Can't get horizontal frequencies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I think my BUD may be damaged. It was in bad shape when I got it, and I didn't help it any when I moved the dish and forgot to move my gorilla ladder that was in front of the dish. Two off the pannels got bent. I was still able to pick up all c-band; however, today I cannot get the networks out of the USVI. After messing with the dish, I realized that no horizontal chanels are working.

Would a bent dish allow verticle channels to work (80-90% quality on most) but not horizaontal? Thanks.

The LNB is a BSC621 C/Ku LNBF with 22KHz switching. I just purchased it about a month ago to replace a BSC621-2 that went bad. I'm going to check to make sure the LNB didn't move. Perhaps it's a skew issue. What puzzles me was that I was watching NBC Thursday night, and when I went to turn on the TV the next day, I had no signal. The dish did not move all night. I may not have the LNB fastened tight enough, and it may have moved, but I would think if the the skew was off I would not be able to get verticle either.

I had a problem getting horizontal Ku as well. I could get verticle with no problems. I had the same issue with the BSC621-2 (verticle Ku but no horizontal). Since Ku is much more sensitive than C, my initial thought was that the dish is warped and was not picking up horizontal Ku frequencies.

I think I might remove the two panels that got bent, and place them between two good panels. But first I will check my lnb. I doubt it is bad, but it might need to be adjusted.

I"m curious how your lnbf is skewed? I don't have that model but do have the C/k1 geosatpro and I had it skewed wrong when I first installed it, I think I was off 90 degrees or maybe 180, it still worked, sort of. Lak7 has or had that lnbf, maybe he can say how the lnbf should look when the dish is pointing south.
Do you have a picture of yours?

I've determined the dish is not the problem. It's either the lnb or the receiver. I'm using a Visionsat that I purchased from Ebay and have had issues with it from day one. Anyway, I discover that if I turn off the receiver and then turn it back on, I get horizontal channels for about 5 minutes, and then the picture freezes and I loose the signal. Signal quality is 90% when working. I'm going to hook up one of my old receivers and see if the same thing happens.

UPDATE
I hooked up my old Megasat box and have not had any problems with horitontal channels. So it appears the problem may be with the Visionsat that I bought on Ebay for $80.00.

Last edited:
I've determined the dish is not the problem. It's either the lnb or the receiver. I'm using a Visionsat that I purchased from Ebay and have had issues with it from day one. Anyway, I discover that if I turn off the receiver and then turn it back on, I get horizontal channels for about 5 minutes, and then the picture freezes and I loose the signal. Signal quality is 90% when working. I'm going to hook up one of my old receivers and see if the same thing happens.

UPDATE
I hooked up my old Megasat box and have not had any problems with horitontal channels. So it appears the problem may be with the Visionsat that I bought on Ebay for $80.00.

Sounds like your internal tone generator [no pun intended] is quitting or drifting out of spec. It may be a relatively easy repair if you have a bit of electronics background.
I have seen 'outboard' tone generators in the market, but havent paid any attention to their setup requirements.
If you dont want to mess with it and want to give it to me, I think I could go along with that as well.............lol

sounds like a power issue to me you can get verticals but not horizontals this is on both c & ku

EDIT and this is just a guess :)
Does the ".........BSC621 C/Ku LNBF with 22KHz switching.........." need the 13/18v shift to switch? I am not familiar with it, I just went on the 22khz switching description. It would certainly be an easier quick check for voltage issues than 22khz signals dropping out or drifting.

the 22k switching is just for going between c & ku
i think hes getting both c & ku just only verticals
"Ahh so grasshopah" as the saying goes. That make even more better sense.........lol
I've spent some considerable time contemplating the all possible control signal sources for a home brew H/V polarotor, when I saw 22khz, I associated it with, H/V...............silly rabbit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts