will have to investigate everything in his report. To me it's virtually worthless, the only thing it provided was suspicion which needed to be investigated further, but wasn't.

Did anyone notice that Conseco thought so much about how bad steroids were that he waited till he was OUT of baseball before he came up with his idea.

Jimbo

I found that quite interesting myself.

Jimbo
Probably so but so what? He has been right so far, no reason not to believe him.

I disagree! Canseco actually has nothing to lose by telling all that he knows. I'm not saying I like the guy; cause I don't, but .... he seems to have been spot on ..... No different than a snitch who infiltrates a gang.

Some people will do anything for money. It's too bad he is a hack writer that made millions off of garbage. I give Conseco even less credibility than McNamee

the Mitchell report validated his first book
That's a scary thought! Mitchell is too light on any direct evidence, so now MLB will have to investigate everything in his report. To me it's virtually worthless, the only thing it provided was suspicion which needed to be investigated further, but wasn't.

I disagree! Canseco actually has nothing to lose by telling all that he knows. I'm not saying I like the guy; cause I don't, but .... he seems to have been spot on ..... No different than a snitch who infiltrates a gang.

EXACTLY! FBI and the local authorities use snitches that have dubious past all the time like I have argued before. As long as the story is checked and confirmed....whos says they cannot be truthful?

EXACTLY! FBI and the local authorities use snitches that have dubious past all the time like I have argued before. As long as the story is checked and confirmed....whos says they cannot be truthful?

Whatever! As I said about McNamee; his statements were NOT coroberated! Now here you have come to my side of the point and agree if there is anything to support their statements then they can be used. Since there is little to no evidence to support McNamee's statements it's a matter of he said she said, and McNamee has less credibility. You guy's keep bringing this up. The problem is not with the person making the statement, but the fact that there is nothing to support what they say.

Another thing about Conseco:
Did he go to the authorities about steroid use? No he wrote a book. You can write a book and make any claim you want, and you can speculate all you want. In the end all it comes down to is whom do you believe. Without any hard evidence or other witnesses it's only Conseco's word. I think he lacks the credibility.

Here's a great article about this situation by Michael
MICHAEL ROSENBERG: NOT BUYING IT: Without proof, sorry, it's 'No way, Jose'

Whatever! As I said about McNamee; his statements were NOT coroberated! Now here you have come to my side of the point and agree if there is anything to support their statements then they can be used. Since there is little to no evidence to support McNamee's statements it's a matter of he said she said, and McNamee has less credibility. You guy's keep bringing this up. The problem is not with the person making the statement, but the fact that there is nothing to support what they say.

Another thing about Conseco:
Did he go to the authorities about steroid use? No he wrote a book. You can write a book and make any claim you want, and you can speculate all you want. In the end all it comes down to is whom do you believe. Without any hard evidence or other witnesses it's only Conseco's word. I think he lacks the credibility.

Here's a great article about this situation by Michael
MICHAEL ROSENBERG: NOT BUYING IT: Without proof, sorry, it's 'No way, Jose'

You really need to not make yourself or your point so important. Seeing that you are new to the area, I have always made the point that Canseco, in the end, has right as to what he thought, percentage wise, how many players were using steroids.....and it looks like he could be right. I personally am going on a case-by-case basis...and I think Clemens is guilty and always thought he was.

You really need to not make yourself or your point so important. Seeing that you are new to the area, I have always made the point that Canseco, in the end, has right as to what he thought, percentage wise, how many players were using steroids.....and it looks like he could be right. I personally am going on a case-by-case basis...and I think Clemens is guilty and always thought he was.
Whether or not Canseco is right about Ordonez is immaterial. The accusation against Canseco now looks like attempted extortion. If that's proven, Jose's going to jail. Clemens and Ordonez won't.

I think it is funny that he is going around and naming names, making deals with players, etc. when most of the steroids abuse goes right back to him. It is like a street drug dealer selling crack to people and then telling the police that they are using drugs. He needs to be one of the first people punished by the FBI, since he may not have started it, but he sure fueled the flames. Now, he wants to make millions off of it.

Whether or not Canseco is right about Ordonez is immaterial. The accusation against Canseco now looks like attempted extortion. If that's proven, Jose's going to jail. Clemens and Ordonez won't.

Very true...but my argument is neither about what Canseco has said about Ordonez or not. He stated BEFORE he wrote the 1st book that he said more than half of the players in baseball were using SOME KIND of performance enhancing drugs...and EVERYBODY, including yours truly, thought he was full of cuban rice and beans and the way it turned out....he was telling the truth.
All Ordonez has to do is sue....plain an simple. IF you value your name and integrity, then you will defend your name....plain and simple.

You think; opinion

I'm a writer I don't always have that luxury. If I make a statement I need to back it up, especially if I accuse someone of a criminal act.

I think it is funny that he is going around and naming names, making deals with players, etc. when most of the steroids abuse goes right back to him. It is like a street drug dealer selling crack to people and then telling the police that they are using drugs. He needs to be one of the first people punished by the FBI, since he may not have started it, but he sure fueled the flames. Now, he wants to make millions off of it.

I agree.

But did Clemons cross your mind as being guilty last year or the year before that ?
Probably Not until someone else brought his name up .....

I agree 1000% .
I made mention earlier that Conseco conveniently didn't do any of this while HE was playing, only after his career was over and he would not have anything to worry about.

I'd like to see him in court and have them ask if HE used them, we all know he did, he's admitted it already, but he doesn't seem to be being harrassed like Bonds , Clemons ect.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)