Can't find 72.7 satellite. Need Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Endotheline

Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Ann Arbor
I have a strong signal on 61.5 but can't find 72.7. I have a VIP211k receiver. When go to Point Dish and prompted for available satellites to search for, don't see 72.7. See 72 but can't get a signal. I get a strong signal with a peaking meter at the correct location (elev/skew/azimuth) for the 72.7 but no signal on reciever. Have 1000.4 EA Dish. Have read the receiver needs to have a "circled A" to be compatible with EA. Works fine on 61.5 but want 72.7 so can get more channels, Big Ten Network, etc. Also want ability to set local weather on Wearher Channel. Can't seem to figure it out. Please help!

Have read the receiver needs to have a "circled A" to be compatible with EA

I don't know what this means. All receivers are compatible with all arcs

Anyway, Azimuth is 165, Elevation 39, Skew 76. Possibly you're not really hitting the 61, also

I don't know what this means. All receivers are compatible with all arcs

Anyway, Azimuth is 165, Elevation 39, Skew 76. Possibly you're not really hitting the 61, also

IIRC back in the beginning of the eastern arc Dish marked MPEG4 receivers with a circled A so people wouldn't try to install 301's and 501's on the eastern arc. :)

IIRC back in the beginning of the eastern arc Dish marked MPEG4 receivers with a circled A so people wouldn't try to install 301's and 501's on the eastern arc. :)
Ahh, yeah, that could be. I started in 2013 and EA was still in it's infancy, at least in Illinois. I didn't even have .4 EA kits or LNB's for the first 6 months I worked here

Normally you aim with 72 (72.7). Then if the mast is vertical and the Skew is set. 61.5 should be aligned also.

Normally you aim with 72 (72.7). Then if the mast is vertical and the Skew is set. 61.5 should be aligned also.

I tried to lock into the 72 (72.7- thanks for clarification) first but could not get it located. Moved Dish all around and got some strong signals with peaking meter but reciever would not lock in. But the 61.5 (echostar 61.5) is strong.
So if I can get the 61.5 I should be able to get 72?
How much different is the aim of the dish to pick up 72?

I tried to lock into the 72 (72.7- thanks for clarification) first but could not get it located. Moved Dish all around and got some strong signals with peaking meter but reciever would not lock in. But the 61.5 (echostar 61.5) is strong.
So if I can get the 61.5 I should be able to get 72?
How much different is the aim of the dish to pick up 72?

Eleven degrees.

For the obvious, what does the Pointing screen say you have for a dish? You did run a Switch Check, right?

Ahh, yeah, that could be. I started in 2013 and EA was still in it's infancy, at least in Illinois. I didn't even have .4 EA kits or LNB's for the first 6 months I worked here
My 1000.4 EA dish was installed in 2011, so I know it pre-dates that. EA had been a thing for quite awhile before I got it.

My 1000.4 EA dish was installed in 2011, so I know it pre-dates that. EA had been a thing for quite awhile before I got it.
In Ohio, but not in my area of Illinois. It was a go to for NLOS on WA, but there were no locals, those were only on the 129 HD and 110 SD. I think it was near the end of 2014 that we got .2 ea LNB's and the locals got added to the 61.5 and like Cleveland, we can go either way. Now Columbus is rough. WA only and no SD Locals, only on the 129. I lost count of how many trouble calls for signal loss I went to and the 129 was blocked by trees. Most I could relocate, but some were either cut some trees or SOL :/

In Ohio, but not in my area of Illinois. It was a go to for NLOS on WA, but there were no locals, those were only on the 129 HD and 110 SD. I think it was near the end of 2014 that we got .2 ea LNB's and the locals got added to the 61.5 and like Cleveland, we can go either way. Now Columbus is rough. WA only and no SD Locals, only on the 129. I lost count of how many trouble calls for signal loss I went to and the 129 was blocked by trees. Most I could relocate, but some were either cut some trees or SOL :/
When I had Columbus locals, the SD feeds were on 129, just like the HD feeds. I agree that was not much help, because if the signal went out on 129, I lost everything.

I agree with dishdude.

Assuming a clear LOS you need to raise the elevation a little bit and swing your dish to the right. You're probably pretty close to where you need to be.

Last time I put up a dish without a meter I just ran a temporary line to the receiver and a small TV and cranked the volume up so I could listen for the tone. If that's not feasible another person can stand in front of the tv and yell or tell you over the phone when you're hitting it. It's pretty easy with the VIP receivers.

Reactions: pattykay
You should be receiving 61.5 on the rightmost lnb looking at the dish from behind the reflector. Cover the other 2 lnb's and see if you still receive 61.5. Sounds like you are receiving 61.5 with the center or left lnb, try covering the two outer lnb's and also try covering the two right lnb's see if you can determine which one is getting 61.5.

Dishdude, satnewb, jim5506,
I think you guys have nailed it. My cable is connected to the middle lnb (72.7), as I was trying to locate the the 72.7 satellite, as was initially instructed. But I'm locking into the 61.5 satellite. So must be picking up 61.5 on incorrect lnb.
Does it make any difference to what lnb the cable is connected? I only have a one reciever, one dish set up.
Thank you

Dishdude, satnewb, jim5506,
I think you guys have nailed it. My cable is connected to the middle lnb (72.7), as I was trying to locate the the 72.7 satellite, as was initially instructed. But I'm locking into the 61.5 satellite. So must be picking up 61.5 on incorrect lnb.
Does it make any difference to what lnb the cable is connected? I only have a one reciever, one dish set up.
Thank you
No, you can use any of the three outputs, The .2 and .4 EA LNB's have switches built in. I know pointing EA, a lot of times, I'm pointing for the 72 and end up getting a different sat in the same vicinity (Which the Sat buddy sometimes ID's as the 119 or the 61 for some reason.). Moving up a notch and moving to the right and the 72 comes in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)