Can't Get All 10 VOOM Channels On 811 WHY??

glenns1939

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2003
Here is my sad story. Have 2 811 receivers-have HDTV package and 61.5 Dish plus Dish 500 pointed to 110 and 119. Paid my $5 and to my chagrin only two channels showed up-all the rest said seeking satellite. Tried soft and hard resets-check switch said all three satellites were ok-both odd and even. Checked software and have 284LABD-N. The dishes are DishPro and I have a 64 switch serving two 811s and two 301s. Went through five phone techs who had me do again what I already had done. Most had no clue about VOOM. They kept telling me to go to installation and check 61.5 and then point to transponder 01,03,05,and 07. Of course there are no odd transponders listed on the 811. Stymied! Yet the two channels I did receive did indicate one of these four as the source of signal.I called again and got a tech in China who argued with me when I told her I couldn't get 1,3,5 or 7 to appear on my list. Tech #1 came and went on the roof and confirmed great signals from all even transponders. He was baffled and called his Dish source. They said to go to transponder 29 which is key somehow to 61.5-it was there but NO SIGNAL.More talk and nothing new. He left. I called Dish AGAIN and finally convinced a tech to send another hit to my receivers. Wow, now I got 6 more channels for a total of 8. But the two missing channels required transponder 5. More calls and nothing-still missing the last two channels. Today tech 2 arrived at 7:15AM and spent an hour on the phone with DISH-neither they, nor he had a clue as to what to do. He never did anything to the equipment-just wasted an hour on the phone. He gave up and left. ANY IDEAS?????? Once again two dishes-61.5 and the DISH PRO dual LNB for 110 and 219. A 64 switch with power inserter. I have the highest tier plus the HDTV package-all of these were here and worked fine when I added VOOM-they still work fine-only the last two VOOM channels that say they are seeking transponder 5 on 61.5-but they never find it, and so far no one else has either. Finally DISH sent another hit to my receivers and this time no dice! Oh, by the way all my even numbered transponders have signal strength numbers well above 100-most 115-125. Another poster had similar problems but signal was in the 70's and 80's-he re-aimed and his reception came in. I don't think my problem is related to signal strength.

Let me get this straight. You have a SW64 switch running DishPro lnbs? DishPro lnbs are not compatible with legacy switches.

ats7627 said:
Let me get this straight. You have a SW64 switch running DishPro lnbs? DishPro lnbs are not compatible with legacy switches.
that caught me as well... technicly it shouldnt work at all.....

have you rebooted your receivers???

I dont think the techs have realized the problem... It looks to me that the switch needs to be replaced with a DP34

I know that later in his message he says he's got Dish PRO Dual LNB, but earlier in his message he says they're legacy:

>>>>The dishes are Legacy and I have a 64 switch serving two 811s and two 301s<<<<

Man, I know how frustrating it is going through what you're going through. I have the same exact set-up as you (legacy LNBs, SW64, 811). I was going nuts when the VOOM channels were not coming up. I really believe if you tweaked your dish just a little bit you'd get those last 2 channels. When I repeaked mine, they all came right in. And, I didn't even have to move it much just a hair in one direction or the other.

BTW, the whole bit about the odd numbered transponders is BOGUS. I still don't have transponders 1,3,5,7, or 9 and I'm getting all the VOOM channels just fine!

Good luck and go tweak that dish!
TimR><>

:eek: Sorry for the confusion-I have never been on the roof-DISH installed the two. I have the 61.5 with single LNB, and the 110/119 with dual LNBs. The tech said they were Legacy- tech # 2, but he didn't go on the roof. I checked my Users Guide and it says DishPro so he must be wrong-the manual agrees with those of you that say Legacy would be incompatable. They have been up there for 3 years and after 3 failed 64 switches, DISH finally installed the 64 in the basement where MA weather can't cause it to fail. I can see the dual dish and it says DishPro 500. The long and short of it is I still don't have complete VOOM service.

Your 811 owners manual states DishPro because the receiver is DishPro compatible. The 811 is also compatible with legacy switches and lnbs. Since there is no way for DishPro lnbs to feed an SW64 switch and work correctly, your lnbs have to be legacy.

Bfg

Thanks-I appreciate the response-hope it doesn't take too long. Why doesn"t new technology ever work as advertised? This hasn't been a good week for me. :no

How come none of the tech csr's, or the two techs who arrived had a clue about a software issue?

Finally the mystery is solved. The 3rd tech visit resulted in swapping out the Legacy LNBs for DishPro-replacing the 64 switch with a 34 switch and finally changing out all connectors on the roof. Until then I had zero odd transponder signals, including 29 & 31. The end result is I now have 29 and 31 with 110 to 125 signal, AND all 10 ZOOM channels. It's funny because I suggested updating to a 34 switch and replacing the Legacy LNB's with DishPro LNBs to online techs and they said it wouldn't help. I told them about zero signals on all available odd transponders on my 811 receiver. I couldn't believe it was a software issue because both my 811s got 110-125 signals on all usable EVEN transponders. Oh well, it took a month but now all is well!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)