Can't Get Linear Sats with Invacom QPH-031

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jscrimshaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
London ON
Hey guys... I just installed my dish.. Its a 1m dish with motor, 4x1 Diseqc switch, and an Invacom QPH-031 LNB and I am having difficulty trying to get linear sats. I am able to lock onto circular sats like 82W (my true south sat) as well as 61.5W, 91W 110W, 119W and 129W all with 96% to 99% quality using Usals.. When I try anything else like AMC 9, I get nothing. Using Diseqc 1.2, I tried to bump the dish east and west and still nothing

VS Pro Settings for Circular
Satellite: 82W
LNB Freq: 11250
Diseqc 1.0: Port 1
Transponder: 12224
Motor Control: Usals
S: 85
Q: 99

VS Pro Settings for Linear
Satellite AMC 9 (closest linear sat to my true south)
LNB Freq: 10750
Diseqc 1.0: Port 2
Transponder 12140
Motor Control: Usals (Diseqc 1.2 to bump)
Q: 0

I tried other linear sats with the same settings and using the transponder info from "The List" and still I get nothing

I now only have one feed coming from the ''L" on the LNB directly into the motor. then from the motor into my receiver and I am still not getting anything (tried both "L" ports)

What could be the issue.. I'm Stumped:confused:
I hope its not the LNB... I have been vary careful with it

Hey guys... I just installed my dish.. Its a 1m dish with motor, 4x1 Diseqc switch, and an Invacom QPH-031 LNB and I am having difficulty trying to get linear sats. I am able to lock onto circular sats like 82W (my true south sat) as well as 61.5W, 91W 110W, 119W and 129W all with 96% to 99% quality using Usals.. When I try anything else like AMC 9, I get nothing. Using Diseqc 1.2, I tried to bump the dish east and west and still nothing

VS Pro Settings for Circular
Satellite: 82W
LNB Freq: 11250
Diseqc 1.0: Port 1
Transponder: 12224
Motor Control: Usals
Q: 99

VS Pro Settings for Linear
Satellite AMC 9 (closest linear sat to my true south)
LNB Freq: 10750
Diseqc 1.0: Port 2
Transponder 12140
Motor Control: Usals (Diseqc 1.2 to bump)
Q: 0

I tried other linear sats with the same settings and using the transponder info from "The List" and still I get nothing

I now only have one feed coming from the ''L" on the LNB directly into the motor. then from the motor into my receiver and I am still not getting anything (tried both "L" ports)

What could be the issue.. I'm Stumped:confused:
I hope its not the LNB... I have been vary careful with it

Jscrimshaw,

You leave me stumped as well. Everything that you have stated that you have attempted is well according to Hoyle. You tried both linear ports of the LNBF, you removed the switch and tried it directly that way, you detect all the circular DBS sats with very good results, you have your settings all correct as near as I can tell and you have tried more than one linear sat. You should have detected something from one of the sats/TPs from THE LIST.

Doggone if I can find any fault in what you are doing.

There is either something wrong with the receiver or with the LNBF.

Have you used this receiver before, or is this VS also brand new to you? I don't think I have ever heard of this type of failure from a STB before, but I guess anything is possible.

I have also never had any bad luck with the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF, but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a defect with one.

I think I would suspect the LNBF first. Do you have another one to test? It doesn't have to be the same model, just a standard linear LNBF. I think that I would start there, the LNBF seems to be the most suspect component and easiest to troubleshoot.

RADAR

Unfortunately, I dont have another LNB:(.. I guess Ill have to go get one and try it. Linear LNBs at the store where I got all my equipment (except the receiver) are not expensive..

I got the receiver from a yard sale.. I am going to take it to a friends house and test it there as he has a linear setup... I'll let you know the outcome

Unfortunately, I dont have another LNB:(.. I guess Ill have to go get one and try it. Linear LNBs at the store where I got all my equipment (except the receiver) are not expensive..

I got the receiver from a yard sale.. I am going to take it to a friends house and test it there as he has a linear setup... I'll let you know the outcome

Jscrimshaw,

Heck yes, by all means. If your friend has a linear setup (motorized or single fixed point) and he knows that it works, plug your receiver into that and test it there first. That will give you a lot of information.

Maybe he will allow you to take his receiver to your place and perform some further checks.

RADAR

yeah I'd remove the switch and hook directly to the "L" side and see if that helps

I cant see the LNB going bad

I don't have any real likely ideas, however I notice that you didn't list the polarity on the linear settings. Ie make sure you have it set to vertical not horizontal.
Also, the linear sats are much weaker, and you could easily be receiving all the circular sats and still not be aligned properly for the linear sats. You may need some elevation adjustment in addition to your searching just with the motor via diseqC-1.2. When the motor is where you think the sat is, you might go out and lift/pull down on the dish a bit and have someone watch to see if you get a lock. With Nimiq so close, it's hard to find AMC9 via a meter reading, you just have to a bit until you get a lock.
Also, you might check to see if your linear side is working by trying to lock the 12224 V 20000 transponder on the next door Nimiq sat. That will often come in even when aimed at AMC9, but if not, move the dish to Nimiq but use the linear side to tune it. It's strong enough that it will lock with a linear lnb. I just checked with my QPH-031, and it locks fine on V polarity.
That should at least tell you if it's an aim problem or LNB/switch.

Thanks for the help guys.. Unfortunatly, the LNB was bad.. I went out and got a Linear LNB, mounted it on the dish and now I'm getting the linear sats in the arc..:D. I also got a circular LNB and I'm going to mount them both together so I can get my NASA TV instead of watching it online

Again, thanks for the help

Glad you got it going, usually it's something more complicated than just a bad component.
Scrounge yourself a c-band dish and you'll really enjoy NASA! and more.

Jscrimshaw:
I would be greatly surprise if the Invacom QPH-031 is bad. I have a motorized 90 cm metal dish and I switch out LNBs alot when I go from a very light single linear LNB to the Invacom I have to adjust the elevation of the dish. The weight of the Invacom bends the dish out of alignment, I usally have to lift the elevation to get it to work correctly. When I take the heavy Invacom off and mount a lighter LNB I get no signal and have to lower the elevation. Circular signal are so strong in comparison to linear that they will work on a msaligned dish and have strong SQ.

So I am with BJ on this one try adjusting your elevation before you mark the linear side of the Invacom bad.
MikeLib

Also, not sure if both linear ports were tried? I've seen times when (I thought) one of the linear ports went bad, but switched to the other one, and it was fine. Then several months, that port went bad, switched to the one that was bad before, and then IT was fine?!?!?!?
I'd bet that eventually at least one of the linear ports will work, if not both.

If I recall correctly, Invacom LNBFs have a 5 year warranty... I don't know if that will help you, but its worth checking into. On my oldest Invacom QPH-031 (now 4 years old), the feedhorn cover deteriorated. I need to see if I can get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

There is either something wrong with the receiver or with the LNBF.

Have you used this receiver before, or is this VS also brand new to you? I don't think I have ever heard of this type of failure from a STB before, but I guess anything is possible.

I have also never had any bad luck with the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF, but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a defect with one.

I think I would suspect the LNBF first. Do you have another one to test? It doesn't have to be the same model, just a standard linear LNBF. I think that I would start there, the LNBF seems to be the most suspect component and easiest to troubleshoot.

RADAR

Thanks for the help guys.. Unfortunatly, the LNB was bad.. I went out and got a Linear LNB, mounted it on the dish and now I'm getting the linear sats in the arc..:D. I also got a circular LNB and I'm going to mount them both together so I can get my NASA TV instead of watching it online

Again, thanks for the help

I did have a suspicion of the LNBF, but I am certainly surprised. Especially with an Invacom. The Invacom has a very good track record.

As TRON stated, they have an excellent guarantee policy. I would have it replaced under warranty.

RADAR

Today, I went to over to a friends house to test the invacom (He has one too) We mounted it to his dish and we got nothing from the linear sats.. We tried everything. I emailed invacom about the situation and I am waiting to hear back

Today, I went to over to a friends house to test the invacom (He has one too) We mounted it to his dish and we got nothing from the linear sats.. We tried everything. I emailed invacom about the situation and I am waiting to hear back
Sounds like you have a genuine Invacom QPH-031. I was going to ask if it was a clone, such as the Monster LC-101. I've heard some people have had trouble with these.

About 3 years ago out of a new batch of 12 Quad output universal Invacom LNBs I had 7 that were considerably deaf on the lower LO. Invacom changed them no problem and they are still my preferred manufacturer. Their specifications are honest and the LNBs are well made. I've used them in temperatures -5F to 110F without problems.
Sorry Guys this not an advert.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)