Can't find 101

Status
Please reply by conversation.

j.stouder

Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Norfolk, VA
I searched the forum and I can't find a similar problem. If this has been answered elsewhere, please direct me there. I recently lost satellite 101. No obstructions, but a good wind storm recently went through. I can re-align the dish to get 110, 119, and 103 with strong signal (above 90 on these three simultaneously, but I can't find 101 or 99 at all). I had previously match-marked the original position. I believe that I should start with 101 and find the rest, but I can't find it! Is there any way to work my way backwards with what I have now and get 101? For example, 'adjust elevation only' or some similar help. Thank you in advance.

I searched the forum and I can't find a similar problem. If this has been answered elsewhere, please direct me there. I recently lost satellite 101. No obstructions, but a good wind storm recently went through. I can re-align the dish to get 110, 119, and 103 with strong signal (above 90 on these three simultaneously, but I can't find 101 or 99 at all). I had previously match-marked the original position. I believe that I should start with 101 and find the rest, but I can't find it! Is there any way to work my way backwards with what I have now and get 101? For example, 'adjust elevation only' or some similar help. Thank you in advance.

My best guess it that your dish isn't pointed at 101 like it should be. If you get 110 and 119, you should get 101 easily. Try rotating it just a little bit and leaving it there for a few seconds to allow the receiver to detect it.

I have adjusted the dish slightly in all directions from the match-marked positions with no luck finding 101. With three directions to adjust, it can be tedious. Is there a specific way to adjust from here now that I have 110, 119, and 103? Azimuth, Elevation? I have covered up each of the LNB's and have watched the signals go away for the associated satellites, could it potentially be a LNB issue? I certainly wouldn't discount operator error as I know the guy doing the adjustments (me).....

BY law..the 101 is nine degrees east of the 110 and three degrees east of the 103. Try three degrees east (left) of the 103 then adjust the elevation up and down slowly.

OR before you do anything try switching receivers and LNBs...the 101 is out there.

Also if you are doing this today...sat 12/19/09 in the AM ...you did notice the record snow event going through the area? Norfolk VA got rain but lots and lots,,,right?

Joe

I have been working on getting 101 for the past couple of days (before the weather set in), though I will admit to freezing this morning trying to get this adjusted! Three degrees to the left and adjust elevation..... I will try first thing in the morning! Thanks again.....

I have been working on getting 101 for the past couple of days (before the weather set in), though I will admit to freezing this morning trying to get this adjusted! Three degrees to the left and adjust elevation..... I will try first thing in the morning! Thanks again.....
IMHO.. the 101 is so easy to get that I could get it while blindfolded and slightly tipsy. I don't see what dish you have but assume it's slimline. I concur with Fed-up... bad LNB. Good luck!!!:cool:

Normally I can get 101 with little effort, which is why something seems amiss. I do have a slimline, sorry, should have mentioned that in the first post. I have tried different tuners and ran a line straight from the dish to the tuner and I am getting the same results. On the slimline, which LNB picks up 101? And does the same LNB also get 99? 99 might be an alignment issue, but since I can't get 101 it is harder to point..... Again, thanks for all the help....

Slimline 5LNB uses the larger LNB to pick up 99, 101, and 103. The two side LNBs are for 110 and 119.

Make sure the mast is plumb and that the skew is set for your location.

If you don't have the protection plan I'm pretty sure a service call is only $50. I'm not sure if this would cover the cost of a new LNB if that's what you need. Just a thought.

Slimline 5LNB uses the larger LNB to pick up 99, 101, and 103. The two side LNBs are for 110 and 119.

Make sure the mast is plumb and that the skew is set for your location.

+ The very common error is to count the horns and come up with three. Do not select the three LNB (Phase III) dish. The 5LNB slimline Ka/Ku is the correct dish to select.

Joe

Remove & Inspect all four cables coming out of the Slimline dish. Check for any fraying or cracking; also check the female/male connectors for broken off copper or anything foreign in the female side. If anything appears "bad" cut both connectors & install new compression connectors at the source. The 101 is truly the easiest bird to find on a plumn level; so easy you can usually just spin the mount around & find it. After all this, do your movements slow & wait for the signal to reach your meter/TV before moving it. Why do these things always seem to go down in winter time during a snow storm?

I'd be looking for condensation on the West side of the big lens.

If you have any spare BBCs, I'd be trying those. 103W is stacked with 110W and 119W while 99W and 101W are stacked together.

Stack Plan (from WB68 manual)

Ka-Lo, 99° RHCP
Ku, 101° RHCP
Ka-Hi, 99° RHCP

Ka-Lo, 99° LHCP
Ku, 101° LHCP
Ka-Hi, 99° LHCP

Ka-Lo, 103° RHCP
Ku, 119° RHCP
Ka-Hi, 103° RHCP

Ka-Lo, 103° LHCP
Ku, 110°/119° LHCP
Ka-Hi, 103° LHCP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)