Can't get HDCP channels.......

I had this error too a while back. I realized that I had my TV set up as a monitor using the PC setting on the TV rather than the Satellite setting on the TV. When I put the TV into Satellite rather than PC, the problem went away. I wonder if you may have the same problem that I did.

Reactions: ChadT41 and Tampa8
I had this error too a while back. I realized that I had my TV set up as a monitor using the PC setting on the TV rather than the Satellite setting on the TV. When I put the TV into Satellite rather than PC, the problem went away. I wonder if you may have the same problem that I did.

Worth checking!

Reactions: ChadT41
What do you mean by "PC and Satellite setting" ? Are you referring to the inputs?

Let's see if I can make it bit clearer. Most newer TVs have, in their menu settings, a way to tell the TV what your source signal is. As an example, my Sharp shows, the following: Auto, Standard, Movie, Game, PC, User, Dynamic, Dynamic (Fixed). If the OP was, perhaps, set to PC the TV would make adjustments as if a PC was the source.

Reactions: papachops
Let's see if I can make it bit clearer. Most newer TVs have, in their menu settings, a way to tell the TV what your source signal is. As an example, my Sharp shows, the following: Auto, Standard, Movie, Game, PC, User, Dynamic, Dynamic (Fixed). If the OP was, perhaps, set to PC the TV would make adjustments as if a PC was the source.

That's a little more helpful. Input and source are basically the same thing. Sounds like you're just talking about the video settings. If that's the case I wasn't aware that changing those settings could make a difference.

It does make a difference on my LG TV. If I pick "Computer" as my source for a given input certain selections on the TV menu regarding that input are different than if I tell it something else as being the source. I don't know if HDCP would be affected or not, but for instance the setting to smooth the picture during fast scenes will not work in Computer mode. Picking "Notebook" changes how I can pick the screen size. (Maybe other settings not sure)

That's a little more helpful. Input and source are basically the same thing. Sounds like you're just talking about the video settings. If that's the case I wasn't aware that changing those settings could make a difference.
I have to go along with your assessment.

It does make a difference on my LG TV. If I pick "Computer" as my source for a given input certain selections on the TV menu regarding that input are different than if I tell it something else as being the source. I don't know if HDCP would be affected or not, but for instance the setting to smooth the picture during fast scenes will not work in Computer mode. Picking "Notebook" changes how I can pick the screen size. (Maybe other settings not sure)
It shouldn't affect HDCP at all. As Schermann points out, those settings are usually for the picture/image.

But, it sounds as if selecting PC/Computer may make more changes than just white level/black level/gamma/sharpness/etc. It's possible it removes HDCP in that mode.

That sounds more like a "mode" setting, as "source" typically means the same as "input" in video terminology.

Yes, I did mean input. Sorry for the confusion. My input was on the PC setting and needed to be moved to Satellite. You can usually see the input settings available to you in the menu of your TV.

Reactions: primestar31
Computer mode also changes the input lag, makes the lag less and is meant for gaming. I don't know if that timing change would cause errors in the handshake.

Computer mode also changes the input lag, makes the lag less and is meant for gaming. I don't know if that timing change would cause errors in the handshake.
Or maybe it bypasses the handshake altogether to allow for the shorter input lag.

Reactions: Tampa8
While we are discussing HDCP, I have a strange situation to ask about. I am running my Hopper through a Samsung home theater system to a Samsung tv with HDMI cables and everything has been running fine including HBO and other movie channels.
Since Dish added Netflix, when I try to watch anything off of Netflix, it works for about 30 seconds and then goes black with no sound. After this all the premiums and the Disney family channels will not work. I get a message saying my tv is not HDCP compliant. I have to turn everything off and then back on and everything is alright again,until I try Netflix through Dish again.
Netflix through a Roku has no problem running through same system. Any ideas ?

Reactions: PalmBayPal1
The acid test will be for Dirt to get you a replacement, and if a No Go, it's the Vizio. But as mentioned before, ask for a 211k so if it is the TV, you can connect via component.

There is absolutely no way, even through DIRT, to guarantee that the OP will get a 211k. The board has gone round and round on this, more than a few think I am wrong about this, and that's fine, but I'm telling folks, there simply is no way to specify what model of 211 a customer will receive. I have had to deal with issues like this. A customer had a 311 that had the interactive capability, and a coax output, and the customer was migrated to the 211, and got a 211z. I told 'em, I cannot replace and be sure a 211k will arrive. They called back, and an offshore agent set up a receiver change (which would require a commitment) to get them a 211k. I checked later, it didn't work.

The only way to really be sure someone gets a specific model receiver is through a reseller or retailer, where they have them in inventory.

There is absolutely no way, even through DIRT, to guarantee that the OP will get a 211k. The board has gone round and round on this, more than a few think I am wrong about this, and that's fine, but I'm telling folks, there simply is no way to specify what model of 211 a customer will receive. I have had to deal with issues like this. A customer had a 311 that had the interactive capability, and a coax output, and the customer was migrated to the 211, and got a 211z. I told 'em, I cannot replace and be sure a 211k will arrive. They called back, and an offshore agent set up a receiver change (which would require a commitment) to get them a 211k. I checked later, it didn't work.

The only way to really be sure someone gets a specific model receiver is through a reseller or retailer, where they have them in inventory.
Honestly, gave up explaining that. I will say this just to kill the idea. The system, it has no way to input specific receivers. It only inputs family models. ie solo hd non dVR, or duo hd dvr, or hopper, or hopper with sling(they may have since removed the option for the hopper). Nowhere does it say "would you like a 211, a 211k, or a 211z"

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
Honestly, gave up explaining that. I will say this just to kill the idea. The system, it has no way to input specific receivers. It only inputs family models. ie solo hd non dVR, or duo hd dvr, or hopper, or hopper with sling(they may have since removed the option for the hopper). Nowhere does it say "would you like a 211, a 211k, or a 211z"

It's a little better with the current system over the old DIU page. Was this in place before you left? It has a matrix with the existing receivers, and a column for non-Hopper and Hopper systems. The choices (at least on EA) are limited to 211,(no more 222 listed), 612, 622 (which of course, includes the 722). The 622 is going to be the 722/722k, and of course, we can't choose. The 211 is most likely the 211z. We can still do a 311, 322, 512, or 522 for the WA customers, and of course, the 522 is going to likely be the 625. They have some things in place where it's really advantageous to use a 211 instead of a 311, have had to instruct folks on that.

I wish I could take a picture of our system, but I most certainly won't do so, but as we've tried to say, there is no way to pick a sub-model in a family. They have added numbers to represent the family (solo non-DVR, solo DVR, duo DVR, etc), but no way to select specifics.

Also, there is no 922 in the list, but I do see some as purchased on the pay in advance accounts. Not sure if a retailer or sales has a way to do that. I've rebuilt a sales order recently (I hate doing that), and didn't see an option for it. One other thing, widely mis-reported here, the system does not force a Hopper system on anybody.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts