Can't find satellite with AT9? Bad lnb?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, I am kind of at my wits end. I'm trying to set up an AT9 at my buddy's house. We did mine last week with no probs. I can't seem to find 101? We have an in-line meter and it doesn't seem to be finding the 101. We get all 0's on all transponders. There is a tip of a thin tree that might be in the way a bit, but I can't imagine it would obscure 100% of the signal as it is pretty thin. I would think we would get something. Could it be a bad lnb? If that were the case, would we still not be able to see the satellite? Also, the two cables that go from the small lnb to the big lnb broke. We had to go buy 2 3 foot rg6 cables to connect the lnbs. Would this affect it? I don't think so. Any more ideas? PLease, no advice about calling a pro in, in canada.

-Rob

Well, not that anyone had anything to say....but, if anyone was interested, it was that small tree top. I still can't believe that was the culprit, but we cut the top of the neighbor's tree off (about 4 or 5 feet) and it works fine now. I can't say what will happen to the tree though (or his relationship with the neighbor if the guy notices the shorter tree and the new satellite dish. lol)

What model inline meter are you using?

Ok, I am kind of at my wits end. I'm trying to set up an AT9 at my buddy's house. We did mine last week with no probs. I can't seem to find 101? We have an in-line meter and it doesn't seem to be finding the 101. We get all 0's on all transponders. There is a tip of a thin tree that might be in the way a bit, but I can't imagine it would obscure 100% of the signal as it is pretty thin. I would think we would get something. Could it be a bad lnb? If that were the case, would we still not be able to see the satellite? Also, the two cables that go from the small lnb to the big lnb broke. We had to go buy 2 3 foot rg6 cables to connect the lnbs. Would this affect it? I don't think so. Any more ideas? PLease, no advice about calling a pro in, in canada.

-Rob

So your getting all other satellites like 99,103,110 & 119? That's so strange. I'm sure Canada has independent installers that have no bias as to what satellite your attempting to peak. You'll just have to keep trying, it's much harder to align the new AT-9 and slimline. You need to be right on. You mentioned your using an inline meter, what model and brand are you using?

Please note: If your only interested in High Definition programming, then next year you will only need to get the 99 & 103 satellites for programming. All HD programming for DirecTV is going to these satellites by summer 2007.

So your getting all other satellites like 99,103,110 & 119? That's so strange. I'm sure Canada has independent installers that have no bias as to what satellite your attempting to peak. You'll just have to keep trying, it's much harder to align the new AT-9 and slimline. You need to be right on. You mentioned your using an inline meter, what model and brand are you using?

Please note: If your only interested in High Definition programming, then next year you will only need to get the 99 & 103 satellites for programming. All HD programming for DirecTV is going to these satellites by summer 2007.

I suppose I should elaborate. We were trying to set up the AT9 with a standard def receiver. We selected the 3 lnb dish setup in the menu as there was no 5lnb option. I assumed this would not make a difference when trying to peak the 101 and 119. We were using an el-cheapo SF-95 inline meter. The meter worked for my install with an HR20 and AT9, but we were having real troubles with it this time with my buddy's standard receiver and AT9. Basically it would not detect the satellite, even though the on-screen (receiver setup) signal meter was dynamically reacting to our movements of the dish. We finally ditched the in-line meter and then tried to tweak the signal using different transponders on the 101. (I know this is bad, but we were at our wits end and out of ideas.) Finally, after no real luck, we switched to HR20 receivers and set it to the 5lnb for setup. Well, low and behold the 101 starts churing out 70s and 80s on all transponders for the 101. Since we had already decided to call it a day and given that TV was being received, we did call it a day.

So, we still have to tweak it, but I don't know about the other satellites. Maybe the meter wasn't working because we had the wrong dish type selected? (I doubt it) Maybe I will call an installer at the end of the day.

Any ideas on our original plight and why it wouldn't work?

-Rob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)