can't get KU

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jigger

Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Hello if this is the wrong place to post this, please excuse me. i've never posted anything anywhere and am slightly confused about where to go to ask this question.
we have a Motorola DRS922 receiver and we put a KU horn on our dish. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to program in AM3 (which I think is listed as K3 in the satellite list)
LNB type on Dish Settings is C-Band and Ku-Band LNBs; actuator is Linear/East
Feedhorn polarization is Rotated 90
What I have done so far is go to the screen where a satellite can be programmed/added, selected K3, made dish position the same as W3, auto peeked, auto skewed and I get zip EXCEPT when I press the Options button on the remote to move through the transponders occasionally for a nanosecond i get sound but nothing else.
What am I doing wrong?
thank you for any help or advice you can offer

Most likely your not doing anything wrong...just not much in the way of KU left on c-band, you need to go with a FTA receiver slaved to you 922.
Just what are trying to get on AMC3 ?

Last edited:
Your dish aiming has to be much more precise to receiver ku on a large dish.
You would be surprised how you can get good C-band reception and still not be aligned well enough to get ku on a large dish antenna.

A large dish antenna has a tight beamwidth. Meaning that the dish is much more focused on the satellite at KU band frequency levels and there is not as much fudge room to be off alignment.

Your focal point on the feedhorn and focal distance has to be dead on too.

Make sure your feedhorn is centered on the dish. Measure three points from the edge of the scalar ring to the edge of the dish. Do the measurements Left, Right, bottom.

You should have the same identical measurements down to 1/16 of an inch.

If you measurements are more in one direction or another you need to slightly loosen the feedhorn scalar ring bolts and move it in the direction of the highest measurement. Keep measuring until you have equal lengths all the way around.

This will help make your ku strong.

Also the distance the feedhorn is inserted in the scalar ring.
Make sure the "F/D" is set according to your dish's specs. Even then it may use some tweaking.

the Geo-orbit website has an in depth articles for alignments.

Also like stated above, there is not much on ku on the digicipher II (dsr-922).
Since HITS ended their ku feeds on X4 that pretty much left KU band out.

You can get a good FTA DVB receiver and get lots of ku on your big dish.
It can be slaved to the dsr-922 so both receiver can work off one dish.

Do a search on "slaving a dvb receiver".

Your dsr-922 will still control the position of the dish and the feedhorn polarity (horizontal or vertical). This arrangement works well and opens up a wider array of programming to the Big dish owner.

Thanks

I was trying to get various PBS feeds
I will look into the things you all suggested, and much appreciate you taking your time to help me with this.
Again, thanks!

PBS on amc 3 KU can be a little tough sometimes. The signal fluctuates a lot on my system.
They have a nice HD feed on ku if you have an HD fta receiver.
Quality is fantastic.

Just be patient take your time and play with your system. You will get it.
We are always glad to help anyway possible here at Satelliteguys.

What PBS feed is on regular (not FTA) AMC-3 Ku? What channel number on a 4DTV?

EDIT-Never mind, found the little bugger. :) Kind of odd that there's a new PBS feed available on 4DTV and it doesn't show up in the IPG. :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts